Menu

Another Jan vs June diploma question

Joules

I'm thinking this through before I propose it to ds, but I want to make sure I have all the pros and cons to present. 

He's a junior and has been accepted to an honors dual enrollment program (at a university not cc) for his senior year, so this seems like a no-brainer.  But with AP tests approaching and after several grueling years, I sense that he's burning out.  After AP he is retaking both the SAT and ACT in June and then we'll finish up one class from junior year and do one for senior year in the remaining summer.  Then he'll start dual enrollment for fall.  Fall will also be full of college apps, since most places he's looking at have EA options or benefits.

If he takes everything that he needs in fall to graduate, then he could take a gap semester (+ summer) to catch his breath and actually have time to work on his own projects, without the constant distractions of other classes (or the "I should be...")  He's an incredible writer, and though he does write now, he just doesn't have the weeks on end he needs to delve in and finish a novel.  (That, I must say, is maddening for those of us who really want to know what happens to these characters!)  He's also done a good bit of programming, but has a couple of projects he'd like to do that would take more time that he has.  It's really nothing impressive enough for a formal gap year, but I know that he may not have the free time again for many years.

Though he has good test scores, we're really not looking at lottery schools and with no "need," we're not looking at private schools, just in and out of state publics.  His scores are already in the top 25% of most of his choices, but he's trying for higher.  

So this is what I see so far:

Pros of staying in school and taking more dual enrollment classes:

1. It's crazy cheap.

2. They are honors classes.

3. More credits for higher standing or maybe transfer (definitely transfer in-state, maybe out-of-state)

4. Could take more AP tests in spring for more credits.

Pros of taking a break:

1. A breather while he is still young to do something besides school.

2. A chance to finish that novel.

3. A chance to grow in other ways than academically.

4. Time to focus on just one thing at a time.

Neutral:

I'm not sure the colleges will care.  We'll just put the four classes from DE on the transcript and he'll be accepted or not before spring semester even begins.

Nothing he does in spring (even if impressive) will matter on his apps.

Dh and I talked about it and we're fine either way.  I think it would be good for him to be able to make the choice.  I just want to make sure that I'm not suggesting something that is an awful idea.  I don't think he'll really think of it as an option if I don't say anything.

First, I just want to applaud your clear-sightedness and desire for balance -- supporting your DS's personal interests by looking for a way to carve out time for that, being aware of the limited time he has for exploring, and for being aware of possible burn-out and working on a plan to defuse that. That is awesome! Good for you! :)

You didn't mention what field DS is interested in going into, as that might slightly influence what to do now for the rest of high school. Without that info, JMO:

I don't think pushing to the limit for another 15 months is going to significantly increase the student's attractiveness to colleges. It will not raise the GPA significantly. It will remove the ability to do the extras and personal interest activities, which may be the very thing that helps DS stand out as an interesting and attractive student for college applications. And it certainly runs a high risk of burning out the student before even getting to college.

Also state colleges tend to have lower endowments, so even if he could leap from top 25% to top 5% (not possible), he's not likely going to be earning significantly more merit aid. What could help is finding a smaller college of interest with lower average SAT/ACT scores so that his scores put him in their top 5-10%, which could result in a significant amount of merit aid, as he would be very attractive to that school. But, I digress...

Here's what I would do, not knowing the degree program or specific college(s) he's interested in:

- NO summer school

Gives him recovery time for the push of senior year and helps him finish this semester strong seeing that there IS an end in sight. Gives him time to work on his novel and personal projects, which double-dip by giving him some recovery time. Gives him time to work on college admission essays and applications so that's not happening simultaneous with starting an honors dual enrollment program, and is ready for EA deadlines (some are by Nov.).

- Do the honors dual enrollment program...

...IF the classes help towards his future AND he can handle the load. I couldn't quite tell from your post, but it didn't sound like DS has done dual enrollment before, so be very careful about jumping into a new next-step-up schooling setting at full throttle -- i.e., a January graduation so doing 4 honors dual enrollment in 1 semester. There is definitely a learning curve to classroom learning at college level of material and college class *pace*. Dual enrollment grades are part of the *permanent* college transcript -- make sure they are two GOOD grades per semester, not four mediocre or poor grades from one semester -- either way, those grades follow him forever. 

- No need for more AP if in honors dual enrollment, and already doing some AP this year, unless that is his natural working level and interest.

- A January graduation in order to have the spring semester free for personal noodling will likely look odd to universities. I would guess they would be expecting the spring semester to be used for a specific internship or program (ex: overseas classes/program, or travel to participate in a 3-month research internship program, etc.).

So, in answer to your thread title: No. JMO, but I don't think a Jan. graduation and taking the spring semester as a gap semester would help reduce stress before starting college, but is far more likely to have the reverse effect. I think taking this summer off while also using it for recovery / stress reduction by working on personal projects and applying to colleges, and then in the senior year doing the 4 classes of honors dual enrollment while finishing up the 2 classes planned for this summer and whatever other few courses are needed, will do the best job at keeping your senior year at a reduced stress level and finishing strong.

BEST of luck and best wishes for smooth sailing for the next 1.5 years till college! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 2

I like what Lori says, and I would certainly look at it carefully. I would prob go with that.

What we ended up doing was having ds work on 3 classes during the summer before his Sr year, calling it a full semester (he put in the hours), and then do second semester Sr year that fall, and graduate in December. We had a special circumstance, though--he wanted to graduate in the same "year" as his peers, who were younger than him because he was held back a year in 3rd grade.

He started CC in March (spring semester) after graduation, and also worked full time. He only took one class (well, 2, but he dropped it). He earned some $$ in that 6 months, and that was really helpful to his college costs. His "break" came in January and February.

But that's an unusual way to go about it, and his academic situation was different from what you say is your son's.

This is the first time I have seen/heard anyone question January vs June for graduation. o_0

When Mr. Ellie was in school in California, many students graduated in January instead of June, because it was common back in the day to take summer school classes every year and thus earn enough credits to graduate early. I just don't see why there would be a problem.

My ds burned out this year, his senior year. We considered graduating him in January. Instead, we dropped his load to 2 classes this spring, keeping his AP English so he could finish that credit and picking up .5 credit of trig. The rest of the time he is doing a lot of writing, some podcasting and keeping up his youtube channel. It has been very healing and he is now excited about starting college in the fall, where in December he was questioning his decision to go at all. I did talk to admissions at the college he is planning to attend to make sure it wasn't an issue, but he had all their credit requirements and they were not concerned.

If your ds needs the break take it. However, I would also encourage you to think of the middle ground. You can consider cutting back and giving him a lighter final semester so that he has the time to pursue interests, but still gets a couple of those DE credits. 

• Like 1