Menu

Anyone else disturbed by satanic connotations of Beast Academy?

Frechesmaedl

That's nothing.  We have a feral cat who forced herself upon us.  Her name is Sugar.  Only...she isn't so very sweet.  

Just try bringing her into the house.  Just try it.  

Catching her to get her fixed was...interesting.  Oh, she'll let you pet her...when she feels like it.  But you just never know when her evil little side is going to pop out.  

She sure does show up for food, though.  

• Like 4

When I read the original post I thought for certain it was a joke. I am not saying this to be offensive. It's just that BA seems totally innocuous to me and have a hard time understanding how little cartoon animals and math can lead to Satanism. However, I can completely understand the OP's desire not to use a curriculum that might make her uncomfortable. Maybe there is a different forum or a subforum on the WTM site that could have been a safer place to ask this question? If she is at all uncomfortable with this, she should just skip it.

Having said that....I have a six year old who has no number sense (yet) and while lurking around the (wonderful) Learning Challenges Board I saw a lot of people mentioning CLE as a great math program for kids who struggle with numbers. I popped over to their website to check out their math program, and even though it is Christian program and clearly states this in the name, I was so surprised how much God they inserted into their math curriculum. It really felt like indoctrination. I normally am good at editing programs as we go, but I had visceral reaction to what felt cult-like to me. I am bothered by what feels like blatant brainwashing. For a nanosecond I considered asking if other people felt this way and were still able to use what otherwise looks like a solid program, but then I just decided we would find another route.

I attended christian school from 5th grade until graduation. I reallyreallyreally wanted to avoid all non secular curriculum options for my daughter, as a result of my "education". It was with great reluctance that I purchased CLE, but I'm soooo glad that I did. The math hasn't been too bad, but the language arts contains quite a bit of religious content. It has made me twitchy at times, because I strongly object to any YEC taught as fact. I am definitely dropping their social studies and science, but will keep the math and LA, because my daughter loves them, they get done without complaint, she is learning tons, and she tells anyone who asks, that math is her favorite subject! If there was a math program that was similar to CLE, but secular, I would be all over it. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything, so CLE it is.

• Like 5

My other cat wants rotisserie chicken, and is willing to try to break my neck t get it.

We have to spell "chicken" in my house, rather than say it, to avoid alerting certain listeners that there is likely to be some available for immediate feline consumption.

• Like 5

When I read the original post I thought for certain it was a joke. I am not saying this to be offensive. It's just that BA seems totally innocuous to me and have a hard time understanding how little cartoon animals and math can lead to Satanism. However, I can completely understand the OP's desire not to use a curriculum that might make her uncomfortable. Maybe there is a different forum or a subforum on the WTM site that could have been a safer place to ask this question? If she is at all uncomfortable with this, she should just skip it. 

Having said that....I have a six year old who has no number sense (yet) and while lurking around the (wonderful) Learning Challenges Board I saw a lot of people mentioning CLE as a great math program for kids who struggle with numbers. I popped over to their website to check out their math program, and even though it is Christian program and clearly states this in the name, I was so surprised how much God they inserted into their math curriculum. It really felt like indoctrination. I normally am good at editing programs as we go, but I had visceral reaction to what felt cult-like to me. I am bothered by what feels like blatant brainwashing. For a nanosecond I considered asking if other people felt this way and were still able to use what otherwise looks like a solid program, but then I just decided we would find another route. 

FWIW, CLE has been such a hit here because it really has helped the kids understand and remember math concepts and computation that just wasn't happening before.  I have two atheist friends who have started using it and have found it relatively easy just to skip over the religious references.  One crosses them out and the other hasn't stated how she is handling it but they have both LOVED this math program and the way it presents the material.  I honestly wish I had had this program in school.  I think I would have gained a lot more ground in math and been a much happier student.  

That being said, it can get repetitious once a student has mastered a particular area.  We just cross out some of the review questions for those.  Easy to accelerate or slow down.  

I do wish they had a non-religious version for those that don't want it.  I think it would be fairly easy to produce a version without the religious references and I think this way of doing math could be of great benefit to many who may steer clear because of the religious references.  

• Like 5

We have to spell "chicken" in my house, rather than say it, to avoid alerting certain listeners that there is likely to be some available for immediate feline consumption.

We've had to spell carrot, chicken, and marshmallow for some time but then our dog apparently learned to spell. Now we have to invent new ways every few months because he catches on so quick, then he drives us crazy until he gets his food.

