Menu

Expat starting homeschool

Hi everyone.

We are an expat family from the states, and currently living in Italy (will soon move elsewhere in Europe). I have two littles, and have started doing reading and math with my 4 year old. I have wanted to homeschool since my oldest was born, but I feel a bit isolated here in Italy. I'm so thankful for the technology that allows me to stay a bit more connected! 

As I research different curriculum for next year, I find many say they require "household items" as materials. For me, that's frustrating, because my experience tells me there is often something I would need to grab at Target or a similar store. Here, there is no craft store, Target, etc. It's literally impossible to find the craft supplies which are so common in the states. So at this stage, I think my biggest hurdle will be finding a way to gather the supplies I need (and knowing what those supplies are, when they aren't listed on the internet).

But aside from that, I just want to say hello to everyone. Nice to "meet" all of you!

Sarah

• Like 1

Welcome!!

I didn't find that I needed a lot of 'household items' until my kids got into middle school science.  Before that I was able to improvise with things I actually DID have at home.   :001_smile:  For math counters, anthing can be used - macaroni, marshmallows, paper clips, etc.  You'll probably become very 'creative' in your schooling.  

Yeah, the household items just don't work in a lot of countries, especially if you're moving around. You finally find what you need in one place, but you probably can't move piles of craft supplies and science equipment. We've been able to pretty much entirely avoid having to keep more than the most basic art supplies around by choosing simple curricula. Legos and audiobooks were our most important homeschooling supplies besides books when my children were little. As a previous poster mentioned, it gets harder in middle school and high school science.

Welcome! Homeschooling as an expat is lots of fun.

• Like 2