Menu

Wool dryer balls--has anyone used these?

Hikin' Mama

I bought these https://www.etsy.com/listing/58822103/natural-wool-dryer-balls-set-of-three?ref=shop_home_feat_1 and really like them.  I have 6 of them.  They do NOT help with static cling very much, if at all.  They do seem to reduce drying time and the clothes come out nice and soft.

I think the ball shape is important as they tumble around and help the air move more around in the dryer.

• Like 1

Yes.  I LOVE mine!  My dryer is TERRIBLE.  The dryer vent is waaaaaaaay too long which means it takes many, many cycles for my clothes to dry :(    Finally, my clothes are now drying in half the time.  YES!!!   As long as I don't over dry (impossible in my dryer) they have helped with static too.   We only have one specific pool towel that has static now.  

I have six large ones in my large LG dryer.  I'm even debating adding a few more.  

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Sheep-Reusable-All-Natural-Softener/dp/B00GA9P5P0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425507076&sr=8-1&keywords=wool+dryer+balls

If your dryer is slow, you have thoroughly cleaned out all lint buildup, right?  RIGHT?????

Please, please, please, make sure that it is thoroughly cleaned.  It's a serious fire hazard, and one of the first symptoms is increased drying time.

• Like 2

I've heard aluminum foil balls work well for softening and static, tho I doubt it would shorten drying time.

That just reminded me! I saw somewhere that you can put a safety pin through something (one of the balls, a piece of clothing) in your dryer and that is supposed to help with static. I have tried the foil balls before, but wasn't really impressed. I doubt the pin is going to do much either, but worth a try.

If your dryer is slow, you have thoroughly cleaned out all lint buildup, right? RIGHT?????

Please, please, please, make sure that it is thoroughly cleaned. It's a serious fire hazard, and one of the first symptoms is increased drying time.

I'm guessing this is directed at me. Yes. Don't worry, I don't have increased dryer time, it has been this bad since the day we built the house, purchased the dryer and moved in :(. The dryer vent is easily 20 feet which is a huge no no. I don't know why they chose to run it under that floor and out the side of the house. We are looking at having the vent rerun straight out the closest wall, 1 foot, when we get the funds.

About a month ago I took the whole dryer apart, including the drum, to replace a back roller. Obviously I could not clean out the 20+ feet of venting but the rest of the dryer was cleaned thoroughly.

I'm guessing this is directed at me. Yes. Don't worry, I don't have increased dryer time, it has been this bad since the day we built the house, purchased the dryer and moved in :(. The dryer vent is easily 20 feet which is a huge no no. I don't know why they chose to run it under that floor and out the side of the house. We are looking at having the vent rerun straight out the closest wall, 1 foot, when we get the funds.

About a month ago I took the whole dryer apart, including the drum, to replace a back roller. Obviously I could not clean out the 20+ feet of venting but the rest of the dryer was cleaned thoroughly.

And at Hikin' Mama's son and DIL.

I'm glad you cleaned out your dryer thoroughly.  I'd encourage you to have the venting professionally cleaned if you can't get it yourself (I know I don't have the tools!  But a duct cleaning company probably could.)

It's one of those, "I know people who...." things, you know?  I worked in the insurance industry and there was a VERY large claim (multiple millions of dollars) from a factory which burned badly due to lint in their dryers.  Yeah.  Fortunately it was "just" a business and not a home, and nobody was injured as far as I know.  But dryer lint buildup is serious stuff.

• Like 1

If your dryer is slow, you have thoroughly cleaned out all lint buildup, right?  RIGHT?????

Please, please, please, make sure that it is thoroughly cleaned.  It's a serious fire hazard, and one of the first symptoms is increased drying time.

Thanks for this warning.  We had checked ours and thought it was fine.  Today dh ran a new run that is much shorter and direct and he found that our old vent was about 80% plugged further down the line that we couldn't see.  We are hoping this reduces our drying time but quite a bit.

• Like 1

We also have a very long drier vent run, and we have had great luck with this vent cleaning kit.

You hook the rods up to a hand drill and slowly feed them into the vent to clean it out.  It works wonderfully.  Our vent is long enough that we first unhook the drier from the vent and feed the rods into the vent from that end (it goes around the bends in the vent just fine).  Once we have all 12' inserted that direction, then we pull them out and repeat the process from the exterior end of the vent.  Each time we clean the vent we remove a lot of trapped lint and we improve drying times significantly.

Wendy

I've heard aluminum foil balls work well for softening and static, tho I doubt it would shorten drying time.

I have a newer LG dryer, using dryer sheets will void the warranty, apparently it messes with the electronics. I'm not sure if aluminum foil could potentially cause similar problems but I would use caution and possibly check with the manufacturer first.