• Like 8

We've had to spell carrot, chicken, and marshmallow for some time but then our dog apparently learned to spell. Now we have to invent new ways every few months because he catches on so quick, then he drives us crazy until he gets his food.

That's pretty impressive!  Our dogs can only spell O-U-T.  LOL.  

• Like 1

Beast Academy is an absolutely brilliant mathematics program, especially for those children (and parents) that seek to find the beauty in the study of mathematics.

The program captivates receptive children by posing problems that require they *think* and sometimes even struggle (and fail), and then it walks the student through the solutions of the characters in the books (characters who also sometimes struggle themselves). Whether these comic book style characters are "ugly" or not, is—I suppose—a matter of taste. To me (and, more importantly, my child) BA presents fascinating (and deep) learning opportunities in a fashion that is very engaging.

I think they have hit it out of the park. In my estimation BA is one of the great treasures available to those involved in home education. For selfish reasons, I only wish they started publication sooner. 

Bill

• Like 28

BA is the only curriculum I have been able to entice my 9 year old to do. He really enjoys it, and while he is good at math, we have struggled to find a fit for him. We have tried Horizons, Singapore, CLE, LOF and more.

I think it definitely fills an incredibly important niche that other math curricula don't.  It isn't for everyone, for various reasons, but I think it is a wonderful resource for the kids that work well with this type of math program.  Especially at the Elementary level there just isn't anything else really like it (and I mean that in a good way).  It is a solid math program that approaches math concepts in a way that some kids thrive on.  It can open an inner math joy that can last a lifetime.

FWIW, I don't find the characters ugly at all.  They are pretty cute, honestly.  I recognize that everyone has their own taste, though.

But for anyone that finds the characters and approach offensive, well, of course, just steer clear.  I totally get how some could find this program unworkable for their family, whether because of personal belief systems or whatever.

Best wishes to all.

• Like 5

I haven't read all of the replies so someone might have already mentioned that kids involved in math competitions sometimes use the term beast as a noun or verb to mean "someone who does very well" or "to do very well." For example, if a kid aced a difficult math competition, another competitor might say, "He beasted me." I always thought that was how they came up with the name Beast Academy.

• Like 3

For anyone who is reading about the MATH, we started using Art of Problem Solving this year. My son is 17. Beast Academy was not out when he was younger. He says AoPS is the first math program that truly explains math so he understands. I wish we had tried it sooner. That's a huge statement coming from him. It'll be exciting to see how kids who actually learn that thinking at a younger age, such as through Beast Academy, will progress through their upper level maths as well. 

I am ::ahem:: much older than your son (and possibly you!) and AoPS is the first math program that actually makes sense to me, too. LOL.

• Like 2

Guys, there's no need (IMO) to keep reporting this thread. The OP raised a question about a curriculum, it has been addressed and answered. Beast Academy, like most curricula, will survive having some questions asked about it, even if those questions turn out to be peripheral to the actual content of the program.

SWB

Maybe someone should develop a helmeted emoticon that people can put in the titles.  Hey, I know this question is going to weird you out, but my helmet is on, so if you throw tomatoes, I'm ready.  Maybe we need some initials like AQTSTA (A question too stupid to ask) BINTAIA (But I need to ask it anyway) 

:001_wub:  bring on the helmeted icon! I've a couple of questions that  probably shouldn't be asked. 

First of all, just what is the "infamous story" of the the square root of 2? I haven't been able to find anything about it. Is it suppose to be the story of the follower of Pythagoras who committed suicide because the square root of 2 is irrational?

This comment probably refers to the story of Hippasus of Metapontum.

Legend has it that he was drowned at sea by followers of Pythagoras for his discovery of an irrational number (which may have been sqrt(2)).

• Like 2

Beast Academy is an absolutely brilliant mathematics program, especially for those children (and parents) that seek to find the beauty in the study of mathematics.

The program captivates receptive children by posing problems that require they *think* and sometimes even struggle (and fail), and then it walks the student through the solutions of the characters in the books (characters who also sometimes struggle themselves). Whether these comic book style characters are "ugly" or not, is—I suppose—a matter of taste. To me (and, more importantly, my child) BA presents fascinating (and deep) learning opportunities in a fashion that is very engaging.

I think they have hit it out of the park. In my estimation BA is one of the great treasures available to those involved in home education. For selfish reasons, I only wish they started publication sooner. 

Bill

I also agree with this, though it is not a "fit" for everyone.  My son was already just a bit too far along in math for it when it started coming out, but we did some for fun and it had an added benefit that he had had trouble with reading cartoons up to then, and BA is how he figured out how to read a cartoon!  Had it been done in time for him and we'd known about it it would have been our math program.

