Menu

Hive shopper: eyeglass frames

wapiti

I'm pretty sure this is impossible, but if anyone can do it, the Hive can!

I love the size of my current frames but I really want rimless (the evil-old-lady glasses aren't so cute on an actual old lady.  I have had rimless before, but in sizes that are far too big for my small face).  The problem is that my current, perfect-size frames are... kids frames.  And kid frames do not come in rimless.

I'm looking for 47-16-130.  It shouldn't be this hard...

I've worn rimless from Zenni for a couple years now.  They're ok and survive, nothing to write home about.  This time I didn't upgrade the lenses and they're CRAP, embarrassingly thick.  Don't make that mistake.

It will be a bit of an annoyance (including needing to use Google Chrome if you're on mac, as Zenni's site doesn't work with safari), but I assume they'll have rimless in your nose bridge size.  Then you select the lenses you want and you're there.  The legs aren't a big deal because they're this soft material, not as precise as american glasses.

Silhouettes, if you can afford them, would be amazing.  I'm looking at them for my dd.  Just the problem of the $$$.  The ones she would need are $400+ for the frames and another (don't ask, probably $250) for bifocal lenses.  But for particular needs they're awesome.  I had a pair of Jill Stuart glasses I adored, but to replace the lenses was just so pricy.  I have to have my glasses, so I would have had to send them out and be without or something, dunno.  I get headaches with major shifts in glasses.  For me it's easier now just to use Zenni and have the curve of the lens be the same every time, trying to reduce that headache.  If you tend to get that, might be an added bonus.  Other bonus is that they're cheap enough you can have a little fun.  My computer glasses are springy with butterflies.  :)

Don't even get me started, lol.  And I THOUGHT they used to have the boxes to narrow your search.  Nobody seems to do it by nose, even though, for me, that's the major issue in comfort.  If you want to laugh, my nose is a 19. Do you know how hard 19 is to find in stores??    :D

What you do is click the rimless for the type.  Then they show you like 12 pictures that are representative of MORE under those.  So you click one of those and dig in, clicking every. single. stupid. frame until you find your options at your nose size.

On the plus side, once you get it figured out, it's painless to reorder the next year with your new scrip.  You might keep the frame, change the color, but it will still be there.  I like that continuity.

So you click one of those and dig in, clicking every. single. stupid. frame until you find your options at your nose size.

Thank you!!  ok, that's what I thought, but then it didn't make sense that they would make it so hard.  It ought to be searchable.  I feel better knowing that I wasn't missing something.

eta, maybe the problem is that I'm on safari?  Maybe I'll just use the old laptop tomorrow...

You can search by bridge size.  Their website is weird. If you click on "women" at the top of their page, you can't find the right search feature.  Instead, scroll down to "New arrivals" or "best sellers" and click the "women" link there. Then you will have a "refine your search" button that has a "size" tab and you can select a bridge width.

I know this because I spent HOURS trying to find certain size glasses for my 9 year old and I was furious they didn't have those search options... until I finally found those search options. 

• Like 2

Thank you!!  ok, that's what I thought, but then it didn't make sense that they would make it so hard.  It ought to be searchable.  I feel better knowing that I wasn't missing something.

eta, maybe the problem is that I'm on safari?  Maybe I'll just use the old laptop tomorrow...

Yes, you have to use google chrome.  Or maybe they fixed their site to work on safari.  Half the stuff didn't work, so now I just open chrome to go to zenni.  Otherwise I don't use chrome.