Menu

Feedback from someone who has used EiW for multiple years?

mindygz

I started my reluctant writer 4th grader on EiW Level 3 after Christmas break and I feel like it is going pretty well, and by that i mostly mean that he is completing the assignments without too much difficulty/complaint. I am interested in when this program gets more into independent writing. I think the basics/grammar stuff is good, though it is mostly review, I'm just trying to see what lies ahead and also wondering if IEW would be better, or if I should stick with this because it is working okay. 

Bumping this.  I'm curious to hear how it's worked for long-term users also.

We just started using level 3 and since we are going light on grammar this year, we skipped to CD 2 and the writing assignments.  When we jump back into grammar next year, I am going to have the kids do 2 lessons per day - one from CD 1 & one from CD 2. 

I haven't used the younger levels, but have used levels 7-10, and those were all independent writing. I did watch the videos with my kids, so I could add my commentary if I wanted and so I'd know the emphasis of the lesson, but they did the work on their own. Then I helped with revision (and I think you really can't skip that process with a student, especially if you have writers with any kind of language struggles).

Anyway, it has worked very well for my reluctant writer and my not-so reluctant writer.