Menu

Anyone else disturbed by satanic connotations of Beast Academy?

Frechesmaedl

Is there anyone else who is disturbed by Beast Academy and its satanic connotations?  I remember when it came out and how much praise it received. The name was a bit perturbing - Beast Academy - hmmm, sounds familiar...mark of the beast in Revelation? Then, I viewed the materials: demon-like, dragon, monster creatures, but made to look "cute".

I tried to shrug it off. After all, the materials looked as if they would really boost my child's interest in math and she loved Life of Fred, so maybe this would be the ticket. However, I have hesitated to buy them. I have searched far and wide on the WWW to find someone else who had the same concerns that I I do - that BA is making the satanic seem palatable to young children (like Harry Potter did with witchcraft). But my search yielded more mothers, and Christian mothers, who actually pooh-poohed or ignored these concerns and actively embraced the curriculum for their children. 

So right when my resolve not to buy it was being worn down, by my child's (hopefully temporary) hate relationship with math, I decided to pray about Beast Academy. I subsequently did an internet search and the Lord led me to a Wiki run by the publishers of Beast Academy (Art of Problem Solving) and to this passage explaining about the Golden Ratio and the Pentagram (scroll to the bottom or the page to see it):

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Pentagon&oldid=60815

The pentagram has many usages in the occult and in religion. For example, Satanists use an upside-down pentagram, inscribed within two circles, to symbolize the horns of a goat. The pentagram focuses and concentrates magical energy for many rituals, helping it to bind to the recipient. (Emphasis mine). In one such context, the pentagram is called the Sigil of Baphomet, and it has changed little since Pythagoras used it. Some claim that the infamous story of bfe16f27ebc966df6f10ba356a1547b6e7242dd7 did not in fact refer to bfe16f27ebc966df6f10ba356a1547b6e7242dd7, but to the golden ratio that the sides of Pythagoras' pentagram formed as he paid his homage to Satan. Because he was such a promethean and liberating figure, Pythagoras drew inspiration from him to continue his mathematical research.

Am I reading more into this than is there or does it seem that the author assumes matter-of-factly that the pentagram really does do as he/she describes.

I guess that I have made my decision to not purchase Beast Academy.

I now open up the floor for discussion. Please keep it friendly :laugh:. What do you all think about Beast Academy?

• Like 2

Well.... I would read it as '(It has traditionally been believed that) the pentagram focuses and concentrates....'  But I don't believe in supernatural powers, so it wouldn't worry me one way or the other.  If such powers don't exist, it doesn't matter how many pentagrams people draw.

• Like 19

We love it. We identify as Christians. We also love Harry Potter, Narnia, and Greek Mythology. I see nothing but wonderful *math* instruction from BA. I do not need math to teach my kids religious beliefs. I don't believe that by reading HP we invite witchcraft. I don't believe that studying the Greek Gods diminishes the Christian one. I think, and oftentimes I see, that a person can find evil is almost anything. You don't have to though...just see it for what it is-a wonderful story about fighting evil and friendship, historical understanding of different cultures, and really amazing math instruction.

• Like 36

Well.... I would read it as '(It has traditionally been believed that) the pentagram focuses and concentrates....' But I don't believe in supernatural powers, so it wouldn't worry me one way or the other. If such powers don't exist, it doesn't matter how many pentagrams people draw.

This.

I do not feel the need to go looking for evil in everything either. It is math. That people believed that is true.

• Like 17

You're reading into it.

What you linked is a wiki article, anyone could have contributed it (I doubt the authors of the books wrote it) but in any case it is merely interesting to some information about the pentagram.

Beast Academy? The word beast means animal, it is used frequently in the Bible; "beasts of the field and fowls of the air..." etc. The beast/mark of the beast from Revelations doesn't have some kind of trademark on the term.

Maybe you could borrow Beast Academy from someone to read through yourself and see if you are comfortable with what is actually presented in the books (math!); this would probably be a more accurate way to assess the appropriateness of the program for your family than obsessing over the use of a common word or searching through barely tangentially related wiki articles.

• Like 25

Um, it appears that that entry was contributed by someone called "Greenpepper9999", not written by the author of AOPS. Isn't the nature of a wiki that anyone from anywhere can post whatever, and until someone else notices and takes the time to correct it, it will stand?

To me, any use of the term "beast" does not on it's own connote the mark of the beast in Revelation. They're cute/funny/silly creatures, just like the monsters from Monsters Inc.--the use of the word beast does not make them demonic on its own.

