Menu

typing...

This came through on my email and I can't remember if anyone has ever mentioned this typing program for dyslexics before?  It looks interesting.  DS is getting to a level in Type to Learn 4 that is causing him daily struggles.  I am considering switching him since his subscription is almost up.  Anyone use this?

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/TouchTypeReadSpell/?source=CD-2015-03-02-B&utm_source=Ext+Emails&utm_campaign=CD-2015-03-02-B&utm_medium=email&c=1

• Like 1

My boys did Type to Learn 4 for a year. I didn't realize how much pressure Type to Learn 4 puts on kids - hurry and finish a mission while racing the clock. Not good for my dysgraphic, developmental motor d, dyslexic, perfectionist.

When our annual subscription expired, I dusted off an old "Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum Version 5" CD. It's nothing special, but a winner with my boy because it's silly and has no since of urgency.

I've not heard of anyone taking as long to learn to type as my DS10 has, but I'm thrilled that he knows letters, comma, period, backspace, and return key at 23 wpm with 95% accuracy.

His 10 key skills are not proper (wrong fingers on wrong keys) but he self taught himself during TimezAttack. I'm not sure if I want to ask him to relearn proper 10-key or not. "20 minutes typing is on his homeschool list" and he prefers to do it before any other school work.

If you are a member of the Barton Tutor gmail group, you could search for her post ask for typing software recommendations.

Hope you find something that's a hit with your son!

DS started Type to Learn 4 nearly two years ago.  :)  He has been slowly making his way through the program, but his dysgraphia issues/dyslexia/perfectionism/motor planning troubles (gee, sound familiar?) have made it a bit of a slow slog.  He loved the program, though.  He loved being a Secret Agent saving information.  I went ahead and renewed the subscription when it ran out the first time because he did enjoy the program and was making progress. 

He is older now, though, and he has started to hate his typing lessons.  I think that 1. he needs a change of pace since he has been at this two years and 2. the level he is at is too hard.  He probably needs to back up a couple of levels and work through from there but he does not want to. and 3. at 11 he is no longer as thrilled with being a Secret Agent on a typing program.  Now a Secret Agent in real life...?

I have not joined the Barton gmail tutor group.  I don't recall knowing there was one.  Hmmmm....

• Like 1

Revisiting this thread:  Did anyone get this?  I showed it to my dd dyslexia tutor and her first thoughts were it is a British company, and they spell many things differently.  I haven't look into it much but wondering if they have a USA English spelling version.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

O.k. here is a bit of an update.  DS has been getting really high scores on his typing with this program, but he already had been doing another typing program for quite a while.  I don't know how this program works if a child is getting lower scores.  Hopefully it goes through and reviews really well.  Since he is getting high scores it just moves him on to the next thing.  I don't know that the instruction is terribly robust or clear on some things.

But what was really interesting for DS and I was that yesterday it started him doing dictation instead of just typing what was on the screen.  This is way earlier than his other typing program (although that may be because of the high scores).  He sort of panicked and said he couldn't do it.  I pointed out that it was just CVC words that he had typed before and had written out many times in Barton.  He stared at me like I had grown a second head, then "light bulb"!  OH!  These are just normal words, not weird word?   :confused1:  :laugh:  Yes, honey, these are just "normal" words, not weird words.  Typed beautifully and got 98% right...Afterwards, he told me he would remember this moment forever because he successfully typed dictated words (and a sentence) that someone besides me was reading to him.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Well he is now in module 20 of level one and still doing well.  His lowest score was 94% accuracy.  Usually he is closer to 97%.  

Although for younger students I think Type to Learn 4 is more interesting, it can also be pretty challenging if you set the age to upper elementary since it expects a child to remember how to spell.   If a child can't spell well yet, then some of the exercises are more challenging.  Just setting the age range a bit lower helped us.  Also setting the accuracy requirement to 95% and the w.p.m. requirement to 5 when DS first started out (as Susan Barton recommended, I believe) gave DS a chance to process through the program and work on accuracy, not develop bad typing habits by working on speed too soon.  TTL4 was a good fit when we started out.  DS loved saving information and being a Secret Agent.

