Menu

OhE is right again

Tiramisu

Not too long ago I had posted a question about unusual behaviors among my relatives, wondering if it could be ASD related. OhE chimed in and said it could be a social skills deficit related to ADHD. Well, we just had our little evaluation and the psych basically said what OhE said. Untreated ADHD is likely responsible for the social difficulties we've been seeing. Not only that, ADHD is probably also the cause of the depression and anxiety, both of which also impact the development of social skills.

Please keep us in your prayers and we go forward with this information. 

I'm sorry to have been right.   :(

On the plus side, there are answers.  You feeling ok then?  Was it for your dc?  That's a pretty tough wall to hit, when you're thinking spectrum, even if it comes out not.  Labels can shift with time (up or down for that matter), so you never really know.  In some ways it's meaningless distinction.  My kid misses social cues because of a social delay.  Your kid on the spectrum misses cues and has delays.  He's not missing it merely because he's not attending.  He just doesn't get it.

We've had some lists with social skills books, some of which are quite good.  Did your psych recommend a social skills play group?  There's one in our area where you pay to go.  That concerned me, but turns out the county health department gives you funding.  So that's another thing on my list to do, sigh.  Should be neat though and it's a good way to connect with other moms, maybe make a new circle of friends for yourself or the kidlet.

Again, so sorry to have been right.  It's not fun, but it's not the end of the world.  Over the longhaul, you'll start to see the gifts along with the weaknesses.  I have worries like whether he'll be able (ever) to do the things and show perception in a more socially typical way, whether that will affect his employability, etc.  So your psych thought meds would affect it?  They could if it's due to lack of attention.  With ds it's social delay.  The psych said we didn't need to bother with meds because we're homeschooling.  (You know, the whole puff in the cloud that homeschooling solves everything...)  

Remind me what age this is for?  Another major psych (not the one who did our evals) in town does Cogmed, and according to him, from about 8 up it can be as effective as meds.  Would be fascinating to see if you got a shift in behavior with it.  You should for overall, but I hadn't really thought about it for the social and noticing things, hmm.

As a total aside, I finally put up a huge pocket chart today (well, not huge but on the big side of normal) with little flashcards forming columns for the days and our schedule.  So now he has the whole thing out where he can see it and flip things as we do them.  He's so much happier and likes it immensely.  He LOVES that kind of structure, where the plan is something he can see and know.  Clear structure can help with behavioral problems.  He finally has just enough reading, I was able to put words on the cards and he could decode them.  (box, math, nap, swim, etc.)    :hurray: 

This is for my pre-teen. The doctor was trying to figure out the best approach and decided to try to treat the depression first since that's what is hurting dd the most right now. We're going to go very slowly. I have other relatives that have responded very well to depression meds, with even their ADHD symptoms improving, so I'm hopeful. 

I have so much on my plate right now, I'm just grateful, and don't really have the time or emotional space for grieving. And relatively speaking, it's not too much to grieve over. We're fortunate that it's something that's treatable. It won't be perfect but we should be able to see improvement.