Menu

Spanish Resource List- Please add!

I tried to search for a Spanish resource list but couldn't find one. I know plenty of books are available via Amazon, but what are some other resources everyone is using? Math in spanish- aside from MEP, MM and MIF.....

Any science curric actually IN spanish?

Spanish phonics? Beginning readers?

Any great student centered newspapers in Spanish?

Muzzy, Little Pim.....

What about other cartoons/tv shows (other than Dora) all in Spanish?

For cartoons you can do a search for "Nat Geo y yo" or simply dibujos animados.

I am sure there are threads on learning to read in Spanish so you might do a search for that. El Barco de Vapor has a lot of great titles for kids just starting to read.

BBC has Mi Vida Loca- 12 episode interactive drama for beginning Spanish

Annenberg has Destinos archived, which is similar but uses a telenovela format and looks like it was filled I'm the 80's, so probably not interactive. I haven't tried using it.

BrainPop has a Spanish version with a variety of topics. I've only used the free parts.

I've come across a few things science-related and fewer history- related, but almost all is translated which lowers its value in my mind. Plus, my Spanish is not good enough to teach a content subject with any spontaneity on my part, so I need fairly self-contained resources.

ETA: El Español con Juegos y Actividades is a short series of grammar/vocabulary books using games ore activities for practice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the links. I will get onto the youtube episodes right away! I am going to investigate the Spanish play options on all the kids DVDs that we own (we do have quite a bit of Magic School Bus and Dora and Diego).

Renai, I look forward to your suggestions (no hurry, please take your time).

Renai,

Have you used the R&S Spanish? What do you think about them? We are going a new route next year, with all my dc attending B&M schools, the youngrst at a Mandarin immersion school (k). I would like to after school in Spanish to make sure he and my ten year old do not lose fluency and improve their grammar.

Danielle

For very beginning readers, we found that there was a decent amount of usable Spanish material at local bookstores, and it allowed a young child to pick out a book with pictures that captures his or her interest.

At the next level, simple chapter books, we didn't find much of quality at bookstores.  Most of what seemed to be quick translations of popular story books originally written in English.  While they may serve a purpose of allowing new immigrants to read books that might be discussed with kids who grew up here or at school, we didn't find much value in them for bilingual education.  We travel to Latin America roughly annually, so we picked up some books at bookstores there; the selection isn't nearly as good as you can find in bookstores here in the English language and the prices are sometimes relatively high.  As Renai mentioned above, Santillana USA, the US branch of the Spanish publishing house, has books in Spanish (native, not translated) and their site is: http://www.santillanausa.com.  That's the best source of books we've found here, besides trying to sift through Amazon.

We didn't really find curricula in Spanish for math, science, etc., that matched what we could find in English.  So, despite the fact that my dear wife is far more comfortable in Spanish, we went almost exclusively with books in English and DS usually read them on his own from a very young age as I was working long hours.

If your kids are bilingual and read English, it's probably pretty easy to teach reading in Spanish (Spanish first, then English may be a lot harder).  It literally took me 10 minutes, five minutes one day and five minutes a second day, to explain the difference in "rules" for reading Spanish vs. English, and DS could read Spanish.  So I'm not sure that phonics books in Spanish would be needed.

For videos, we found quite a few shows in Spanish and bought some videos.  I think that on-the-air Univision has some kids shows at some time as well as news broadcasts, sporting events, etc.  Although less widespread, Telemundo or Telefutura are other options, and they probably also have web sites.  The BBC has a lot of news material in Spanish, at http://www.bbc.co.uk/mundo. You can also check out CNNespanol.com or the web sites of news organizations in the Spanish-speaking world; it will generally take a little screening to find news stories appropriate for the age of your kids.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Blaine Ray has a graded readers series, many available at Amazon. The vocabulary and grammar topics are restricted so you can focus on comprehension, but they've managed to produce complete short novellas with a coherent story-line. (I'm not sure I would use them all, so caveat emptor. I liked "Mi Propio Auto," a Level II reader which has a boy reluctantly going to a poor country, where . . . well, he learns things!)

Here's the list of Level I readers, and you can navigate to the rest: http://www.blaineraytprs.com/shop-online/spanish/level-1-spanish/level-1-novels

Another useful discovery: this woman is a fluent French teacher in Quebec teaching herself Spanish for free; she has great resource lists:

http://www.tobefluent.com/free-online-spanish-resources/

I've been teaching myself Spanish and some of what I've used could be useful for an older student, especially one who appreciates the Bible. Certain Bible translation combinations have worked well as I've learned, and tie in nicely with free online audio. https://chapter51.wordpress.com/resources/

(A non-commercial site.)

Happy exploring!

Edited to add: I just received a link to this bilingual audio for children: https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/sara-jordan/?source=HEF-2015-06-24&utm_source=Offer+Emails&utm_campaign=HEF-2015-06-24&utm_medium=email

I have been looking for material to teach reading to a first grader or younger, and I wasn't satisfied with what I was finding. I am a native Spanish speaker, and I prefer a full immersion approach. Anyway, I discovered some good stuff.

Spain's Amazon site offers many workbooks and textbooks for all grades in many subjects, all in Spanish, and the international shipping costs to the USA aren't horrible: http://www.amazon.es/libros-texto/b/ref=nav_shopall_tb?ie=UTF8&node=902673031

My favorite find so far, though, is this Spanish (from Spain) blog that has made available hundreds of full workbooks in various subjects for download. This one is free, and I'm in love with it: https://fichasparaimprimir.wordpress.com/

"Fichas para imprimir" is very easy to navigate. I haven't seen any teaching guides, and, perhaps because I'm looking at primary grades content, I haven't found it was really detrimental. The workbooks available are largely self explanatory, although it is admittedly better suited for use by a parent who knows the language well.

I hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there anything at all with an English translation that I can use as a guide to teach DD to read in Spanish? I'm looking for phonics. Are there any used textbooks I can buy? I want to know how to teach her letter sounds, how to divide syllables and beyond...not just the easy basics. I want a go-to resource with clear explanations. I need a guide to know what order to go in.

I would also like to find a letter sounds poster for the wall that equates Spanish sounds to English. For example, a picture of a monkey saying oo-oo or whatever for u.

DD is very likely dyslexic, so please don't say Spanish is easy and we don't need all that. We do. I am spending the year teaching her new vocabulary and how to read Spanish. We are starting with vowels and doing a letter of the week kind of thing. This will be DD's fourth year studying Spanish and I am not fluent (high school + college for me).

Right now, I have La Pata Pita, the Spanish high-frequency word readers downloaded from Reading A-Z and some letter and reading comp resources downloaded from Teachers Pay Teachers.