Menu

paragraph writing?

lgliser

I use Writing With Ease and First Language Lessons.  I like them both but once in a while something pops into my mind and I wonder, "when are we going to learn that?"  Today it's how to write a paragraph!  We did lesson 70 of FLL (level 2) and we wrote  a letter.  It said to make sure the student indents the first line of the paragraph.  And yes, I explained what that was and even what a paragraph was.  But I really like my scripted curriculum and with our FLL and WWE when we learn a definition, we memorize it and that's the definition we go by.  So I didn't have any written definition of a paragraph! 

Then I went to Pinterest to see if they had any ideas for helping 2nd graders learn paragraphs and of course they do.  They have things like the first sentence is indented and it's the main idea of the paragraph.  Then details to support it, bla bla bla. 

So my question is, when in these curriculums are we going to learn this?  I was going to maybe do some of the pinterest things but if it's coming up, then I could wait.  I don't see it in our books for this year.

We didn't start working on paragraphs until late in third grade, halfway through WWE 3 and FLL 3. I just used a few exercises out of an Evan-Moor Workbook that I got at a thrift shop. Worked fine.

This year for fourth we are using Treasured Conversations, which spends lots of time teaching paragraphs.

I have enjoyed and learned lots from SWB's lectures on teaching writing. If you are using PHP curricula, you might fond them very helpful!

• Like 1

We are using FLL 4, though we skipped it in the fall because TC is heavy on grammar in the first section. When we got to the second section of TC, we picked back up with FLL 4. We do the grammar and the narrations but not their poetry list. (We do our own.) Dd and I both enjoy FLL. Yes, I am a grammar nerd!

For paragraphs, you might look at Killgallon paragraph books too.

I pulled out my copy of Paragraphs for Elementary School to see if it would be good for a second grader.  We're going through the Killgallon Elementary School series right now and I think the book would have been overwhelming for my kids to work through in 2nd or 3rd grade. 

That said, check the book and the program out for yourself.  I think you might really enjoy reading the paragraph book and the  pointing out  some of the ideas in your lessons now when you want to talk about paragraphs.  We started using it this year and I really like the program as an adjunct to our grammar and writing programs.  I think the Heinemann site has some lengthy excerpts on their website.  The order that we are using the books is as follows:  Sentence Composing, Story Grammar, and we'll use Paragraphs last.  We will definitely continue on with the Middle School series. 

I agree with ScoutTN about listening to SWB's lectures on writing.  Of course the one about writing in the elementary years would be a great place to start, but "Writing without Fear" and "Great Books as History" are really good too. 

• Like 1