Menu

Saxon Algebra - calculator?

I do, for the simple mathematic functions, like long division, multiplying decimals, adding large numbers, etc. For example, each set tends to have area and/or volume problems. She sets up the problems on the page, but then carries out the multiplication/division on the calculator for a final numerical answer that I can check quickly. My student is already well-versed in handling those types of calculations, and I'd rather opt her out of the tedium of working those parts of the problems so she has more time to focus on the algebraic concepts.

Erica in OR

ETA: I also encourage her to look at answers and determine if they are reasonable—whether she used the calculator or not.

• Like 1

It was never necessary for Algebra 1 (that I can recall...either way we did not use a calculator in A1). 

Just for anyone who might be wondering, towards the back of the Saxon Algebra 1 book, there were a few lessons that required the calculator -- some scientific type things, and I think maybe some compound interest problems, too.  I've loaned my book to somebody so I don't know which lessons exactly, but I believe I heard somewhere (maybe Art Reed?) that John Saxon only put those problems in because it was required to get a textbook contract.  This is when we bought my son a calculator, because otherwise he would have had to skip these problems.  Sigh.  Now we've got to buy another one because his calculator won't stay in scientific mode for the problems that were introduced around  Lesson 68 of Algebra 2.  FWIW, the book gives very detailed instructions on how to use the calculator for these problems.  

• Like 1