• Like 10

I agree that your looking for something that was not intended to be there.  This is not by any means a Christian company, but I don't believe they set out to be Satanic.

If you find monsters and/or magic doesn't agree with your families belief system then Beast Academy is not for you.  If you like cute monsters that teach in a way that appeals to kids - give it a try :-)

• Like 1

Disclaimer: I am an secular atheist that doesn't believe in supernatural powers, good or evil.  And I DO love HP!

Frechesmaedl: If this is so worrysome to you, then this math curriculum may not be for you.  I encourage you to borrow a copy, if possible, before making a final judgment, but you I wonder if there would still be nagging worry in the back of your mind if you spend money Beast Academy.

There are plenty of other Math Curriculum out there.  I am confident that you will be able to find something that is a good fit for you and your world view.

• Like 5

I can't be disturbed by non-existent connotations.

We have every one of their books in the house. If it makes you feel any better, my sons are definitely not satan worshippers. So if that is the objective, BA has totally and utterly failed.

The word is meant to denote not only the little fuzzy cartoon characters but also the idea that children can become "math beasts". Beast is admiring slang for being extremely strong and competent in a particular thing or subject. The analogy being that the talent is so well cultivated and exercised, that the person seems to have an extraordinary, all but superhuman strength in it. I.e. He's a beast on the football field, she's a beast on the flat (roller derby) track.

• Like 31

I agree with the pp who said this curriculum might not be for you.

You should also probably avoid The Number Devil by Hans Enzensberger.

Definitely. The title alone.

But what about math with patterns? Wait...

Maybe omit 6's and 9's and make up a whole non-satanic curriculum on a base 8 system?!

No seriously, OP, I am assuming that you truly meant this seriously...all levity aside, if you are seeing those connections I doubt you will enjoy Beast Academy. There are so many different curricula that I am certain you can find something that will do the trick. Maybe some of the Ed Zaccaro books would provide the stretch/challenge you are seeking without the added stress?

• Like 3

No--no satanic connections in Beast Academy.

If you are a Christian who is concerned about these sorts of things (Harry Potter=witchcraft, etc), and there are a good number who do, then I think you would be very happy with a math curriculum from a Christian provider that has good supportive references to Christianity in their books, yet are still a rock solid curriculum, like CLE math or some other such math program.

• Like 1

I consider myself a VERY conservative Christian and this thought never crossed my mind. We own some of these for a supplement, and they're very fun and innocent, IMO. For an idea of what my standards are book-wise, my kids haven't been allowed to read Harry Potter, but we're diehard Lord of the Rings fans.

• Like 1

What I've noticed is they tend to use words and stories probably to help people remember the information.  For example, calling an obtuse triangle an obese triangle.  Do I think they are now making fun of fat people?  No..but I will say I will now never forget what an obtuse triangle is.  I don't think there is anything more to it than an attempt to entertain and help people remember the information.

• Like 10

I grew up in a family that was always paranoid that evil " was around the corner in everything and ready to get us" which is kinda overboard to me. We were forbidden to play with dragons , read and watch about good/evil...you get the point. Anyways, my daughter loves books about dragons, good and evil, etc.. and she loves the Lord.

I do believe there is evil, but I also believe greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world.

I do understand your concern, and don't go against your conscience in getting them, if you feel they are bad. I personally feel that we all have a free will to be led  to give our kids the best education we can using what we feel is best.

I personally think you are reading into things a bit too much. :) I have no problem with beast academy and their cute little "beasts" 

• Like 11

I'm a very conservative Christian, and I don't let my kids read Harry Potter, but they have seen the movies due to being at other people's houses when they were on. Anyway, we love Beast Academy here. There is nothing about Satan in the books. We have all the books through 4B in our house, and will be purchasing all of them eventually. I have read through each and every one with my DS, who uses BA, and I have never seen anything satanic or evil in it.

As someone else mentioned, it's just like Monsters, Inc. They're cute, characters. They each have their own personality, and they're funny. They aren't representative of evil beasts from folklore, or anything of the such. Nothing I have seen ever raised a red flag, and I'm usually one who sees red flags in so many things out there.

Just my 2 cents.

Angie

• Like 2

I am a Christian and I have no problem with beast academy.  PERSONALLY, when I hear the word "beast", I do not automatically think of Satan.   I typically think of some type of animal or creature.  Nothing evil. 