Now, though, he needs something for an older child and he needed a change of pace.  He likes that the program does dictation but that the dictation is all phonics based and only dictates words to him that he has already practiced typing.  So far, it is cvc words plus a few sight words that are practiced for a few lessons before dictation begins.  I do like the program so far.

Thank you SO much for this update.   Again, it is really hard to find any reviews for this program.  

I still don't know what would work best for my 8.5 year old.   I really hate to waste money on something that isn't going to be a good fit for him.  

I know exactly what you mean.  Does your son like the idea of typing games and being a Secret Agent?  Or would he find those things silly?  Or do you really want something that will reinforce reading/spelling skills with a kind of OG approach (sort of).

DS needed TTL4 so he would stay interested in typing.  Typing was HARD for him.   As is writing and anything else along those lines.  TTL4 was FUN.  It kept him engaged.  

TTRS gets the job done and DS certainly likes the dictation now since dictation through TTRS is something he can actually do successfully.  It is a good fit now.  I don't think he would have found it fun at 8.  It would have simply been a chore or task to complete.  I realize that not everything or even most thing in life are fun.  I did want him engaged and interested, though, since the task itself is so hard and so many other things he was having to do were hard, too.  Lets face it, even as adults if we find something fun, even if it is hard, we are much more likely to be enthusiastic and want to work at it.

Have you looked at Homeschool Buyer's Co-op for prices and maybe samples of both systems?

• Like 1

I know exactly what you mean.  Does your son like the idea of typing games and being a Secret Agent?  Or would he find those things silly?  Or do you really want something that will reinforce reading/spelling skills with a kind of OG approach (sort of).

DS needed TTL4 so he would stay interested in typing.  Typing was HARD for him.   As is writing and anything else along those lines.  TTL4 was FUN.  It kept him engaged.  

TTRS gets the job done and DS certainly likes the dictation now since dictation through TTRS is something he can actually do successfully.  It is a good fit now.  I don't think he would have found it fun at 8.  It would have simply been a chore or task to complete.  I realize that not everything or even most thing in life are fun.  I did want him engaged and interested, though, since the task itself is so hard and so many other things he was having to do were hard, too.  Lets face it, even as adults if we find something fun, even if it is hard, we are much more likely to be enthusiastic and want to work at it.

Have you looked at Homeschool Buyer's Co-op for prices and maybe samples of both systems?

Yes, I think he would like the spy game.   At least for a little while.   I know when working on his math facts, he really liked Timez Attack for awhile.   However, after a few months of the game, he decided to switch to the less fun Xtra math.  He likes being able to simply "check off the practice as being complete" without all of the bells and whistles of the game.  

As his mother, I wouldn't mind some extra phonics practice built in.   I am DESPERATE to get this kid reading.  ;)    Ugh.  (Sorry, that is just my own exhaustion talking.  lol)    I am all about efficiency and like the idea of one activity working on several skills at once.   But that is my own personality. 

I am going to check out samples of both.   Thanks so much again for this thread and everyone who took the time to reply! 

• Like 1

Yes, I think he would like the spy game.   At least for a little while.   I know when working on his math facts, he really liked Timez Attack for awhile.   However, after a few months of the game, he decided to switch to the less fun Xtra math.  He likes being able to simply "check off the practice as being complete" without all of the bells and whistles of the game.  

As his mother, I wouldn't mind some extra phonics practice built in.   I am DESPERATE to get this kid reading.  ;)    Ugh.  (Sorry, that is just my own exhaustion talking.  lol)    I am all about efficiency and like the idea of one activity working on several skills at once.   But that is my own personality. 

I am going to check out samples of both.   Thanks so much again for this thread and everyone who took the time to reply! 

I forgot, what are you using to teach reading?  Oh, you probably have it in the link.  I haven't checked the link yet.

FWIW, while this typing program might reinforce existing basic reading skills, I would not consider it useful for teaching reading to a child that struggles in reading AND is just learning to type.  At least not my kid.  Of course, he is dysgraphic so that very definitely affected the landscape.  

