Menu

Help for 5th grade math whiz

bnneale

My fifth grader has completed Teaching Textbooks through Algebra 1 with ease.  I know T.T. is a little on the easy side, but I'm not sure I'm ready for my elem. schooler to start geometry or algebra 2 next year.  He is still a normal 5th grader, even a little on the immature side.  Does anyone have any ideas for how he could spend his year?  I would love something supplemental that could challenge him, but that he would truly love.

I was thinking the PreA of AoPS as well. If he has done TT the base information would be there to extend off from. You could "tread water" in the math sequence by actually giving him significantly higher depth of understanding. Secondly, the PreA book shares many of the same chapter titles as the Intro to Algebra AoPS book. The first chunk of Intro to Algebra expands on much of the PreA book. Only once again magnifying the depth considerably. It would be a good way to transition where your son's chronological age could catch up, but still really be learning a lot.

• Like 2

No suggestions for something he would truly love (though we have done chess, the competition math book available through AOPS, and other things), but I thought I would mention how we did things.  I have an 8th grader, and I feel that algebra and pre-algebra are the foundation to success in the rest of math.  My 6th grader is finishing up Algebra via forester now but I slow things down when we hit pre-algebra/algebra.  Because there are so many different opinions out there on what constitutes each, we can spend a long time firming it up. First he did Saxon pre-alg.  Then we got the Prentice Hall(?) pre-Algebra book and hit all the topics we had missed.  Now while he takes a course using Forester, we are using the Prentice Hall Algebra books to extend any topics forester misses.  He also spends about 1/2 an hour a day doing Math Counts or Competition Math problems.  In the past I have also allowed him to spend a couple of months moving ahead on Khan Academy.

I'm about to follow the same path with my 9 year old.  He will start Saxon Pre-algebra next week and we also enrich with Math Olympiad problems, but when we finish, we will go through a more traditional, more challenging pre-algebra text we well.