Menu

W&R Chreia

I've heard this book is a big jump from Narrative 2. Would you recommend using WWS in between Narrative 2 and Chreia or did your kids jump into it fine after Narrative 2? I'm using Narrative 1 and 2 next year but I realized there are only 22 (or was it 23?) chapters between the two of them so we will still have another 10 weeks at the end of the year left. I'm undecided at jumping into Chreia or doing something else in between. I will have a 4th and 5th grader. 

Hm. It's sort of a big jump, and sort of the next logical step, KWIM?  I think that if a kid completes Narrative 2, and if they are ready for some deeper thinking and analysis, they should be able to move into Chreia.  The Chreia essays are very, very structured, so it's not like you are going from narratives to a 6-paragraph essay.   You are, but it's very broken down, paragraph by paragraph.  Super incremental.

That said, the Chreia/Proverbs themselves can be kind of challenging, and the student has to come up with examples from their own knowledge of history or literature to illustrate them - examples and counterexamples.  This can be challenging for a kid, and more challenging the younger they are -so I think that they might need extra assistance with this, and they may need more time, more rewrites etc.

It's nothing like the jump between WWE & WWS.  And, having used both Chreia and WWS, I would say that Chreia still comes before WWS.  The reading passages are easier.  I can see a 5th grader doing fine with Chreia, but WWS is a stretch for most 5th graders.  We did it in 5th, but in retrospect would have probably gotten more out of it later.

Your 4th grader, you will just have to wait and see how they handle Chreia.  I have trouble picturing my current 3rd grader doing Chreia in 4th, but they change a lot at this age, and they're all different.

• Like 1

I might be the only one here using Cheia with a fourth grader since it's such a new book. I would say that discussion sections that come before writing really have you do the essay orally, so if you spend enough time talking about each point in detail, the writing portion becomes easy. We have done only two full Cheias, so maybe this changes later on in the program, but so far we haven't found Chreia unreasonable. Also, I have my son write his first draft on his own, but we do discuss and rewrite his original. Learning is rewriting, right?

• Like 1

Oh good, Roadrunner, I knew you were using Chreia and hoped you would chime in.   Shannon didn't use Chreia till the beginning of 7th, and as it was kind of below-her level, she did it very independently, without all the lead-up that is built into the program.  And Morgan hasn't used it yet, so it's a little hard for me to gauge at what level it's ideal for.

Although I think your boys are exceptionally strong writers!  Above average, like all the kids at here at Lake Woebegone.  ;)  :D

• Like 1