Menu

Curriculum suggestion for 8th grade 20th Century focus

lactansdea

My history minded 7th grader has expressed an interest in studying the 20th century next year.  I note that Tapestry of Grace has a 20th Century curriculum, but i confess i'm overwhelmed by the website and can't quite glean what it's like.  Also, i'm a very hands off teacher and do NOT do crafts, etc.

We've done SL in the past, and enjoyed it, and I have considered Core H, but I stink at doing read aloud reliably; so if I went with that it would have to be without the read alouds.  (Also I will have a fourth grader, so i'm not sure that the subject matter/grade level of those read alouds would be time well spent for us.)  

I like Mystery of History, but it seems to lack corresponding literature, so i'd have to reinvent the wheel.

Thoughts?

MR

K12's Human Odyssey volume 3 covers WWI to current.

My DS is using it independently. He outlines his readings WTMish-style. We add some lit and documentaries. We don't do crafts here either.  :D

Here's a link where you can view the table of contents and an excerpt. Don't let the list price scare you . . . it can be found much less expensively on the used market.  http://www.christianbook.com/odyssey-volume-3-modern-world-studies/9781601530189/pd/530188?event=ESRCN

You can search or ask here on the forums for accompanying lit if you want to add more to it.

• Like 2

So will your 4th & 7th graders be doing this together?  If so, I recommend MFW 1850-Modern.  Your 8th grader can do a good bit of it on her own... certainly all the advanced assignments, and probably more.  There's no law that says you *have* to do any of the crafts.  Your kids are old enough, in fact, that if they WANT to do any of the crafts, they should be able to do them independently.  Read-alouds are minimal... this is one reason I chose MFW over SL.  I didn't want or have time for a LONG list of read-alouds.  There's a very extensive *optional* booklist in back of the manual for extra reading for anyone who wants it.  Your kids can do that independently. 

Your 4th grader can do the science that's scheduled in MFW 1850-Modern, or not.  Your 8th grader would do her own science. 

If you're going to have them separated, then I recommend HOD Missions to Modern Marvels.  I'm not sure what to recommend from there for your 4th grader, though.  Do you want her in the same time period, but working separately?  Or does the time period for history matter?  You'll want to take a look at their scope & sequence and placement charts. 

In either case, every child always does math and LA at their own level, so just do whatever you need to do in those areas.

Also take a look at what you want them studying for Bible as you consider a history program, since these two subjects are often tied together.  Although I suppose you could just skip the Bible assignments in either program and buy *only* the history components.  I think you'd be a missing a lot of enrichment and worldview, though.