Menu

Your favorite tiny books?

My 7 year old loves tiny books. There's just something about a little book for little hands that is so satisfying. 

So far she has read and loved The Nutshell Library and all of the Beatrix Potter books (they are the *perfect* size for little hands, IMO.) I also just ordered her a Brambly Hedge box set for her Easter basket and while they're a little larger in size, they're still fairly small and right up her alley of cute, sweet stories about little animals. 

Tiny books are fantastic, tiny books in tiny box sets are even better. Suggestions for other diminutive books that I should check out for her? Do you and your kids have any favorite miniature books?  

• Like 1

Okay, and Amazon is telling me that many of the Eric Carle books also come in miniature format. Eric Carle, of course, varies wildly between "better for toddlers" and "better for young readers".

The Sun Egg seems to come in a miniature edition as well. And come to think, the Gossie and Gertie books are pretty small, although maybe a little young for her?

My daughter loved the Beatrix Potter mini books! She took them out of the library so much that I bought her the set.  They are still loved by her and I don't think she will ever part with them. 

We also have The Fur Family as a mini book.  I believe this is the one that we have--ours is cover with fur and was smaller than the Beatrix Potter books.  Make sure you check the dimensions to make sure I liked to the right one.  I loved reading that book with her.

• Like 1

My daughter loved the Beatrix Potter mini books! She took them out of the library so much that I bought her the set.  They are still loved by her and I don't think she will ever part with them. 

We also have The Fur Family as a mini book.  I believe this is the one that we have--ours is cover with fur and was smaller than the Beatrix Potter books.  Make sure you check the dimensions to make sure I liked to the right one.  I loved reading that book with her.

I bought her all of the little Beatrix Potter books at the beginning of the school year. It was a bit of a splurge, but I don't regret it one bit because working through them has made her into a fluent reader, plus they're the kind of heirloom books that she'll keep forever. 

We have a few Maurice Sendak books, "Pierre" and "One Was Johnny"

We have those. There are four of the tiniest books ever in a one itsy box set.  :001_smile:

I have seen really small Dr. Seuss books.

Okay, and Amazon is telling me that many of the Eric Carle books also come in miniature format. Eric Carle, of course, varies wildly between "better for toddlers" and "better for young readers".

The Sun Egg seems to come in a miniature edition as well. And come to think, the Gossie and Gertie books are pretty small, although maybe a little young for her?

Yes, most of the Dr. Seuss and Eric Carle books are all a bit on the young/easy side for her now I'm afraid. 

These are probably too young:

PD Eastman collection

Dr. Seuss collection

Richard Scarry collection

Gyo Fujikawa's Little Library collection -- board book/pre-school

Little Critter Busy Mini Collection -- board book/pre-school

Little Animal Miniature series

Maurice Sendak Nutshell collection

This one is probably low-interest:

Flower Fairies of the Wayside -- collection of poems

Maybe these?

Where's Waldo: The Magnificent Mini Boxed Set

Silver Penny Treasuries: Fairy Tales, Classic Tales

Little Golden books -- 8"x8" -- may be a little bigger than what you were looking for, but these are wonderful

Children's Classics series -- here in one

When DSs were young, we had a number of smaller size books. You might look around at Good Will shops, yard sales, and ebay for some. Off the top of my head, I remember:

- vintage Little Golden Books (5.5"x6" and 2.5"x3" ones)

- small size Little Critter and other Mercer Mayer books -- here's one, another, and another

- small (about 4"x5") soft-cover staple-bound children's books from Walmart (we had a set of 6 "Bug Town" books and another set of 6 about anthropomorphized cars/trucks/boats)

• Like 2