We are lucky to have so many possible options to use nowadays.

• Like 2

I also agree with this, though it is not a "fit" for everyone.  My son was already just a bit too far along in math for it when it started coming out, but we did some for fun and it had an added benefit that he had had trouble with reading cartoons up to then, and BA is how he figured out how to read a cartoon!  Had it been done in time for him and we'd known about it it would have been our math program.

We are lucky to have so many possible options to use nowadays.

I agree that BA is a (delightfully) idiosyncratic program. Like other AoPS materials, I don't believe it was written for "everyone." For parents or students who want a "just give me the facts" type program, this ain't it. We're drowning in an ocean of choices that teach math as rule, procedures, and facts to be memorized. BA is the alternative to that. Even among the "conceptual" math programs that teach for depth, BA has it's own thing.

A "fit" for everyone? Not hardly. But does it fill a niche for math adept kids who connect with the style of teaching? Oh yeah. AoPS is daring to be different. I appreciate that a great deal.

Bill

• Like 3

I agree that BA is a (delightfully) idiosyncratic program. Like other AoPS materials, I don't believe it was written for "everyone." For parents or students who want a "just give me the facts" type program, this ain't it. We're drowning in an ocean of choices that teach math as rule, procedures, and facts to be memorized. BA is the alternative to that. Even among the "conceptual" math programs that teach for depth, BA has it's own thing.

A "fit" for everyone? Not hardly. But does it fill a niche for math adept kids who connect with the style of teaching? Oh yeah. AoPS is daring to be different. I appreciate that a great deal.

Bill

I totally agree, Bill.

My biggest, deepest wish is that AoPS would develop a similar style curricula (using the Beasts and comic book format) for kids that have difficulties with math.  

For DS8, Beast Academy is fun AND challenging.  He doesn't mind the challenge so much because...it's fun!

For DD9, for whom basic math is extremely challenging...something in the vein of Beast Academy would take a bit of the sting out of the daily struggle that is math.  I see her looking at her brother's Beast books...she reads them...doesn't have a clue what any of it means...but she enjoys the comics.  

So yeah...if AoPS developed something similar for kids like my DD9, I'd be over the moon.

BTW, its nice to see your comments on this thread.  I was wondering what you thought of Beast after that thread some time back when they were first coming out.  

• Like 3

She smells it the minute it is brought in the house or I start cooking if I'm cooking from scratch and comes running to weave between my legs and flop and roll and knock things over until she gets some. I worry about heurting her since she is so tiny and thin and 16, I have tripped over her and stepped on her several times.

• Like 1

That is too funny!!!!!

FWIW, CLE has been such a hit here because it really has helped the kids understand and remember math concepts and computation that just wasn't happening before. I have two atheist friends who have started using it and have found it relatively easy just to skip over the religious references. One crosses them out and the other hasn't stated how she is handling it but they have both LOVED this math program and the way it presents the material. I honestly wish I had had this program in school. I think I would have gained a lot more ground in math and been a much happier student.

That being said, it can get repetitious once a student has mastered a particular area. We just cross out some of the review questions for those. Easy to accelerate or slow down.

I do wish they had a non-religious version for those that don't want it. I think it would be fairly easy to produce a version without the religious references and I think this way of doing math could be of great benefit to many who may steer clear because of the religious references.

I can't see that happening, as they are a Mennonite company, and are providing a service to those that want a pure Christian curriculum.

They aren't interested in marketing it to non believers. But they would be thrilled that non believers use it. They just won't compromise their beliefs to drum up more business. That's not what they are about etc....

• Like 4

I can't see that happening, as they are a Mennonite company, and are providing a service to those that want a pure Christian curriculum.

They aren't interested in marketing it to non believers. But they would be thrilled that non believers use it. They just won't compromise their beliefs to drum up more business. That's not what they are about etc....

I do understand why they wouldn't.  I honestly do.  

I just wish there were two versions from the perspective of a parent who knows what it is like to see my child struggle and to try so many things, then to finally find something that really helps them understand math and wanting to share that option with others that might truly benefit.  I'm a Christian.  The content is fine with me.  But I have many friends of many faiths and some who do not have a faith.  For those that have not found a successful option but are not comfortable with the religious references, I wish there were two versions, KWIM?  The math content is solid, with or without the religious references.  

Best wishes....

• Like 6

Yeah, I can see how that would be beneficial for them.

