Menu

I've read through several of the NCAA threads, but have a question I did not see addressed. My daughter is taking Spanish I, but the instructor has created the text. How does that work with the clearinghouse worksheets? Has anyone used Derek Owens classes and successfully had his classes approved? I would imagine that would be similar to our Spanish classes.

Thanks for any help.

• 2 years later...

List yourself as the "Teacher of Record" and the outside instructor as "Other Teacher." Unless the outside course is from an accredited provider approved by NCAA, you are the person responsible for assigning the final grade and issuing the official transcript, so you are the "Teacher of Record."

For "Curriculum Designed/Provided By" list the "other teacher" if they actually designed the curriculum or the assessments, the author or publisher of any books or other resources used, and yourself if you added anything extra to the class. It's very easy to add some extra reading material, or Great Courses lectures, or field trips, additional discussion, etc., to an outside class, so that the outside class becomes just one component of your homeschool class. NCAA loves textbooks, so if your course doesn't include one, you can pick up a cheap used textbook to use for reference and include that in your list of curriculum/resources.

For "Assessments graded by" list the other teacher, yourself, and any outside testing that was done in conjunction with the course (e.g. AP, SAT2, CLEP, NLE/NGE, etc.), and include a statement like "Final grade assigned by [your name]."

As an example, this is how I filled out DS's Core Core Worksheet for Greek 3:

For "Teacher of Record," I listed myself, with Regan Barr as "Other Teacher."

For curriculum, I listed the 2 textbooks that were used in the class, plus 5 NGE practice exams from the ACL. 

For "Curriculum Designed/Provided By" I listed Regan Barr, The Joint Association of Classical Teachers (authors of the main textbook), the author of the 2nd textbook, and the American Classical League.

For "Types of Assessment Used" I put: "15 quizzes, 5 practice exams, and the National Greek Exam"

In the "Assessments Graded By" box, I wrote: "Regan Barr, [my name], American Classical League. Final grade provided by [my name]."

For "Grade Based On" I wrote: "15 quizzes (99% average), 5 practice exams (95% average), and the 2015 National Greek Exam (Highest Honors)."

By adding the extra practice exams (which I purchased and downloaded from the ACL website, and graded myself) and including NGE prep and his exam score as part of his course grade, the Lukeion class became one component of a homeschool class supervised and graded by me, rather than being a "nontraditional course by an unapproved provider."

If you've read some of the past threads on NCAA approval, you'll see that in the past they have rejected classes by "unapproved providers" even when the coursework was validated by a 5 on the AP exam. So ideally you want to write up your Core Course Worksheets in a way that presents any outside classes as one of several components of a homeschool class, supervised by the parent, with a final grade assigned by the parent.

• Like 3

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all that up - I am getting the feel for it. Need to add some things into this 9th grade year so that I can do what you are saying but I think that is OK.  It is all hair raising and crazy when you don't really know that you will need it in the end!  Again thanks so  so much for writing that up!  Happy New Year! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I am just starting the paperwork for the NCAA and have a question about filling out Core Course Worksheets for courses taken online with Veritas Press.  I noticed that they are approved for non-traditional courses but my son is not in their scholars program; he just took 2 classes.  How do I fill out a Worksheet for those or do I do something different since Veritas Press is approved?  Thank you.

Hi. I am just starting the paperwork for the NCAA and have a question about filling out Core Course Worksheets for courses taken online with Veritas Press.  I noticed that they are approved for non-traditional courses but my son is not in their scholars program; he just took 2 classes.  How do I fill out a Worksheet for those or do I do something different since Veritas Press is approved?  Thank you.

I think you'll need to ask VP that question. Their website says:

VPSA can only assist you with the eligibility process if you list your child as a student of VPSA. For Premium families, you may contact your personal consultant directly; all other service levels must contact 1-800-922-5082 or diploma@veritaspress.com for assistance

• 2 weeks later...