Menu

s/o McGuffey ... What school reader do I want?

silver

I remember a poster here saying she had her daughter read McGuffey by reading the definitions first, then the story, then the definitions again. This process helped her daughter learn to get the meaning of words from context so that she could eventually read the definitions after the story.

If I wanted to use a set of readers (any readers, not just McGuffey) this way for my son and also wanted to use the same reader to teach him more lively oral reading, what readers/editions would be best?

My son does not currently pick up lots of new vocabulary from read alouds and his own reading and he also reads very flatly when he reads aloud to me. I'm trying to find a simple approach to use about once a week or so with him. I don't want a full curriculum that includes grammar, handwriting, copywork, etc. I just want to focus on learning how to get new vocabulary from context and lively oral reading skills.

That was me, I would just use the 1879 McGuffey Readers and skip any types of stories or poetry that you do not like, there is a variety in each book. The Parker Readers have elocution advice that might help, you could consider those as well, both are free online to try.

ETA: Parker Reader links are at the end of my Webster page.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/webstersway.html

Are there any modern versions with self-pronouncing text? If so, you would want to do some basic syllabary lessons.

Some have marks above the vowels. Other, like mine are just broken into syllables and follow the basic syllable rules that were so widely taught before the marks over vowels started to be added in the mid 1800's. I'm no expert on this, but I don't think the syllabaries and numbered vowels are inferior to the marked vowels that came later.

• 4 weeks later...

For eloquent reading, you want literary and interesting stories.  (Treadwell wins, hands-down!imho) You also need to give your child a boost in decoding the words before meeting them in the story.  Most kids cannot decode unfamiliar words and read with fluency and expression at the same time.  Most adults can't do that either, for that matter.  We just have a much larger working vocabulary.

I'm in process of creating word-building exercises for the Treadwell Readers. (A Companion for the Second Reader is just newly out for sale. The 3rd reader Companion is being shined up right now as my ds will be using it this fall.)  After building the words, practicing them, and gaining that familiarity, reading them in context flows smoothly. I do include plenty of copywork b/c I think that is a major part of the learning-to-read puzzle. It's not just handwriting practice.

For vocab/dictionary, I would do that sparingly. Pull out words from the story, work on building/decoding anything that might cause a stumble, but only look up words when he really doesn't know the meaning.  Otherwise, I think that would become laborious, tedious, and turn him sour on reading.  Talking about the words will lead to greater understanding.  Re-reading the paragraph where a new word appears and discussing the context will help him become better at deriving the meaning through reading.  

Poetry!!!  B/c of the way poets play with words, studying poetry will likely help greatly for a child who has trouble deriving meanings and reading with expression.