Menu

Comparison of different online options for taking AOPS algebra?

Oh, I was specifically interested in the course offered by AOPS and the one from here (WTM). I didn't realize they haven't started yet. I see it's a combo of Singapore and AOPS algebra which could be interesting but I don't want her jumping around a lot either. We are finishing Dolciani prealgebra and she enjoys math but young (10) and we have been working on endurance or "grit". We also have a math mentor who could help her work through challenging problems....

• Like 1

To clarify, it is 13 chapters in 16 weeks... but yes, very fast and a lot of weekly work to fit in, including the book.

(I did finally sign up one of my kids for the algebra 1 class, but more as a re-introduction and review, as he's been through most of the book on these topics in the past and a good deal of the alcumus has already been done, so the work load should be light)

Yes, I should have said it is all of algebra one, not all of algebra, lol. But it is still double time, and that rules it out for a whole lot of students. My son went through those same chapters on his own in a standard school year (Sept-June) and it was a great speed for him. 

I think of the AoPS online algebra 1 class as being for kids who need to just get algebra out of the way so they can get on with things. I know it's not totally accurate, it is for highly motivated students etc etc, but still, I imagine them just chomping at the bit to get past basic algebra.

my son really enjoyed the online AoPS pre-A class, and that was in two semesters. He learned so much! We would have thrown our money at them for a two semester algebra 1 class, but it wasn't to be.  I will be keeping my eye on the WTMA algebra class for my younger boy, if indeed is is based on AoPS but at a more typical speed.

WTMA will only cover chapters 1-10 of AOPS algebra, https://docs.google.com/document/d/14BIVSeayYFPrY1xBO9OQGabwvhccIPWLkAE0d4FT7bE/mobilebasic

But it will incorporate another book, practice book, perhaps?

If this had been last year I would have signed up. It meets twice a week, so much better than the once per week at AOPS. I'll have to sign up for AOPS algebra 1 as soon as DD finishes up chapter 13. Most likely it will be in the summer when we have a break from Lukeion and some of our other language obligations.

Dean Otto mentioned in an email to me that there wouldn't be an algebra 2 using AOPS until next year.

• Like 1

I was going to post earlier about the differences between AoPS and the traditional algebra 1... ds is in his class right now, where it was announced (if I caught it right while giving ds his dinner!) that the online courses will be renamed Intro to Alg A and B (formerly 1 and 2) and Intermediate Alg (formerly 3).

I was going to post earlier about the differences between AoPS and the traditional algebra 1... ds is in his class right now, where it was announced (if I caught it right while giving ds his dinner!) that the online courses will be renamed Intro to Alg A and B (formerly 1 and 2) and Intermediate Alg (formerly 3).

I received an email about the renaming(DS curently in AOPS preA class) but the new names were not particularly illuminating to me.

Oh, I was specifically interested in the course offered by AOPS and the one from here (WTM). I didn't realize they haven't started yet. I see it's a combo of Singapore and AOPS algebra which could be interesting but I don't want her jumping around a lot either. We are finishing Dolciani prealgebra and she enjoys math but young (10) and we have been working on endurance or "grit". We also have a math mentor who could help her work through challenging problems....

Yes, and I'm wondering about the pre-algebra WTM version. I'm nervous about the described written proof problems and the fact that discussion participation will be part of the grade. I'm wondering if that will work for these younger kids that are still getting the hang of the online class format or whether it will be too much.

Yes, and I'm wondering about the pre-algebra WTM version. I'm nervous about the described written proof problems and the fact that discussion participation will be part of the grade. I'm wondering if that will work for these younger kids that are still getting the hang of the online class format or whether it will be too much.

There are lots of proof problems in the prealgebra text, it would be impossible to avoid them. They're not that hard once you get the hang of what they're asking. It sounds much more terrifying than it actually is.

• Like 2

Participation is used as part of the grade in AoPS as well (if you are requesting grades).