---------------

I just looked the word "beast" up in the dictionary.   In the English language, the word beast does not typically refer to anything evil.  It is most commonly used to refer to any creature---- typically mammal, typically furry, and often four-legged.  However, it is also often used to distinguish animal from plant.   Example:  "What manner of beast is this?"

I also just did a search for the word "beast" in my bible.   The word beast appears many, many, many times in the bible.  (Depending on what translation you search, it appears about 296 times.)   And in the vast, vast, vast majority of the cases, the word 'beast' is used to refer to normal animals and creatures living on earth.   (Just like the dictionary defines it above.)  In only more obscure cases does it refer to anything satanic or demonic.   SO---I do not personally believe that God wants us to live in fear of anything and everything with the word 'beast' in it....and especially as it is used in the context of 'beast academy'.  

• Like 5

We are Christians.  I call my dog "beast" because he weighs 110 lbs and knocks things over constantly.  I never thought of that as satanic and we've had him since shortly after my DD turned 2.  My kids do not consider worshiping evil because of it.

All I can say is we love Beast and I have no fears of the books making satanism more palatable. Religion is not discussed in the books, just math.  The characters in the book are not evil and I love the way the they talk back and forth to discuss ideas. I think it's unique and has helped deepen my son's love for math. 

I think you are reading too much into it. If it makes you uncomfortable though, then it matters. I don't think the article matters that much since you went searching for something to back up your feeling. There is stuff on the internet to back any idea up. I know someone jokingly said to ask Beast Academy-but if you are interested, sending them an email may not be a bad idea. You may get a better idea of what the authors intent is and you might look at Beast Academy differently.

• Like 4

I think many Christians are too afraid of evil - we should hate it and fear God, but we should not fear evil. And the reason for that is that "The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you." Satan will be banished to hell - he is not going to be the boss there - it is eternal damnation for him.

So while we should not encourage evil and we should hate it, we can evaluate things and see if they of themselves are evil or attracting people to evil and then despise them. I have not seen Beast Academy however, but from everything I have seen and heard up til now I would be ok with having it in my house. We do read Harry Potter and I have also read a book called Finding God in Harry Potter which discusses the fight of good over evil and how evil loses (even in the wizarding world). It was written before the 7th book was released and I am not sure his predictions of how the story would end were totally accurate, but it was another way to view a topic that had come up so many times.

• Like 3

You've already gotten good answers, which I in general, a very conservative Christian, repeat. I took "beast" here to mean "creature," not anything related to end-times antagonists. Remember the Biblical principle not to answer a matter before you've heard it: write BA and ask them what their position is, why they chose the term "beast," if they are promoting satanism in the Wiki article or their curriculum, etc. I think you're really seeing things where they aren't, especially since they didn't put that specific post on Wiki, and it's not even clear whether it's giving support for that view or just stating factual-ish info. I can't help but think that BA would be crazy to teach anything touching on satanism in their math curriculum, especially since so many of their homeschooling market are Christian.

I would be more concerned if they included anything like that in their actual curriculum. I think we would have heard about it by now if they did. Their samples were very alluring to me, and I have almost clicked purchase several times, if it weren't for the beastly prices... :)

In summary, be careful not to censor something as wrong before you've carefully researched for yourself. If you do the research and still feel uncomfortable, then obey your conscience.

(I decided to read Harry Potter over Christmas myself so I'd know what it was about and  be able to make an informed decision. I liked them, but also have enough concerns that I think I will not have my children read them. And we do read Narnia and other such-like fantasy, so I'm not against all fantasy.)

• Like 3

Hello Everybody,

Thank you very much for your very thoughtful and insightful answers! I really appreciate it! :thumbup:  I am glad that you all chose to discuss this with me in a serious manner and given me a great deal of useful food for thought.

I have had a hard week, without much sleep due to an ill child. So maybe I need to have a rethink and perhaps order one of the books so that I can have a better look at the curriculum. I spoke to a Christian friend of mine and she said that the actions and intents of the BA characters should carry more weight than their appearance and their name. This is pretty much what most of you have said as well. I also take the point that one can find anything on the internet if they look hard enough and perhaps that is just what I have done. I will update this thread when I have more data!

Thanks again!!!

• Like 8

Is there anyone else who is disturbed by Beast Academy and its satanic connotations?  I remember when it came out and how much praise it received. The name was a bit perturbing - Beast Academy - hmmm, sounds familiar...mark of the beast in Revelation? Then, I viewed the materials: demon-like, dragon, monster creatures, but made to look "cute".