It took a very long time for DS to learn to type.  ALL his resources were going to proper finger placement. proper pressure on the keys, proper movement of the finger from one key to another, translating what he saw on the screen to what he needed to do with his fingers, etc.  I really like TTL4.  Visually it is very interesting and it gives really pretty well done explanations of things.  It also has interesting tidbits of information that you are "saving".  DS loved that.  But yes, his focus was not on reading AT ALL.  It was just on trying to type.  

I am certain it would be the same with TTRS if we had started with that program.  Reading was just not something he could focus on when he first started learning to type.  The words on the screen rarely registered for the longest time.  They were just a bunch of letters because he was having to work so hard just to type 5 w.p.m. accurately.  But he liked the typing games with TTL4.  He could only get to the games after he had successfully completed the lesson, so that gave him incentive and they were good for reinforcing the typing skills he was learning.

• Like 1

FWIW, while this typing program might reinforce existing basic reading skills, I would not consider it useful for teaching reading to a child that struggles in reading AND is just learning to type.  At least not my kid.  Of course, he is dysgraphic so that very definitely affected the landscape.  

It took a very long time for DS to learn to type.  ALL his resources were going to proper finger placement. proper pressure on the keys, proper movement of the finger from one key to another, translating what he saw on the screen to what he needed to do with his fingers, etc.  I really like TTL4.  Visually it is very interesting and it gives really pretty well done explanations of things.  It also has interesting tidbits of information that you are "saving".  DS loved that.  But yes, his focus was not on reading AT ALL.  It was just on trying to type.  

I am certain it would be the same with TTRS if we had started with that program.  Reading was just not something he could focus on when he first started learning to type.  The words on the screen rarely registered for the longest time.  They were just a bunch of letters because he was having to work so hard just to type 5 w.p.m. accurately.  But he liked the typing games with TTL4.  He could only get to the games after he had successfully completed the lesson, so that gave him incentive and they were good for reinforcing the typing skills he was learning.

That makes sense.  (Focusing on one specific skill at a time I mean.) 

To answer your other question....   Currently we are using All About Spelling for spelling.  And we are using All About Reading for reading coupled with the I See Sam readers and Sonlight Grade 2 readers.   He has a great phonic awareness thanks to those programs.  it just isn't clicking with reading yet.  We **just** found out that my son needs reading glasses.  We are waiting for them to come in.  I am hoping that this is going to be the solution I have been waiting for.  But I am not holding my breath.  ;)   

• Like 1

That makes sense.  (Focusing on one specific skill at a time I mean.) 

To answer your other question....   Currently we are using All About Spelling for spelling.  And we are using All About Reading for reading coupled with the I See Sam readers and Sonlight Grade 2 readers.   He has a great phonic awareness thanks to those programs.  it just isn't clicking with reading yet.  We **just** found out that my son needs reading glasses.  We are waiting for them to come in.  I am hoping that this is going to be the solution I have been waiting for.  But I am not holding my breath.  ;)   

I'm really tired so my brain is only sort of working, so I apologize if you have mentioned this but I can't recall, have you had an evaluation?  If you are facing dyslexia or stealth dyslexia, then you may need something that breaks things down even further than AAR.  Or something completely different like High Noon.

I would still get something systematic for typing if possible.  Hopefully, you and your child can check out sample lessons and pick something you will both be happy with.  If you do decide to get a typing program, even thought the program is doing the teaching absolutely make certain you stay nearby and correct poor posture and incorrect fingering WHILE IT IS HAPPENING.  This skill can be hard to acquire so while they are focusing on one thing, other previously learned skills may fall by the wayside.  Your child may need gentle reminders about posture and fingering throughout at least the early lessons.  If poor posture and fingering get practiced and ingrained it is 10 times harder to unlearn the poor typing skills and relearn the correct way later on.  MUCH easier and more effective in the long run to spend the extra time being vigilant and helping form proper skills in the first place.

FWIW, DS did another lesson this evening of TTRS and is still quite happy with the program, even though it isn't as fun as TTL4.

I am just curious how long it has taken other kids to learn to type.

My dd has been typing for twenty minutes a day, three times a week, since October. She is still at 10WPM with her home row keys! I was hoping that typing would be the panacea to unlock all of the amazing thoughts in her head, but it's not working out that way. We are currently using Ratatype (free, online). Before that we used Typing Instructor For Kids. She found that too distracting and spent way too much of her twenty minutes dealing with the annoying program. She likes Ratatype (or at least she does it somewhat willingly). 

