Menu

Possibly stealth dyslexia - diagnosis worth it?

My 7yo is on grade level with his reading. It doesn't come as easily as I'd expect, especially considering how bright he is with other things. He has to sound some words out over and over again before they become automatic. I have worked a few different reading/LA programs with him, always beginning where it would be too easy and allow him to work until he is frustrated. Then we either move sideways, pause the curriculum, back up with different things, etc. Basically we keep reviewing and sounding junk out over and over again. His comfort reading level is somewhere around a late second/early third grade level.

He passed the LIPS screening. He's not technically behind, but he really shouldn't struggle this much. (The other day he was reading a book that said, "stretch and stretch." He said the first stretch automatically and then went on and incorrectly sounded out the second stretch. :headscratch:)

Would it help to have him evaluated or should we just continue working it over and over again? My girls (one older, one younger) were or are capable of keeping moving forward with the same program and it's incremental steps. It seems like this kid needs to repeat the same lessons 3, 4, or 100 times before he retains it.

And, yes, his eyes have been checked by a COVD. They are fine.

Yes, the diagnosis is worth it. Because even if he is keeping up or is ahead now, if he is stealth dyslexic, he is putting in a TON of effort to get to that point. He may not be able to keep up that same amount of effort and get the same results as the material levels up in late elementary school. If the dyslexia is a factor, you need to get out ahead of this now and get the supports in place based on his specific issues so that he doesn't drown in the middle years. I was told it was coming by the neuropsychs and I just didn't believe it, but it is absolutely true as I can attest from this year. We are getting more organizational supports in place and I'm accommodating for the slow processing speed, but there is just no way my 2E stealth dyslexic can function normally with the middle school expectations without accommodations and adjustments. From what I hear and read, as the brain matures in the teenage years there is a lot to look forward to, but the middle can be tough without specific info and supports.

• Like 4

What everyone else said.  :)

Get the eval.  You need solid answers.  He may have some great underlying strengths that are actually masking the underlying issues.  He could crash and burn later on because the real issues were never directly addressed.  At the very least you should not have to guess any longer, you may get some really useful ideas for a better way to assist him, and you may discover some great underlying strengths he can tap into.  

Best wishes.

If you can find the money in your budget, get an eval. You never know what surprises it might uncover. If you had asked me a month ago what I thought was causing my youngest DD's reading struggles, I never in a million years would've predicted the answer would be "profound hearing loss".

• Like 2