Menu

Which Star Trek to start with?

Mergath

TNG kind of bugs me how they stand around talking then walk over to the next scene before they start talking again.

Do the cameras at TNG not move at all or is every set on a different sound stage?

It does have Jean Luc Picard though, he is a beast. One can actually imagine him as a Captain of a Starship and not expect him to start singing the Pirate King song or something.

From what I recall, static cameras were the norm back then - much cheaper to film.  The TV show, ER drastically changed the way TV shows are shot. 

I have to agree with you about Picard.  My favorite captain ever.  One of my favorite actors ever.  "Family" and "Inner Light" are my favorite episodes! 

The original is so lame.  They're exploring the galaxy so Kirk can hit on all of the aliens, who are just hot babes in tinfoil miniskirts.  Gimme a break.

The Next Generation is just sooo good!  I don't see any reason not to start at the beginning and work your way through them at your leisure.

In The Next Generation, the First Officer is the one hitting on all the aliens, and the costumes are somewhat better...

• Like 1

Back to the OP, I will add to the almost resounding rec to start with Next Gen. 

Shortly after Dh and I got married, we had just discovered TNG by accident - the new episodes were season 4.  The local station that aired this also aired reruns every other night of the week.  So, we would race home and watch it together.  On the "new" night, I would pick up a pizza from our favorite pizza parlor and we would get out a tablecloth and have a pizza picnic in our living room while watching the show. 

I never liked the original series until I was well into TNG.  I began to see the humor in its campy-ness and to really appreciate how forward thinking it was in its time.  You had a black woman in an important role - something rarely seen on television.  The show ran shortly after it became legal in most of the South to marry outside one's race and it still wasn't universally accepted.  To show horn-dog Kirk hitting up on all these alien women was truly out-of-the-box thinking for its time. 

• Like 1

I never liked the original series until I was well into TNG.  I began to see the humor in its campy-ness and to really appreciate how forward thinking it was in its time.  You had a black woman in an important role - something rarely seen on television.  The show ran shortly after it became legal in most of the South to marry outside one's race and it still wasn't universally accepted.  To show horn-dog Kirk hitting up on all these alien women was truly out-of-the-box thinking for its time. 

As I recall, it also had the first interracial kiss on broadcast TV (even if it was coerced by alien mind-control). 

• Like 4

Would it be better to try really, really hard to watch the original again?  I can't seem to do it without sitting there going, "Wow, this is so old.  Oh my gosh, look at that outfit.  That's supposed to be a computer?"   :p  I really wanted to like it.

No. I've never been able to watch the original for all those reasons. It is so predictable. such bad effects, and the women - oy!

Try Next Generation. It was much better for me. If it isn't better, try Voyager. Each series moves forward a tv generation and it might really change the way you relate to the show. 

No. I've never been able to watch the original for all those reasons. It is so predictable. such bad effects, and the women - oy!

Try Next Generation. It was much better for me. If it isn't better, try Voyager. Each series moves forward a tv generation and it might really change the way you relate to the show. 

sacrilege

& I'm not saying that just because today is such a sad day & I changed my fb profile page to this https://twitter.com/Indefatigabl_/status/571376613113401344

but because that show is cheesy and campy & had special effects that you can make in your living room and yet was SO revolutionary, tackling race, culture, war, peace, conflict resolution.... There was a Russian on the bridge during the Cold War! I mean how was that not great?

That whole show, when you look back is really quite amazing.

And you don't want to go through life not knowing "dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a ....." or 'He's dead, Jim"  or "Highly Illogical" or "I'm giving her all she's got Captain" "Random chance seems to have operated in our favor" & "fascinating" & "I love you. However, I hate you."

Nope. Sorry, you have to watch TOS. :)

• Like 5

sacrilege

& I'm not saying that just because today is such a sad day & I changed my fb profile page to this https://twitter.com/Indefatigabl_/status/571376613113401344

but because that show is cheesy and campy & had special effects that you can make in your living room and yet was SO revolutionary, tackling race, culture, war, peace, conflict resolution.... There was a Russian on the bridge during the Cold War! I mean how was that not great?

And you don't want to go through life not knowing "dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a ....." or 'He's dead, Jim" or "Highly Illogical" or "I'm giving her all she's got Captain" "Random chance seems to have operated in our favor" & "fascinating" & "I love you. However, I hate you."

You are right, one forgets how much they accomplished and how revolutionary it was at the time.

this story comes to mind.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/17/132942461/Star-Treks-Uhura-Reflects-On-MLK-Encounter

You are right, one forgets how much they accomplished and how revolutionary it was at the time.

this story comes to mind.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/17/132942461/Star-Treks-Uhura-Reflects-On-MLK-Encounter

oh yes,  so awesome. Uhura is fierce.

and "Astronaut Mae Jemison, the first African-American woman to go into space with the U.S. space program, told a crowd of nearly 100 Friday evening that Star Trek inspired her."  http://today.duke.edu/2013/10/maejemison

sacrilege

And you don't want to go through life not knowing "dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a ....." or 'He's dead, Jim"  or "Highly Illogical" or "I'm giving her all she's got Captain" "Random chance seems to have operated in our favor" & "fascinating" & "I love you. However, I hate you."

I just saw this thread... Thank you hornblower.... this is it exactly.

Watch the TOS for cultural literacy if nothing else. Most ST references are from TOS, not TNG (ok maybe a couple from TNG).

Plus The Shat.....'nuff said.

(and yes thanks I was the geek captain at my school.... I may have had the full collection of ST action figures in a glass case... :leaving: , other girls had porcelain dolls, I had Spock, Captain and the Doc)

• Like 1