Menu

work/break cycles

I decided to try a 'pomodoro' style technique with DD (tween) -- where if she worked hard for 20 minutes she could take a 5 minute break to get water, move around, play ping-pong, whatever she wanted (with a caveat of no screens allowed).    Previous to that for this type of work, we had done more of a 'just keep going 'til you're done' method -- but DD spends a lot of time hyperfocused and/or rabbit trailing (spending far too much time on something unimportant for example)  so part of the idea is to stay focused in on what's most important for that 20 minutes -- and the short time allows her to regroup after the break.

ETA: Let me add that this is for work on her own -- usually math problems or writing at this point.

But what I was wondering is - what do you think (generally) is the optimum time for focusing and breaks?  20/5 is what we're doing as a 'starter' -- I have been thinking that DD should work up to longer and longer times - but what is optimum?  

45 is what we do here, because that works for my current fourth and seventh graders. 45 gets a solid chunk of work with mom done, or a couple of small subjects (like language on the computer and typing), or one larger subject (literature, history, math problems after I've gone over the lesson with them). And it keeps us on hour-long blocks, 45 minutes of work, 15 minutes of break. More than 45 seems like a lot for my kids to concentrate.

• Like 1