Menu

Social Skills & Pragmatic Language

I have a ds8 who has social delays and pragmatic language issues. He also has traits of ADD/SPD/Spectrum stuff, but not enough for an official diagnosis. His neuro ordered occupational therapy, but we've been on the waiting list for 6 months. We're about to move and I guess we'll have to see where that leaves us.

In the meantime, I would like to work with him at home. He just finished speech therapy so I feel like he can handle it without overloading him. He needs explicit instruction in understanding social cues and things like responding appropriately to questions.  Is there a book or something we can read through together? I hate to correct him every time it comes up, because it feels so critical and he just doesn't know why what he is doing isn't right. But he picks things up very quickly with explicit instruction.

Thank you!

The New Social Story Book, Revised and Expanded 10th Anniversary Edition: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday...  If you start here, you can just rabbit trail the other recommendations.  Your library may have many of them, as ours did.  

That will be great if you can get OT where you're moving to.  Maybe go ahead and call and get on somebody's list?  That's horrible to have to wait 6 months, mercy.  OT can be life-changing.

Our area has social skills groups.  Some are run through SLPs and some are done through private orgs.  Our county health department has funding for SN.  It's not a ton, but it's enough to pay for social skills groups.  It's on my hit list for my ds, who like yours has speech issues and needs help but didn't get an ASD label.  The lady who runs one locally assures me it will be a very diverse group.  

The DSM is pretty screwy, and I think you just have to deal with what you see.  Kids go up labels and down labels from eval to eval.  You still have to deal with the issues, no matter what.  Did somebody already mention the Social Thinking website?  There's also another book that was helpful to *me* to understand part of what I was trying to accomplish.  Raising a Thinking Child was the name, and you can get it through the library.

• Like 1

Thank you!

The Model Me Kids dvds look great.

I checked our library and struck out, so I'll have to order the books from Amazon.

Our doctor suggested a language social group, but so far we have been unable to locate one with kids his age. The doctor thinks having him in a younger social group would defeat the purpose. ;) We're moving close to a major university, so I think we'll have a lot more options in the future.

Thanks for all of your help!

Okay, I just realized the socials kills group you were talking about is different than a speech social group. How would I find something like that in our new town? Health department? University website?

I feel like I'm wading through quicksand. Maybe I'll feel more plugged in when we finally get going with OT.

my daughter has just started participating in a social skills group.  It is the  highlight of her week.  She loves it. (putting it mildly)  Michelle Garcia Winner developed a curriculum for helping kids learn/utilize Social Thinking.  Maybe do a google search with her name and the name of your city  along with the words speech therapist (??)     I just did that to see what I came up with, and found at least one local speech therapist who offers social group (not the same one my daughter goes to).  So that might work for you.

I just happened to hear about the group my daughter is a part of (run by a speech therapist especially interested and trained in social thinking). But one of the universities near my house also offers social groups.   If the univ near you has a center for developmental disabilities (or something similar) check that out.

• Like 3

my daughter has just started participating in a social skills group.  It is the  highlight of her week.  She loves it. (putting it mildly)  Michelle Garcia Winner developed a curriculum for helping kids learn/utilize Social Thinking.  Maybe do a google search with her name and the name of your city  along with the words speech therapist (??)     I just did that to see what I came up with, and found at least one local speech therapist who offers social group (not the same one my daughter goes to).  So that might work for you.

I just happened to hear about the group my daughter is a part of (run by a speech therapist especially interested and trained in social thinking). But one of the universities near my house also offers social groups.   If the univ near you has a center for developmental disabilities (or something similar) check that out.

Thank you!!! I just googled and found several speech therapists who specifically mention in their bios that they use Winner's methods--YAY!

• Like 1