Menu

Antwerp, Belgium July 2015

I saw your other post about Craft supplies after your move you might want take look at this shop:

http://www.debanier.be/ustorelocator/location/map/

'chiro' is a kind of catholic youth movement in Belgium and their shops are called 'De Banier'.

These have a lot of Craftsupplies.

The 'better' stuff.

Cheap paper, crayons etc. Can be found at 'Zeeman' or 'Wibra' or 'Hema'.

'Common houshold items' mentioned in our American textbooks are usually found in 'Colruyt' ( a kind of hypermarket) or 'Aveve' ( a store for baking, pets and gardenstuff, they sell food coloring in small amounts )

Otherwise amazon.de is a good friend :)

• Like 1

If you are curious what Flanders look like, or if you have some questions about odd habits here, please watch:

http://www.canvas.be/programmas/fans-flanders/b5ed5ad2-d0f6-48aa-b0d6-2001fb406f7b

It is bilangual dutch-english and it explains so much more then the seven o clock news items, and it is just fun:

Fan of Flanders makes me smile :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the link! I can't wait to read through it!

We will have 4 days in Ghent and Brugge, but have enough places on our to-see list for at least 2 weeks. We're hoping for decent weather so we can bike a lot and of course go to Oostende. DS had been planning to run a 10k in Oudenaarde but it's recently been cancelled. We'll walk or run (gasp!) up the Koppenberg anyway! :)

• Like 1

I am no expat, so I am not aware of expat activities.

In Belgium Pre-K starts at 2,5 yo.

Both parents are working fulltime, normally.

So the amount of playgroups is small, very small...

During schoolhours you will see no children at street or shops, unless in schoolgroups...

(Row in row)

Www.huisonderwijsplatform.freebb.com is a (dutch) speaking forum for Flemish homeschoolers, there are many young families on that forum, also in the area around Antwerp.

Homeschooling is a rarity here though still growing.

We homeschool under the Flemish Law and receive each year a confirmation of being homeschoolers. That confirmation gives us some acces to schoolopportunities. Filing under the Flemish law is required from age 6.

I have no knowledge about homeschooling as expat.

• Like 1