But like I mentioned- fat chance they ever would. As their main goal is missionary, and by doing that it wouldn't serve that purpose anymore. And then, the only thing it would produce is excellent math sudents, that remain secular. ;-)

I suppose people could always blackout things that are contrary to their own beliefs??? It's worth the extra input.

Finally, my dc have excelled in maths using CLE ! It's a godsend. :-D

• Like 1

I totally agree, Bill.

My biggest, deepest wish is that AoPS would develop a similar style curricula (using the Beasts and comic book format) for kids that have difficulties with math.

For DS8, Beast Academy is fun AND challenging. He doesn't mind the challenge so much because...it's fun!

For DD9, for whom basic math is extremely challenging...something in the vein of Beast Academy would take a bit of the sting out of the daily struggle that is math. I see her looking at her brother's Beast books...she reads them...doesn't have a clue what any of it means...but she enjoys the comics.

So yeah...if AoPS developed something similar for kids like my DD9, I'd be over the moon.

BTW, its nice to see your comments on this thread. I was wondering what you thought of Beast after that thread some time back when they were first coming out.

Boy, do I like the idea of something like BA but pitched toward kids who finding math difficult. Great idea!

Hopefully the folks at AoPS are sticking around and reading the thread.

Bill

• Like 4

A Beast Academy type program for struggling kids would be beyond awesome. 

I am sure the AOPS folks will need something to keep them occupied once BA is complete! :)

And if they are listening in, I will add my voice to those saying Thank You for putting together such an amazing math program. My ds9 is not fighting math for the first time, he is about half way through BA3 and doing well.

• Like 3

Bill

I also wish they would do a version of AoPS pre-Algebra with the Beast cartoon type approach...and more practice problems.    Though by the time they did such a thing, my son would again be well past that stage.

• Like 3

A Beast Academy type program for struggling kids would be beyond awesome. 

I am sure the AOPS folks will need something to keep them occupied once BA is complete! :)

And if they are listening in, I will add my voice to those saying Thank You for purring together such an amazing math program. My ds9 is not fighting math for the first time, he is about half way through BA3 and doing well.

I truly think such a program for struggling kids would be revolutionary.  I just wish they could do one RIGHT NOW, lol.  By the time Beast is done, my daughter will be out of elementary school. 

Oh well...for the next group of struggling math kiddos.  

• Like 1

I also wish they would do a version of AoPS pre-Algebra with the Beast cartoon type approach...and more practice problems.    Though by the time they did such a thing, my son would again be well past that stage.

I have a one month old who could benefit--surely they could complete the project by the time she is ready for prealgebra? 

I say do it!

I'll contribute by telling all my friends to buy the final product :D

• Like 2

My DD was heard to moan, more than once "Some of us WANT our algebra with little monsters!!" when she started AOPS PA.  I'd just settle for a set of BA character stickers. And maybe a stuffed Lizzie (she's my DD's favorite).

Luckily, a friend sent her the BA books when her DS was done with them, so for awhile, she was doing BA 3C/D-and AOPS Introduction to Algebra this year :).

• Like 8

Personally as a Christian, I don't feel much conviction about Harry Potter, nor other fantasy, nor beast academy (which we don't use but I've looked at it).

That said, I would not ever press my feelings onto a family who felt convicted of wrongness with any particular curriculum. I think bickering and snark between Christians about debatable issues is very wrong; the Bible is tough to interpret, growing in faith is complex, people may need different convictions in their walk. It's sort of the same way I view YE vs. OE vs. theistic evolution. It REALLY drives me nuts when one group who believes one way derides another or mocks their beliefs, or tries to say 'if you teach x, you must be ___(not a true believing Christian, an unscientific ignorant moron, etc)'.

We are all different and doing what we can to understand/teach/grow spiritually. I teach theistic evolution, but would never mock or deride other views to my kids - they will be introduced to all the theories! I plan to read Harry Potter, but plan to let them know these books may offend some of their peers in homeschool group and expect my kids to show sensitivity there (ie don't loan The Order of the Phoenix to your buddy without the parents' permission etc). Something I do that others may find extreme or weird? I don't let my kids watch Sesame Street, because when I bought the DVD collection of old episodes, they started it with episode 666, which, personally, creeped me out and made me feel weird endorsing it. Even my stoic scientist husband found it odd that particular numbered episode of the hundreds available would be listed with its number, front and center, to start the series. It may be ridiculous, but it bothered me, and that was enough.

Off my soapbox ... sorry :). All this to say, I think if you feel Beast academy may be rooted in a wrong view, and have prayed about that... then imho you should not use it. And feel no guilt nor concern over your choice.

