Menu

Recommendations for 3rd and 5th grade grammar?

We're using CLE Language Arts this year, but I'm wanting to separate out the language arts since we do our own handwriting already. I'd also like to use different levels for spelling and an entirely different curriculum for writing. What options are there for a grammar program that is thorough and fairly independent like CLE?

Thank you!

If you want *only grammar,* then I'd recommend Easy Grammar. It is fairly independent, as there are instructions on each page, but it will be best if you do the corrections, preferably after each worksheet (you don't want your dc to continue to make mistakes for multiple pages before you see them, KWIM?).

Rod and Staff's English series is excellent, and it was intentionally written to be done independently, but it is a more comprehensive English than just grammar.

Saxon Grammar and Writing (formerly called Hake Grammar and Writing) is fabulous.  Easy to use and very thorough.  You could start it in Grade 4 or 5.   Check out the great reviews by users.   You won't regret it!   

NOTE:   A courteous word for the non-tech saavy folks like myself given in an effort to save you from having to type out the links below that aren't underlined.

Some of these links below wouldn't underline thus you can't simply click on them to be taken to those reviews.    For the ones that aren't underlined, here's how you paste the link into the browser box:  

1.  Simply take your cursor and highlight the entire link

2.  While it's highlighted push Ctrl button AND the letter C at the same time; this COPIES it.  

3.  Next, take your cursor and click in the address box and paste it in.   How do you paste?   Once in the browser box, hold down the Ctrl button and the letter P at the

same time.   This pastes it.

4.  Once you see the link in the box, press enter and it'll take you there. :-)  

LINKS TO THE REVIEWS ABOUT SAXON GRAMMAR AND WRITING:

www.cathyduffyreviews.com/grammar-composition/saxon-grammar-writing.htm

www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/021990

www.amazon.com/Saxon-Grammar-Writing-Complete-Homeschool/dp/1419098365/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425177777&sr=8-1&keywords=saxon+grammar

http://www.theoldschoolhouse.com/Homeschool_Reviews/3685.php

www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=534

http://www.christianbook.com/hakes-grammar-writing-grade-5-kit/stephen-hake/9781419098369/pd/998369

http://vahomeschoolers.org/2010/07/saxon-grammar/

There are two editions of Saxon Grammar and Writing.

In the 1st editions, there is no course for Grade 4 thus they offer the course for Grades 5 to 8.    

In the 2nd edition, they add the course for Grade 4 and thus offer Grades 4-8.  

The 2nd edition of the program has been revised and updated to meet Common Core Standards for Language and Writing which, according to the publisher, means they added additional writing assignments.

I suggest using all three books but here are the prices from www.rainbowresource.com (as of Spring 2015) of the kit and the individual components making up the kit:

Each Homeschool Kit (which includes the textbook, workbook and teacher packet):  $57.95 

Each Textbook   $30.95

Each Workbook  $11.25

Each Teacher Packet   $20.95

Rainbow Resource (www.rainbowresource.com) offers both editions of each level (but only offers the 2nd edition of Grade 4 as there isn't a 1st edition of Grade 4).

• Like 1

Saxon Grammar (formerly Hake Grammar) is fabulous. Easy to use and very thorough. You could start it in Grade 4 or 5. Check out the great reviews by users. You won't regret it!

www.cathyduffyreviews.com/grammar-composition/saxon-grammar-writing.htm

www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/021990

www.amazon.com/Saxon-Grammar-Writing-Complete-Homeschool/dp/1419098365/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425177777&sr=8-1&keywords=saxon+grammar

www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=534

Just out of curiousity do you really need all three books?

Just out of curiousity do you really need all three books?

Yes, I think so.   When sold as a bundle, it's fairly reasonable.  The workbook is consumable and it costs $11.00ish (from rainbowresource.com) for replacement.  I edited my post above about all of this and included pricing info for the various kit/individual books within the kit should you wish to not use all three.