Menu

Has anyone seen this?

No doesn't look like it is for homeschoolers yet.  I am sure they had to put tremendous financial resources into creating it so they want to recoup on the investment....public school funding is a lot more likely to do that then just a trickle of homeschoolers.  I wonder, though, if HSBC might have the clout to get them to offer it?

and thanks lauranc for the link...

ST Math is not widely available to homeschoolers yet. We are using it through a homeschool pilot program. HSBC offered the pilot program back in January. It runs through June. We are doing both ST Math and Saxon right now. I will be curious to see if they open it to homeschoolers after the pilot program is complete.

• Like 1

ST Math is not widely available to homeschoolers yet. We are using it through a homeschool pilot program. HSBC offered the pilot program back in January. It runs through June. We are doing both ST Math and Saxon right now. I will be curious to see if they open it to homeschoolers after the pilot program is complete.

Would you please give us your early impressions?

• Like 1

Sorry for the tease...trying to watch the stove, too.

ST Math has been a positive experience, so far. We are one month in and 20% done with the 2nd grade syllabus (trying to take advantage of our six month trial). It is meant to be a supplemental program to classroom teaching. The company suggests 90 min per week. We are clocking in about 2+ hours. 

It is a mastery-based program and broken down into different objectives (modules). It is game-based and almost entirely visual, so there is no language barrier. The student uses the visual images to reason through the problems. Then symbols and language are added.  When the problem is answered correctly, "Jiji", a penguin, is able to cross the screen. An incorrect answer blocks Jiji's path and shows the mistake visually. There is a pre-quiz before each new objective and a post-quiz, when all games are completed. They have a confidence level question with the quizzes. The student solves the math problem and enters their confidence level, as well. It is meant to provide some "meta-learning"- making the student understand what he/she knows or doesn't.

What I like-

-The motivation factor. The games are "fun". I never have an issue with whining, etc.

-It tackles each objective from multiple angles.

-The incorrect answer is shown visually. There have been a couple of games that I have no idea what to do. If you guess wrong, it shows you how to complete the puzzle. It does a good job in helping reason out the objective.

-The login. Each student has their own 13 picture login. They train the student to remember the login, visually, in order. It's pretty cool. Maybe not necessary, but is supposedly based in neuroscience so it probably has some purpose. I guess they have applied for a patent for it.

-Their training for the teacher/parent is helpful. It explains everything from how to get students set-up, how the program works, the best "teaching techniques", etc...

Not crazy about-

-We do better with a spiral approach. My son is working through the measurements objective right now and not getting it. Yeah- not pretty. Need to work through it.

-We could do with more symbols and words. I like that it is highly visual, but I need it to bridge the gap to a "regular" math problem more. Not sure how else to say that... The modules feel like a computer game and the quizzes are all symbols. Need more overlap.

Those are my impressions one month in. I would continue to use the program, as a supplement, depending on price point.

Anything I missed?

• Like 2

I'd totally forgotten about this until I saw the picture of the penguin, but my DS tried ST Math one time maybe 1-2 years ago. Perhaps at one of the science museums here in the Bay Area? He found it entertaining but I wouldn't say based on that brief usage that it replaces an actual math curriculum. It's more like iXL or one of the other supplemental programs IMHO. More engaging than what we've found iXL to be.

• Like 2