Menu

Fish'n'Chip shop question

Rosie_0801

Where we go in Canada we get a choice of Haddock or Cod and always choose the Haddock (after trying both the first time we went - Haddock is firmer in texture and the flavor is different).

Where we are here in the Bahamas it's usually Grouper.  I love Grouper... nice thick pieces of fish with a firm texture and terrific (mild) flavor.

• Like 1

of the fish & chip place we patronize (there are others) I think the default is cod.  (we can also get Cajun seasoned cod.)

we can pay extra for halibut (I prefer), or salmon.

I frequently get oysters.  yum.

eta: while fresh copper river sockeye salmon is my very favorite fish in the whole world (has about a six week run and that's it for the year) - I've never tried salmon fish & chips.  it ain't sockeye (or even king. and variety MATTERS!!!!!), and the idea of slathering batter on good salmon is just  . . . desecration.  our family has a saying.  friends don't' let friends eat farmed salmon.

• Like 1

I wish I had a fish 'n chip shop to go to. :(  :nopity:

We don't either.  It's another excuse we use to travel when the "need" is high (similar to the BBQ thread).  The difference is we can't bring extra home to keep us going between travels as reheated fish & chips would be gross.  Reheated BBQ (real BBQ) is just fine.

Coastal NC reporting.  A microbrewery that we like serves grouper in both fish and chips and fish tacos.  The traditional fried seafood joints will serve thinly breaded and flash fried flounder, shrimp, and oysters.  It comes with fries, slaw and a basket of hushpuppies.

Those of you without access to good fish have my sympathy.

• Like 2

Louisiana (US deep south): catfish is most common, especially in casual places that I assume would be the equivalent of a fish and chip shop. Type of fish is always specified, though. If you order a fish plate or fish po-boy in a place that only serves catfish, then you'd get that with no further comment. If you ordered 'fish' at a place with more than one type, they will ask you what you want, whether it's a restaurant or a gas station (lots of gas stations around here serve fried chicken and fish). 

I've never seen a place that didn't list the type of fish. 

Haddock...for "fish frys." (Edited to add...it is beer-battered.)

You can get one on Fridays nearly any place that serves food, including pizza shops and supermarkets. Served with fries and sometimes coleslaw and/or macaroni salad and/or potato salad and/or tartar sauce and lemon wedge and/or bread/roll.

Louisiana (US deep south): catfish is most common, especially in casual places that I assume would be the equivalent of a fish and chip shop. Type of fish is always specified, though. If you order a fish plate or fish po-boy in a place that only serves catfish, then you'd get that with no further comment. If you ordered 'fish' at a place with more than one type, they will ask you what you want, whether it's a restaurant or a gas station (lots of gas stations around here serve fried chicken and fish). 

I've never seen a place that didn't list the type of fish. 

We used to buy fresh off the boat shrimp at the gas station when we lived in Louisiana. *sigh* Miss that. 

So one can be influenced by a thread.  Both hubby and I had fish and chips for lunch - Grouper.  It was very, very good.

There are more reasons to travel than just seeing the sights.  Both this thread and the BBQ thread have reminded me of that, and of course, there are other foods we like in various regions too.

What I don't understand are those who go places, then eat in exactly the same restaurants choosing the same dishes that they could get at home... (assuming no allergy/medical issues, of course).

• Like 3

How exciting is that! Cornmeal breading! I assume that is grilled fish, not deep fried?

Deep fried, unless she's from a different Louisiana than I am. 

They just use mostly cornmeal with just a bit of flour instead of a flour-based batter. Usually it's soak the fish in a milk or buttermilk mixture, dredge through the cornmeal, and fry. 

• Like 2

I dunno. What does Long John Silver's serve? (LOL)

I'm sure in a city this size, there must be a fish-n-chips place somewhere, but I can't think of where it would be... It's not very popular here in south Texas.

They serve cod or pollock

I am bummed, I meant to grab some cod while I was out shopping but I forgot. Now this thread is making me want fish again but it is snowing and they don't know how to plow, salt the roads, or drive and so now I don't want to leave.

Haddock...for "fish frys." (Edited to add...it is beer-battered.)

You can get one on Fridays nearly any place that serves food, including pizza shops and supermarkets. Served with fries and sometimes coleslaw and/or macaroni salad and/or potato salad and/or tartar sauce and lemon wedge and/or bread/roll.

Basically this on any Friday night in Wisconsin, but at a restaurant usually called a "supper club" for reasons I don't understand. It's usually cod, though.

This is doubly true during Lent and even if you're Lutheran which I was growing up. You also have to order a Brandy Old Fashioned (http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2012/brandy-old-fashioned/). I prefer mine sweet with fruit, but my dad gets his with olives. Korbel brandy, clearly. I think Wisconsin single-handedly keeps their brandy making operation in the green.

It's a Wisconsin tradition - http://www.travelwisconsin.com/article/pubs-taverns/come-fry-with-me-the-wisconsin-fish-fry

• Like 1

Jean in Newcastle, on 25 Feb 2015 - 6:26 PM, said:

Do you mean I should only go to the Ivar's on the waterfront (which I think is closed right now) or do you mean they only use cod in the fish n'chips on the waterfront?  

my mother would go to any ivar's.  I only go to the one on the waterfront. maybe it's just my imagination, but there seems to be a difference in flavor and I've just never been happy with the quality of the 'chain'.

(the few times I've been there recently, the fish bar was open despite the utter chaos around it.  the main restaurant was closed for renovations.  I do try to avoid the chaos of seattle's version of "boston's big dig".  I'd like to see bertha used as landfill.) 

besides - it's fun to throw French fries at the seagulls. :)  (with permission from the seattle city council.  Ivar insisted.)

• Like 1

Basically this on any Friday night in Wisconsin, but at a restaurant usually called a "supper club" for reasons I don't understand. It's usually cod, though.

This is doubly true during Lent and even if you're Lutheran which I was growing up. You also have to order a Brandy Old Fashioned (http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2012/brandy-old-fashioned/). I prefer mine sweet with fruit, but my dad gets his with olives. Korbel brandy, clearly. I think Wisconsin single-handedly keeps their brandy making operation in the green.

It's a Wisconsin tradition - http://www.travelwisconsin.com/article/pubs-taverns/come-fry-with-me-the-wisconsin-fish-fry

Interesting links. Thanks!

• Like 1

How exciting is that! Cornmeal breading! I assume that is grilled fish, not deep fried?

It is very fried.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/southern-fried-catfish-recipe.html

Alton Brown is from Georgia, but his fish is about how I do it. 

It's served with fries and Tony's. 

http://www.tonychachere.com/