My dd has been typing for twenty minutes a day, three times a week, since October. She is still at 10WPM with her home row keys! I was hoping that typing would be the panacea to unlock all of the amazing thoughts in her head, but it's not working out that way. We are currently using Ratatype (free, online). Before that we used Typing Instructor For Kids. She found that too distracting and spent way too much of her twenty minutes dealing with the annoying program. She likes Ratatype (or at least she does it somewhat willingly). 

This entirely depends on the kid.

DD and DS started Type to Learn 4 nearly 2 years ago.  They did it daily, 5 days a week, for 2 years, including most of the summer.  DD has pretty good eye hand coordination but even she had trouble getting everything down smoothly and accurately and once it got to dictation she slowed down considerably because she has a hard time holding words in her head.  She still has one finger that does not hit accurately all the time, which frustrates her no end, but she is definitely improving in her typing.  She can get up to 20 wpm but usually she is at 15 wpm.

DS, on the other hand, has dysgraphia.  It was a looooong hard slog but he really liked the typing program so he kept at it for nearly 2 years, typing daily, even on weekends and definitely through summers.  He liked TTL4 because he was a secret agent.  At first he could barely make one or two words per minute.  I had the setting at 5 w.p.m. but he couldn't even make that at first.  He kept at it, though, and he can now do 5 wpm up to 10 wpm.

This year both kids wanted to switch typing programs so DD went with Typing Pal and DS just switched (as mentioned upthread) to TTRS.  They are both doing well with accuracy (testing in the 95th percentile and higher nearly every lesson) but DS still types at about 5-10 w.p.m.  That is better than it was when he first started, though, as mentioned.  DD is at 15 w.p.m. up to 20 wpm and is increasing in speed and accuracy.  Every year they do improve so we keep at it. 

• Like 1

During the 2nd half of 5th grade, DS practiced 1st thing in the morning for 20 minutes at 5 days per week.  He took a brief break midway.  He practiced this way for one full school semester.  He returned to the classroom for 6th grade and took a mandatory typing class for one quarter and did very well until the last lesson.  DS struggles with using the shift keys.

DS struggled for the longest time with speed.  He would type so fast that errors were a major problem.  It took some time, but I finally convinced him that accuracy trumps speed.  Once he bought into that idea, he slowed down to be more accurate and speed started to increase.  

DS probably spent two weeks getting past the f and j keys.  While in the classroom 4th and 5th grades, his typing teacher was horrible and insisted upon speed.  It took some doing to unstick that incompetent woman's teaching.  Also, he did not realize that the f and j keys have raised dots on them.  Once he figured that out, finger placement improved significantly.  It helped that I purchased an ergonomic keyboard.  

I am not wholly convinced that typing instruction should occur much before 5th grade unless you can find keyboards that are small enough.  I bought KWT for my 1st grader and the sheer keyboard size alone is too much for her.  She enjoys KWT, but I have stopped her from using it.

ETA:  Typing can be really hard for kids with motor control issues. OhE's DD wound up using the DVORAK layout due to mid-line issues.  

• Like 2

During the 2nd half of 5th grade, DS practiced 1st thing in the morning for 20 minutes at 5 days per week.  He took a brief break midway.  He practiced this way for one full school semester.  He returned to the classroom for 6th grade and took a mandatory typing class for one quarter and did very well until the last lesson.  DS struggles with using the shift keys.

DS struggled for the longest time with speed.  He would type so fast that errors were a major problem.  It took some time, but I finally convinced him that accuracy trumps speed.  Once he bought into that idea, he slowed down to be more accurate and speed started to increase.  

DS probably spent two weeks getting past the f and j keys.  While in the classroom 4th and 5th grades, his typing teacher was horrible and insisted upon speed.  It took some doing to unstick that incompetent woman's teaching.  Also, he did not realize that the f and j keys have raised dots on them.  Once he figured that out, finger placement improved significantly.  It helped that I purchased an ergonomic keyboard.  

