Menu

ISO: Detailed book about Greek Mythology

Tracy

My dd10 has read through the Percy Jackson series a couple of times and has devoured everything I have in the house about Greek mythology, but they are all at an elementary level.  She is looking for something at a higher level, perhaps middle school level, that includes information about minor gods and goddesses.  Any recommendations?  

Has she read the books by Padriac Column,  Rosemary Sutcliffe, and the original (copyright expired) books by Helene Grueber? They are at higher elementary and middle school level.

Bulfinch's is the classic high school choice and another popular choice is Mythology by Edith Hamilton.

• Like 4

We found the combined three volumes of Bulfinch at a thrift store. You might look around for it. Amazon is also really a good one to peruse. It is a standard, so you can often find it about without having to spend a lot. It is a great one for just stand alone reference resources.

It initially required my son to slow down, put his finger on the page, and really read the text. It was good for him, though, and has since dropped most other younger stuff in favor of it just due to its coverage being a very nice balance between knock your socks off crazy dense and just scratching the surface quickly.

• Like 1