I tried to shrug it off. After all, the materials looked as if they would really boost my child's interest in math and she loved Life of Fred, so maybe this would be the ticket. However, I have hesitated to buy them. I have searched far and wide on the WWW to find someone else who had the same concerns that I I do - that BA is making the satanic seem palatable to young children (like Harry Potter did with witchcraft). But my search yielded more mothers, and Christian mothers, who actually pooh-poohed or ignored these concerns and actively embraced the curriculum for their children. 

So right when my resolve not to buy it was being worn down, by my child's (hopefully temporary) hate relationship with math, I decided to pray about Beast Academy. I subsequently did an internet search and the Lord led me to a Wiki run by the publishers of Beast Academy (Art of Problem Solving) and to this passage explaining about the Golden Ratio and the Pentagram (scroll to the bottom or the page to see it):

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Pentagon&oldid=60815

Am I reading more into this than is there or does it seem that the author assumes matter-of-factly that the pentagram really does do as he/she describes.

I guess that I have made my decision to not purchase Beast Academy.

I now open up the floor for discussion. Please keep it friendly :laugh:. What do you all think about Beast Academy?

I never used it and know nothing about it, but not a fan of satanic imagery. 

It never crossed my mind but now that I'm thinking about it....

I think it's a play on words. When someone is really good at something, people sometimes call them a "_____ beast" where the blank can be math, swimming, etc. I'll be they were thinking of a comic style and thought of "math beast" and that gave them an idea for the characters.

I think you're reading too much into it and I hope you won't decide not to use this fantastic program for that particular reason,  if it otherwise fits your needs.

ETA: Read the entire thread, others said it better.

• Like 1

I think the fact that you searched and searched and searched the web and came up with only one reference that is dubious at the very best should answer you question. Beast Academy is math. That's all it is. I think it would be best if you made your own educated assessment of the curriculum rather than looking for people to confirm your bias and make the decision for you.

• Like 9

From my point of view as a Christian, I think that I could use the curriculum with a clear conscience. However, I have to say that when I first heard about the program and went to its site my radar went up. I closed the page and never felt inclined to seek it out as a math program for us to use.

My opinion is that it does include subtle indoctrination by using the cute beasts. And many programs do this, such as Reading Eggs (which my children use.) Keep in mind that evolutionist's believe that a human being is no different to an animal, and that we are the same as animals (ie we are nothing more than just 'beasts', literally.)

So my concern would not be with the 'mark of the beast' so much, but my concern would be having my children's eyes opened to the indoctrination. For older children I would also educate them about the mixing of human and animal DNA. These cute beasts, whether in this program, or in any other show or story represent animals as humans. Animals that can walk and talk, again equating an animal with a human status. As Christians we love animals, but we do not believe that they have a soul, and we don't believe that they need salvation.

Hope that helps in some way, just offering a different opinion to the ones above.

• Like 1

From my point of view as a Christian, I think that I could use the curriculum with a clear conscience. However, I have to say that when I first heard about the program and went to its site my radar went up. I closed the page and never felt inclined to seek it out as a math program for us to use.

My opinion is that it does include subtle indoctrination by using the cute beasts. And many programs do this, such as Reading Eggs (which my children use.) Keep in mind that evolutionist's believe that a human being is no different to an animal, and that we are the same as animals (ie we are nothing more than just 'beasts', literally.)

So my concern would not be with the 'mark of the beast' so much, but my concern would be having my children's eyes opened to the indoctrination. For older children I would also educate them about the mixing of human and animal DNA. These cute beasts, whether in this program, or in any other show or story represent animals as humans. Animals that can walk and talk, again equating an animal with a human status. As Christians we love animals, but we do not believe that they have a soul, and we don't believe that they need salvation.

Hope that helps in some way, just offering a different opinion to the ones above.

I'm guessing you disapprove of C. S. Lewis's Narnia books then?

• Like 3

As Christians we love animals, but we do not believe that they have a soul, and we don't believe that they need salvation.

I disagree. Animals do need salvation. From humans of course.

On a serious note, there is everything for every kind. For some BA, for other Abeka.

• Like 2

These cute beasts, whether in this program, or in any other show or story represent animals as humans. Animals that can walk and talk, again equating an animal with a human status. As Christians we love animals, but we do not believe that they have a soul, and we don't believe that they need salvation.

Not trying to be snarky; I'm honestly curious. Do you forbid your kids from having stuffed animals in case they anthropomorphize them? Do you avoid reading Frog and Toad or Dr. Seuss? Are your kids not allowed to watch Fetch or Martha Speaks?

