Menu

Weights for an 11 year old?

OneStepAtATime

DS wants to build up muscle strength.  He worries about his health since we have a lot of genetic health issues and he is also a bit skinny.  He also wants to build up body strength to do better in his swimming and basketball.  He wants to lift weights but he is still developing.  I don't want him to get hurt.  Any suggestions for resources?

We have the same problem.  Our solution for now was to buy several types of hand weights and balls.  When calling around to find something, a very nice personal trainer at one of the places suggested it.  We also youtubed some videos on the proper ways to use weights.  This actually became more of a family thing as now DD and I use them with him.  It is not the best solution but it works until we can find something else.

• Like 1

Check your YMCA.  We actually did a workout video called the Workout Kid that my son liked.  I also saw that there is a Beach Body Shaun T workout video kit for kids.

I'd probably get one of those weightlifting for dummies type books/DVDs.  Usually they focus on 10 or so basic exercises you can do with dumbbells.  

• Like 1

It is not easy. I found a gym that took kids as young as 8 but dang that was pricey! He is now at the community center and does weights as part of his routine. I paid a trainer to teach him how to do it safely.

I joined the community center for the classes but they fill up a week in advance. Drives me nuts. They can expand and add more but will not.

• Like 1

Weight lifting is discouraged for under age 14. It is far too easy to do damage (which is why reputable gyms tend to not allow kids to do weights). If he is very insistant, he needs to keep it really light. He won't like that. It would be easier to just tell him he has to wait until he is 14. Or, find a Crossfit place that has the kids doing strength training, but does not use weights. (Ours has the kids doing other stuff: chin ups, push-ups, jumping...)

• Like 5

My 14 year old has always been the super skinny type.  He has built up quite a bit of muscle mass in acro/tumbling and circus classes.  His abs and arms have made quite noticeable progress.  A rec gymnastics program might be something to look into?  I've also heard you don't want to start true weight lifting too young, but think about activities that use the body as it's own "weight" as resistance.   

• Like 1

Body weight exercises! Push ups, pull ups, ab work, body weight dips, burpees. All those are under rated for strength. Very effective, very inexpensive, easily accessible. I do pull ups on our swing set and dips at our picnic table or using our counter and stove. Be creative!

I agree. He is too young for weights but push up, pull ups, dips, lunges etc should be fine. Find a book on technique though.

• Like 4

More recent recommendations suggest that weight training is fine for kids that age, within reasonable limits. Can't remember where I originally heard that the standard advice (not to weight lift) was outdated, but this article quotes the 2008 AAP recommendations:

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/is-weight-training-safe-for-kids

True, the older recommendations are outdated and newer recommendations don't show as many risks. That said, I feel there are limits to weight lifting with younger kids and it needs to be monitored. Here is some info, OP, if you want to read more about it. 

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=TrainingChildren

• Like 3

Thanks so much, everyone.  We have a Wii and I have been encouraging him to do some of the strength and aerobics training on there while we work out what else he might be able to do but he sees the Wii as old lady stuff since my mom and I both use it.   :lol:

It is hard on him because his sister is a natural athlete.  She was swimming at 3.  Rode a bike with no training wheels the first time she got on.  Got on skates and was skating within minutes.  She can climb any tree.  And on and on.  She could beat all her older male cousins in swimming, running, etc.  She is really thin, too, and very feminine looking, so no one expects it of her (people stereotype her which is frustrating for her, just like her abilities are frustrating for DS).

DS just isn't like that.  He's been in her shadow forever when it comes to anything physical.  He's decided he wants to work on all his weak spots, academically and physically, instead of just working on his areas of strength. I admire his determination and his philosophy on this.

Anyway, thanks again everyone.

• Like 5

Some YMCA's offer machines that work on resistance rather than weights for kids. It accomplishes what your son is wanting to do. It usually requires taking a free class and getting a special pass. If he is deemed too young, a doctor or OT might be able to send a letter granting him an exception to use the machines. 

Chores can also be a great way to work on this stuff--shoveling snow, gardening, cleaning up brush, raking, sweeping with a broom, spreading mulch, toting laundry down the hall.

• Like 1

I would seriously discourage weight lifting training for an 11 year old. I have 3 boys and none have lifted prior to age 13. My 12 year old wants to, but he'll have to wait a year. I would recommend body weight training only. Here are some ideas:

Push-ups (the absolute perfect body weight training exercise). You can google all the different positions there are for push-ups.

Tricep Dips from a chair

Calf raises of a step

Squats (Plyo-metric and static)

You can purchase an exercise band and there are a ton of exercises that he can do with it.

I would hold off on weight training and spending a bunch of money on classes at this age.

• Like 2

There are several bodyweight-only exercise DVD programs available, and your son could build a lot of muscle, strength, flexibility, and endurance without having to go to the gym.

I wouldn't recommend weight training at his age. I don't think it is necessary. It would be better for him to get into good shape first, and add weights later on.

I was going to suggest body weight training as well. There are so many amazing things you can do with your own bodyweight, the challenges can be nearly limitless. How about parkour? That would be something an 11 year old would find interesting, something he could work on that sister hasn't already mastered- I'm sure there are lots of sites but I've visited this guys site before to check out his bodyweight videos- he can do amazing stuff and he has parkour videos as well (preview before showing him!)

http://www.alkavadlo.com/category/parkour/

The usual restriction on kids under 14 using weights (due to increased risk of injuries) might be related to their tendency to:

a) want more weight than they can do with proper form and

b) assume that they know what they are doing and can do it with little-to-no supervision.  

Both of these are avoided by using only their body weight (cheapest and easiest) or having well trained, super-vigilant supervision (more expensive and harder to find)

All of the shoulder injuries on my high school swim team came from weight lifting (at a Gold's Gym) and manifested on the first or second day of practice when the kids warmed up, did a few stroke drills and warmed down (ie. way to soon to have been caused by the swimming). None of the "year-round" swimmers had any shoulder issues. 

(Turns out that the guy at the gym claimed that the overhead pull-down used the opposing muscle group from the bench press.  It does not.)

I prefer body weight exercises to build strength, and actually split practice between dryland and swimming.

• Like 1

More recent recommendations suggest that weight training is fine for kids that age, within reasonable limits. Can't remember where I originally heard that the standard advice (not to weight lift) was outdated, but this article quotes the 2008 AAP recommendations:

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/is-weight-training-safe-for-kids

You know it is funny. I read that article and take from it that it is not a very safe activity for children/young teens. Notice the way they tend to use strength training instead of weight lifting--not the same thing. Definitely a no go on competitive weight lifting--weight lifting tends to be a danger. Always under supervision...In other words, it is too easy for it to be done wrong and inflict damage. Can it be done safely? Yes. Chances of that happening........ I know far too many "experts" who do personal training. The vast majority of them do way too much incorrectly. A child working with one of them would stand a good chance of being injured. Odd how an article that suggests it is a safe activity can be read to say the opposite.

Would it be possible to find an adult male who could be a mentor?  Ds has recently started lifting weights with my brother (who is obnoxiously into the whole weight lifting thing).  It has become such a good outlet for Ds to have positive male energy and another person who is not Dad to talk to.  It is guy time and feels very teenage. As the teenage years are coming closer and closer, the more positive male role models which I can have in Ds' life to talk to the better!