Menu

Finished phonics - what next?

Reading Pathways has a section on multi-syllable words, where they build them up syllable by syllable.

Can she orally blend syllables into words? I mean, if you said "in" "cred" "i" "ble", with a distinct pause between each syllable, can she blend them together into "incredible"? Especially with words that aren't in her spoken vocabulary? I ask because my dd had issues with word guessing and multi-syllable words, and it turned out that she couldn't reliably blend syllables together into words *orally* - on some words she'd do fine (usually ones she knew) but on some she'd add or subtract syllables or switch the order, and couldn't ever manage to get those particular ones right - just kept repeating the mistake. It's pretty hard to sound out a multi-syllable word in print when you can't actually blend sounds together ;).

(WRT the word guessing, can your dd read phonetic nonsense words as easily as she can read real words? In our case, it turned out that dd8 actually couldn't blend at all - not even two or three sounds. She could somehow figure out nonsense words as wholes (though it was hard for her) - probably the result of the year and a half of solid phonics-only reading instruction we did - but she could not blend at all, and that tripped her up on longer words. Phonetically-informed guessing was all she could do. She was good at it, too, which is why it took so long to realize she was unable to blend at all. I was the same way, as I realized when I tried to learn Greek and couldn't apply my knowledge of what sound each letter stands for to actually sounding out Greek words - all those English-alphabet-based phonetically-informed guessing skills mean *nothing* when it's a different alphabet and you don't have an oral vocabulary in that language to help you out.)

Can you share what you've heard negative about Foundations D? We're about to finish B and I am planning on using C, not sure about D yet, hoping to make C last until after our local homeschool convention so I can take a look at my options.

I love and use BJU phonics reviews with my 3rd grader. Its a big worktext that goes through all the phonics rules again, with plenty of practice. It is ment for 2nd-4th graders to freshen up, or those that need extra help.

It is simple, a page a day, inexpensive, and truly works. I used it for my dd as well when she was about 8.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=2&category=904

(you do not need the answer key book.)

• Like 1

(WRT the word guessing, can your dd read phonetic nonsense words as easily as she can read real words? In our case, it turned out that dd8 actually couldn't blend at all - not even two or three sounds. She could somehow figure out nonsense words as wholes (though it was hard for her) - probably the result of the year and a half of solid phonics-only reading instruction we did - but she could not blend at all, and that tripped her up on longer words. Phonetically-informed guessing was all she could do. She was good at it, too, which is why it took so long to realize she was unable to blend at all. I was the same way, as I realized when I tried to learn Greek and couldn't apply my knowledge of what sound each letter stands for to actually sounding out Greek words - all those English-alphabet-based phonetically-informed guessing skills mean *nothing* when it's a different alphabet and you don't have an oral vocabulary in that language to help you out.)

She can blend quite well, so at least there's that...

Can you share what you've heard negative about Foundations D? We're about to finish B and I am planning on using C, not sure about D yet, hoping to make C last until after our local homeschool convention so I can take a look at my options.

A number of people are choosing to not use it as it has them reading from different books, kind of like a step between the reading program and chapter books, and it's a little pricey for that.

I have considered having her redo level C, to reinforce things. Thanks for the ideas!