I am not wholly convinced that typing instruction should occur much before 5th grade unless you can find keyboards that are small enough.  I bought KWT for my 1st grader and the sheer keyboard size alone is too much for her.  She enjoys KWT, but I have stopped her from using it.

ETA:  Typing can be really hard for kids with motor control issues. OhE's DD wound up using the DVORAK layout due to mid-line issues.  

This.  Read this Minerva, and take this post to heart.  Heathermomster has some pearls of wisdom here.   :)

And absolutely, without doubt, emphasize accuracy WAAAAY over speed.  Speed means NOTHING if there is no accuracy.  Work on accuracy.  Work on correct finger placement and movement and body position.  Keep speed expectations off the table until accuracy is there.  Plan on this taking just as long as it needs taking.  That might mean weeks, months, years.  

• Like 1

Oh, and good luck!  I know this can be very frustrating.  :)

I failed to mention this.  I went to OSHA's website and printed up some ergonomic directions and followed them.  DS had a terrible time sitting properly and I stood over DS and corrected posture A LOT without realizing he needed OT/PT.   Funny though,  I never took the child to OT until the summer after 6th grade.  The OT detected some developmental motor issues which were addressed.  Two years later and last fall to be precise, I took DS to a recommended PT and more developmental issues were detected.  The PT worked with him for about three months and son's sitting and standing posture improved noticeably.  I wish DS had seen the PT three years ago.  PT work involved cross body exercises with weights, the elliptical, and exercises that I have seen on the Focus Moves cover.

Try not to get upset about the typing.  While working with DS, I reason that his issues, be they reading, handwriting, EF, or math, require long term work and strategy.  I don't want my child frustrated either.   We have played around with dictation sw, and I have explored some adaptive keyboarding.  I can't seem to wrap my head around adaptive keyboarding but would likely seek a professional for that if I had to.  Thankfully, I don't.  I guess what I am trying to say is, do what works for your child to get them functional.  Typing is step one in a larger process of writing paragraphs and organizational issues with DS.  If the typing is too much, stop and try again in a year.  While you backup, explore other options and maybe see a qualified PT. 

• Like 3

Oh how I wish I could see a PT. Dd would definitely benefit from it, but no such thing exists where we live. Thanks for the recommendations Heathermomster. I will definitely check out Focus Moves and the Osha's ergonomic directions.

Today I told her to work only on accuracy during typing. She got 6wpm with one mistake (doing all of the home row keys). 

Like most things we are doing these days, I am afraid to take breaks. We just tumble backwards so fast. I recognize that we get burned out but haven't figured out how to take breaks without starting at square one. The best I can do is try to mix things up as much as possible and keep frustration to a minimum. 

Little by little...

• Like 1

Oh how I wish I could see a PT. Dd would definitely benefit from it, but no such thing exists where we live. Thanks for the recommendations Heathermomster. I will definitely check out Focus Moves and the Osha's ergonomic directions.

Today I told her to work only on accuracy during typing. She got 6wpm with one mistake (doing all of the home row keys). 

Like most things we are doing these days, I am afraid to take breaks. We just tumble backwards so fast. I recognize that we get burned out but haven't figured out how to take breaks without starting at square one. The best I can do is try to mix things up as much as possible and keep frustration to a minimum. 

Little by little...

What helped here was when I started looking at the big picture plans for our year, and then the individual resources we are using and created an overall schedule.  I started with the day I intend for us to take 2 weeks off at the beginning of summer.  Then I worked backwards, laying out how many lessons needed to be completed each week to be done with what we want to be done with.  I keep it broken up by subject on one list and by week on a cross referenced list.  I schedule in a break every 5-6 weeks.  Usually no more than a couple of days unless there is a Holiday.  Having it written in a schedule I can see where we need to adjust and still have breaks built in.  Does that make sense?  I'm fighting some horrific allergies right now and may not be making any sense.

Everyone needs breaks.  Yes you may lose ground if the breaks are too long.  Try looking at the big picture and see if you can rotate in scheduled breaks that you KNOW are coming up.  Breathers that give you both some time off, that you can count on, but that won't be so long you start back at square one.

Good luck.