Menu

Interesting conversation with DH....

DH had to drive many hours in really bad weather overnight.  He was with a colleague.  He never drinks Red Bull but he bought several and was drinking them to stay awake (yes, not a bright idea and his mother and I were stressed all night).  His comment when he got home was that they actually do work.  He stayed awake all night.  But he hated how he felt on them because it kept him only focusing on one thing...the road.  He said it was frustrating because he couldn't think about 20 things at once like he usually does.   :confused1:  

I know he is dyslexic, dysgraphic and possibly has other issues.  He is also almost certainly gifted.  Now I am wondering if he is ADD as well....Red Bull is a stimulant, right?  And stimulants can be helpful to those with ADD/ADHD?  I know he doesn't think the ability to only focus on the one rather boring thing was a good experience, but honestly, unless something is of extreme interest to him, he can't focus on it for very long, and that includes the kids.  Being able to focus for a while on things that DON'T interest him might be a nice change of pace around here.   :)

ETA: I realize what I posted above makes it sound like DH doesn't have any interest in the kids.  That isn't true.  He loves the kids.  But when they are rattling on about their latest History factoid or talking about Art supplies or whatever, it seems almost painful for him to sit and listen for terribly long at all without needing to do 10 other things, too.  :)

• Like 3

Sounds like it!  Stimulants wake up the executive functioning part of the brain so ironically people with ADD are calmer and more focussed on them.

Isn't that what stimulants are supposed to do?

What do other people take stimulants for?

He frequently has his laptop, his smart phone and his radio all going at the same time, and sometimes the TV, too.

My sister and I both dealt with that in marriage and both won. That is extremely unhealthy for both of you. I usually have three electronics on at work (or more) on three screens, but in the bedroom? No. I am sorry you are facing that.

• Like 2

Well, DH and I compromise on a lot of things.  This is one of those things that we are still working on.  I get up way earlier than he does so he has to deal with me moving around getting ready while he is trying to sleep in.  Mayonnaise vs. Miracle Whip was easier.  We buy both.   :laugh:

• Like 2

The "caffeine flip" (where it calms the consumer down rather than amping him/her up) is supposed to be a hallmark of ADHD. I give my little one a small amount of caffeine in the morning with her ADHD medication and it does seem to help.

I never understood how my mom could use caffeinated tea at night to help her go to sleep until I heard about the "caffeine flip". She was diagnosed with ADD as an adult.

• Like 2

Interesting -- imo, caffeine makes my body wake up ( or jittery if too big a dose - which took a huge dose when I was younger, but less as I have gotten older) but I have always felt it does nothing to 'wake up' my mind.    The very few times I tried to study while taking a caffeine jolt I just felt 'brain dead'  However, it is interesting to think - was it really just that I felt that not going a mile a minute was 'brain dead'?

• Like 1

If I can't sleep, I drink coffee. The only problem is that I usually have to wake up to go pee later and then can't fall back asleep...

I hate having to wake up and go pee.  I really, really do.  But I get so dehydrated that I HAVE to drink something, usually water, before bedtime or I wake up with severe cotton mouth and a headache from lack of fluids.  Either way, I have to get up in the middle of the night.  I guess I'd rather go pee than wake up with a headache and cotton mouth...

• Like 4

So what is a good natural alternative to a soda?  Because of family history of health issues, he'd be better off drinking something other than a soda.  Although, thankfully, so far he's remained pretty healthy, unlike parents and siblings...

And FWIW, I amended my first post.  It made it seem like DH doesn't have any interest in the kids and that wasn't what I meant.  I just mean that when anyone (not just the kids) is trying to share information or do something like play a board game or whatever and DH has to sit and focus on that one thing he seems almost in pain and has to do other things, too, or he gets frustrated.

• Like 1

Does he like tea or coffee? I am assuming not from the question, but that is where I would start. You can also buy caffeine pills. If you do that, I'd start dosing like a cup of coffee and go from there.

I get the multi-tasking, sitting still, focusing thing vs. not be interested in the kids. It can lead to over-competitiveness or off the wall behavior if it turns into hyperfocus during a game--at least at our house. I'll leave out why I know that, but lets just say some games are not ones the whole family plays together here. Scrabble slam (or any speed game) with certain family members...shudder! Someone in my family MUST move to think if agitated or the least bit stressed or overwhelmed. Having a drawing pad has helped a bit. Or laundry to fold. Playing an instrument is calming as well.

• Like 1

BTW, it's good you recognize the look of pain for what it is. I have misinterpreted that kind of thing before (some people are really good at hiding their weaknesses for a long time or have other personality traits that could explain the ADHD angst), and I've taken it very personally. Still trying to get over that reaction when it happens.

• Like 1

So what is a good natural alternative to a soda?  Because of family history of health issues, he'd be better off drinking something other than a soda.  Although, thankfully, so far he's remained pretty healthy, unlike parents and siblings...

And FWIW, I amended my first post.  It made it seem like DH doesn't have any interest in the kids and that wasn't what I meant.  I just mean that when anyone (not just the kids) is trying to share information or do something like play a board game or whatever and DH has to sit and focus on that one thing he seems almost in pain and has to do other things, too, or he gets frustrated.

Trying to actually pay attention to someone who is talking to me is absolute torture.  LOL  People talk so slooooow!  My mind just keeps jumping here and there.  I do take medication and drink coffee now, so that helps. When I was younger I was just a fast thinker with the inability to have a conversation (except with other ADHD people-we all jump the convesation around). 

• Like 1

ETA: I realize what I posted above makes it sound like DH doesn't have any interest in the kids.  That isn't true.  He loves the kids.  But when they are rattling on about their latest History factoid or talking about Art supplies or whatever, it seems almost painful for him to sit and listen for terribly long at all without needing to do 10 other things, too.   :)

Wait, are you talking about your husband, or mine??  :lol:  :lol: 

• Like 2

Wait, are you talking about your husband, or mine??  :lol:  :lol:

:smilielol5: 

Well, DH travels a LOT.   He could easily be a two family guy and I would have no clue.  Maybe we ARE talking about the same guy.  :) 

If so, can you tell him he needs to go by his mom's house to help her with her computer?   :laugh:

• Like 4