Menu

Literature around the world

I am planning a 7/8th grade year and my dd wants to do world geography. We have usually tied literature to history with a half other periods thrown in so this time we need to figure out a literature list from all the continents (not so optimistic about Antarctica). I need recommendations of good literature that deals more about the different areas, they can be on a high school level but not too dark or gory. To give an idea of what she read this year doing american history

To kill a mockingbird

Roll of thunder hear my cry

Bull run

Animal farm

Sherlock Holmes adventures

I am Malala

Adventures of huck Finn

Dear America

Blood on the river

Oliver Twist

My name is America

Witch of black bird pond

A stolen life

Thanks so much

We did a continent by continent approach and used a lot of folk tales, excerpts, and several larger works.

We found these videos really helpful, though they're aimed at intro college or late high school, so deal with adult topics - http://www.learner.org/courses/worldlit/

I can't remember offhand everything we did and read, but if you want to PM me, I can email you a syllabus of videos and books. It was a fun year!

• Like 2

I'm interested to see what comes up in this thread! Here are a few things that come to mind:

Around the World in 80 Days

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

Just So Stories

Alexander McCall Smith - either his collection of African tales or The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Haroun and the Sea of Stories

Some Chinese and Japanese poetry

The Bridge of San Luis Rey

I love Grass Soup (diary of a survivor of Chinese prison camps) and Pearl S. Buck and Cry, the Beloved Country - but those would all need your judgment call on whether she's ready for those topics.

• Like 2

Thanks so much. She has read a bit of the Chinese/ Far East stories posted. I am looking at Laura's list and will draw some more from there thanks.

I will check out the sunlight titles too. I guess I may need more help with South America and Australian sides if anyone have any ideas.

Thanks again

There's tons of books set in the UK (mostly England) and China. Other countries/continents are harder.

You could try The White Darkness for Antarctica. It's literally the only thing I can think of for that continent.

Seven Little Australians (obvious)

Red Scarf Girl (China)

Anna Karenina, Breaking Stalin's Nose, Angel on the Square (Russia)

One Thousand and One Arabian Nights (McCaughrean) (Middle East) - this one is designed for middle grades, so not as graphic as the original

The Good Master (Hungary)

Philomena (Czechoslovakia)

Zlata's Diary (Bosnia)

A Tale of Two Cities (France & England)

The Return of the Native (England - lots of description of the countryside), also Jane Eyre, or almost anything by Jane Austen

Homeless Bird (India)

A Long Walk to Water (Sudan)

Esperanza Rising (Mexico/California)

Inside Out and Back Again, Goodbye Vietnam (Vietnam)

White Fang, Call of the Wild (Alaska/Canada)

Anne of Green Gables (Canada)

Just for fun, Journey to the Center of the Earth.

• Like 1