Menu

Looking for elementary Physics resources - electricity, force, motion etc.

DS who is 7 is very interested in learning Physics. We have informally done Physics for a long time with him - topics like Force, Speed, Velocity, Acceleration, Newton's laws, Conductors, Insulators, Polarity, atomic structure etc. We have used whiteboards and hand drawn illustrations to teach these topics informally. He thinks that he is ready to learn these topics in detail and even do some experiments. Any resource recommendations? TIA.

If you are willing to work with him, Backyard Ballistics & Art of the Catapult are fun Intro books. They involve building various forms and sizes of artillery. Not a standard textbook, but a bit of history, science, lab work, etc. all mixed in.

Physics of Superheroes is fun but dense! You would have to go slowly. It adds in equations, but it is not systematically. The idea is more to be used as a fun way to apply the concepts to specific superheroes.

If you are wanting more hands on Thames and Kosmos kits have been very successful there. They are reusable have a teaching working book which explains through the hands on building. Very much the discovery method,

• Like 2

Holt's science and technology series is quite good for the younger set.  We also have the Thames & Kosmos kits, which are good for kids needing hands-on.  DS8 is using Conceptual Physics (at a 2-year pace) and loves it, but I don't know that I would recommend it for wide use without some basic mathematical maturity.  I would think it's good to line up with pre-algebra, or anytime thereafter.

• Like 1