Menu

Sigh, another MathCounts season is over

We improved our ranking a tiny bit (from #18 to #16), but no state qualifiers.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised; we haven't sent anyone to state in the 3 years I've been coaching.  I can't help feeling sad for the kids, though they probably care less than I do.  We've been working so hard this past year, I had three 8th graders on the team, and no one made the top 16.  

Thanks for letting me vent.  Yeah, I know, first world problems.   :nopity:

Along the same lines, none of the middle schools in my district even participate, there were no African Americans, and supposedly there were a couple of Latino students, paltry compared to their actual population in the chapter.  Now that is deserving of outrage.  

• Like 3

Oh too bad.  This year a lot of the countdown round questions were redacted presumably because they had been leaked, maybe on the internet.  

I should say that I am also very relieved to be done with MathCounts for the rest of the year.  Next year, prep will be much easier because I've already completed most of the exams for the past 6 years.  This past year I was spending many evenings writing up lesson plans for old exams.  It was fun, but also a lot of work.  

I started off the year intending to include MathCounts Minis problem sets into our prep work, but it just didn't happen this year.  

Now I need to turn my attention to old AMC 10s.  Those are hard exams, especially the final fives.