• Like 6

Indoctrination into what, exactly?

• Like 8

:iagree:  Same story here.  I knew from first impressions that BA was not our cup of tea, and further probing only confirmed my doubts, so you are not alone in being a dissenter. 

TO THE OP:  As an educator, the use of secular resources is inevitable. As a Christian, some of those are better left alone. There are plenty of other options for math that will not cause spiritual unrest or concern. I pray that you will continue to fervently seek the Lord's will in this matter and that He will reveal whether or not it would be wise for your little ones to use this curriculum.  

• Like 2

:iagree:  Same story here.  I knew from first impressions that BA was not our cup of tea, and further probing only confirmed my doubts, so you are not alone in being a dissenter. 

TO THE OP:  As an educator, the use of secular resources is inevitable. As a Christian, some of those are better left alone. There are plenty of other options for math that will not cause spiritual unrest or concern. I pray that you will continue to fervently seek the Lord's will in this matter and that He will reveal whether or not it would be wise for your little ones to use this curriculum.  

This one baffles me. It's math, with cartoon characters.

• Like 18

I was told term "beast academy' comes from AoPS slang.  I was told that on the AoPS board and among the AoPS students, a person who is really, really good at math is called a "Beast"  or a 'Math Beast".  it is an affectionate term of respect for someone with unstoppable math skills. 

So...Beast Academy is where you go to learn to be a Math Beast.

As for the other stuff..I am not going to touch that. I don't even know where to begin.

• Like 12

Isn't the personification of animals a reoccurring theme in much of children's literature?

Do you worry, for instance about:

Charlotte's Web

The Rats of Nimh

Wind in the Willows

Winnie the Pooh

Black Beauty

Alice in Wonderland

Curious George

Babar

The Black Stallion

Stuart Little

Peter Rabbit

Frog and Toad

I can keep going. For a long time.

I mean, really?

Both my sons have written their own fiction featuring animal characters. Should I be worried?

• Like 17

I was told term "beast academy' comes from AoPS slang.  I was told that on the AoPS board and among the AoPS students, a person who is really, really good at math is called a "Beast"  or a 'Math Beast".  it is an affectionate term of respect for someone with unstoppable math skills. 

So...Beast Academy is where you go to learn to be a Math Beast.

As for the other stuff..I am not going to touch that. I don't even know where to begin.

I have an AoPS kid, he was past the elementary level books before the came out. But yes, he used the term math beast as well. No conspiracies here.

• Like 5

I don't think there is anything satanic in it, no. I agree that beast probably came from the idea of slang for someone really good at math + cute animal cartoon characters.

But I agree that with your concerns it would probably be best to stick with more overtly Christian materials.

Life of Fred is pretty strongly Christian seeming to me, but it may also have things that would be a problem for you such as a doll that does art (and gets paid for the art and  somehow manages the money). Presumably only real live human beings can do art. Well, actually some animals do seem to do art if given paints and paper or other suitable materials. But so far as I know, not dolls left alone in a math office, so far not a one in real life has managed to turn out art works prized by art collectors.  I do not know if you have gotten to that part yet, but thought I should give you a heads up. 

You may need to have your child do a very traditional program with no fantasy aspects so as not to cause any issues with your beliefs.  Many children for many generations were educated just fine with such programs.

• Like 1

Frechmaedl,

I had a "friend" who didn't allow her kids to read Harry Potter.  She was shocked that I love the series.  That unfortunately, now that I'm thinking about it, (thanks to this thread) might have been the reason why she distance herself from me.  Of course, I was also shocked to learn that she hadn't read it and still made that assumption. 

I think I understand now where she and you may be coming from, but to get back on topic.......

Kudos to you for trying to find the right curriculum for your child(ren).  Unfortunately, you'll make a better decision if you borrow or buy a book and see for yourself. 

I am a Christian.  I also believe that the word beast is not meant to have any satanic connotations either. 

We are only on 3A, but so far nothing evil here.  :)

Good luck. 

Isn't the personification of animals a reoccurring theme in much of children's literature?

Do you worry, for instance about:

Charlotte's Web

The Rats of Nimh

Wind in the Willows

Winnie the Pooh

Black Beauty

Alice in Wonderland

Curious George

Babar

The Black Stallion

Stuart Little

Peter Rabbit

I can keep going. For a long time.

I mean, really?

My two year old does a perfect imitation of the PBS Curious George.  It can be a real problem sometimes.  If only we had stuck to the book versions.  :(