Menu

Has anyone here used The Writing Course?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the extra links, Maela. It actually looks interesting to me, since I am not a fan of formula-based writing curricula. However, I prefer to avoid screen-based learning until Jr. High, so it might not be the best fit for our family. I would still be interested in what Hunter has to say about it.

• Like 1

I wish I could remember more specifics. I forgot to come back and respond when I had more of a brain. I'm totally nodding off again now. I tried doing a search for old threads, but I'm not getting hits.

There just isn't much there. The program focuses more on what you don't need to do, than what you do need to do. It's more of an infomercial but there really isn't a product there after the infomercial ends.

If you need a program to convince you that you don't need to stress over all the stuff that is the core of so many expensive and time consuming writing curricula, try reading, "Write Like Hemingway" instead. Hemingway won a prize for NOT writing like the "masters".

http://www.amazon.com/Write-Like-Hemingway-Writing-Lessons/dp/1598698966/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1426380368&sr=8-1

When I bought the program years ago, there was the start of a thriving forum, but then the author kept changing rules and what was included in what we had bought. Then he told us that he didn't want us discussing the program, and to direct anyone with questions directly to him. :confused: Then he said he never said that. :confused: :confused: 

I think I stopped using the product more because of what was going on with the author at the time than any disappointment with the product itself. With my trauma stuff, boundary pushing males are triggering to me, and I was feeling very very triggered at the time. I kept getting e-mails with demands and requests and changes, and it was unsettling to me. I had bought a curriculum not joined a cult or entered another unhealthy relationship.

I think this might be my greatest homeschool purchase regret.

• Like 2

I wish I could wake up smarter!

If you went to bed as dumb as I sometimes go to bed, I promise you that you too would wake up smarter. I didn't wake up smart, just smartER, and that's not saying much considering the level I was functioning at when I collapsed.

• Like 1