• Like 3

My DD was heard to moan, more than once "Some of us WANT our algebra with little monsters!!" when she started AOPS PA. I'd just settle for a set of BA character stickers. And maybe a stuffed Lizzie (she's my DD's favorite).

Luckily, a friend sent her the BA books when her DS was done with them, so for awhile, she was doing BA 3C/D-and AOPS Introduction to Algebra this year :).

This had been particularly hard for my twins this year- if my son hits a hard patch in Pre-A he will be sitting, staring over at his sister's book and bemoaning the lack of monsters in his book. Her getting to do Beast Academy is much harder for him than her worrying about him being so much farther ahead! She couldn't care less- she gets monsters, he gets a big fat math book. 😋

If anybody from aops is still reading, please, please consider dmmetler's idea about selling stickers and such with little beasts. A shirt with Grog (or a mug, or a pencil..... ) would override all presents to date for my boys. I hope it commercially makes sense. My eight year old wishes he bad Beast Alcumus. :) I have a long wish list as you see. :)

• Like 10

On a related but different subject -- I was concerned that one theologian attacked Sonlight as not Christian enough and then blocked Sonlight's participation at a homeschool conference. I thought it was outrageous when I read about it, but my concern was doubled when I noted that the person doing the attacking sold their own homeschool curriculum.

I am also concerned about something I read saying that Saxon math was not Christian enough.  I wonder if there is some sort of astroturfing going on? To me, this is divisive and harmful to the Christian homeschool community specifically and to all homeschoolers in general.  

I think that there may be ulterior motives or people have too much time on their hands. It feels like a witch hunt to me.

• Like 2

Hi everybody, its me, the OP. back again,

I just wanted to thank everyone who weighed in and expressed their opinion, but particularly those who offered sisterly, constructive advice. :grouphug: .

It could be that God does not want this particular curriculum for my child and he is giving me this visceral feeling in order to deter me (not others, but me). For others out there, the materials may be completely neutral and that is great.

Several of my daughter's beloved teenage and young adult German cousins, and quite a few people in the part of Germany where we live, are pretty deep into the hard rock scene (with associated dragon, demon, skull, Baphomet, etc. imagery). They go to Wacken every year http://www.wacken.com/en/, a heavy metal open air concert that bills itself as "Louder Than Hell". Perhaps for my daughter, this relatively innocent imagery in BA would be a gateway to that dark scene and that is why the Lord wants us to avoid using it.

I'm going with the Lord's guidance for me on this one. I am happy that the overwhelming majority of you do not have a conflict with the materials. I wish I could use them with a clear conscience, because the teaching looks great. I will be going back to Singapore Math  and check out CLE and math apps (I just received an Ipad for the first time today :laugh: !)

Best regards,

Frechesmaedl

• Like 15

Hi everybody, its me, the OP. back again,

I just wanted to thank everyone who weighed in and expressed their opinion, but particularly those who offered sisterly, constructive advice. :grouphug: .

It could be that God does not want this particular curriculum for my child and he is giving me this visceral feeling in order to deter me (not others, but me). For others out there, the materials may be completely neutral and that is great.

Several of my daughter's beloved teenage and young adult German cousins, and quite a few people in the part of Germany where we live, are pretty deep into the hard rock scene (with associated dragon, demon, skull, Baphomet, etc. imagery). They go to Wacken every year http://www.wacken.com/en/, a heavy metal open air concert that bills itself as "Louder Than Hell". Perhaps for my daughter, this relatively innocent imagery in BA would be a gateway to that dark scene and that is why the Lord wants us to avoid using it.

I'm going with the Lord's guidance for me on this one. I am happy that the overwhelming majority of you do not have a conflict with the materials. I wish I could use them with a clear conscience, because the teaching looks great. I will be going back to Singapore Math  and check out CLE and math apps (I just received an Ipad for the first time today :laugh: !)

Best regards,

Frechesmaedl

I'm glad you have found what seems like it will be a good fit for math for your family! So far as I know, both Singapore and CLE are considered to be excellent--each in its own way.   If Singapore math is working for your family--or has done so in past, is there really a reason for any change? My impression is that it is excellent and has enough components and add ons (IP, EP, CWP) to be very full in an of itself.

• Like 1

I'm a pastor's wife and don't see these beasts as Satanic. I think the dragon is cute! Rainbow Resource is pretty careful about what they offer, yet they sell BA. However, if the OP is uncomfortable with the books, she needs to use something else because "whatever is not of faith is sin."

• Like 1