Menu

Has anyone ever tried using vinegar to treat dandruff?

Bensmom

I'll add another vote for the vinegar, but I would also like to suggest using a baking soda and water mixture in place of shampoo for a little while and see if it helps.

You can experiment with the amount of baking soda you need, but if this is for someone with short hair, you can get away with using quite a bit, because it will still be easy to rinse out. If the dandruff is severe, you can make a thin paste and scrub it around on the head, and then comb it through very well, concentrating on the scalp -- it softens up that waxy stuff on the scalp and takes it off more effectively than most commercial products (without all the chemicals.) After you rinse it out and dry the hair, don't be surprised to see a lot more dandruff when you comb or brush the hair -- it isn't getting worse; it's just that the baking soda mixture softened it up and it is being removed.

For milder dandruff, a tablespoon or two mixed with around 2 cups of water may be enough to do the trick. It doesn't seem to be an exact science, so you may need to experiment a bit!

You can use the apple cider vinegar and water mixture as a final rinse -- you don't need a lot of vinegar after using the baking soda, but the vinegar seems to add more shine to the hair than if you use the baking soda treatment on its own.

Chiming in with another option altogether: coconut oil. Warm a tablespoon of coconut oil, massage it into scalp, wash out (with shampoo) after an hour. You can put a shower cap or towel around your head during the hour wait. Bonus: the smell is tropical instead of salad-like! I think it does a good job. I do need to do it more often…I'm not sure what's suggested, but I only manage to do it once a month or so. I would benefit more doing it weekly, however.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the response. It seems like I have terrible dry scalp problems every winter. Haven't had the best of luck with traditional dandruff shampoo. Hoping these suggestions do the trick.

Seems I can always count on the Hive to offer practical advice ;)

Chiming in with another option altogether: coconut oil. Warm a tablespoon of coconut oil, massage it into scalp, wash out (with shampoo) after an hour. You can put a shower cap or towel around your head during the hour wait. Bonus: the smell is tropical instead of salad-like! I think it does a good job. I do need to do it more often…I'm not sure what's suggested, but I only manage to do it once a month or so. I would benefit more doing it weekly, however.

I've switched to coconut oil too. I tried the vinegar rinses but I smelled like vinegar for weeks afterward. Seriously. Even after several more shampoos I couldn't get the smell out. Now I use coconut oil. I don't leave it on quite as long--it would probably help more if I did. But even so it has helped my dry scalp more than the vinegar rinses.

• Like 1