Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW8

Robin M

I, for one, am glad we are switching to Mystery March  ;)   My favorite Agatha Christie is And Then There Were None.  I haven't read it since I was much younger, so I will probably reread it in March.  I have always wanted to read Murder on the Orient Express, though, so I might try to squeeze that in as well.  And I'm filing Death on the Nile in the back of my mind too! 

I read And Then There Were None last night. Thanks for suggesting it; I enjoyed it about as much as Murder on the Orient Express.

It's not even March and I'm done with the mystery challenge, for myself. I thought I would get a head start because of our move but these books are fairly quick reads, which is nice.

I do still need to do the "pick a book by its cover" reading.

• Like 10

After giving up on the last Lord Peter Wimsey book I tried (Five Red Herrings) I'm happy to report that I'm LOVING LOVING LOVING Have His Carcase.  You gals told me it was going to be wonderful and you were right.  I wish I had more time to read this week because I want to just get a cuppa tea and get lost in that book.  

• Like 13

I was going to try a Dorothy Sayers again for Mystery March, but you all are making me want to go with Christie. Although I've read many of her books, I actually haven't read And Then There Were None or Murder On the Orient Express. I know both stories and have seen screen adaptations of both, but have not actually read them.

One of my goodreads groups will be reading North and South in March and I really want to join in as I love Gaskell. My IRL book club book for March hasn't been chosen yet. I have several books on hold at the library and don't know which ones will become available when. It looks like March is going to be a busy reading month for me.

• Like 11

If I read anything for Mystery March it will be my now annual re-read of Gaudy Night. It is one of my absolute comfort reads (although I need a new copy since mine had an unfortunate encounter with a glass of water).

Bad reading day today. Don't want to talk about it. I need to go somewhere sunny and warm.

• Like 14

Flufferton friends, please move along.  Disturbing news ahead.

Among the many sins and crimes of ISIS, they have now destroyed the Mosul library.  This library was bombed by my country about a decade ago but fortunately the intervention of the people of Mosul saved its volumes.  No such intervention happened this time.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-burns-thousands-of-rare-books-and-manuscripts-from-mosuls-libraries-10068408.html

Fellow readers, I do not intend to sound glib but I believe that a Star Wars quote sums it up best for me:

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

• Like 2

Flufferton friends, please move along.  Disturbing news ahead.

Among the many sins and crimes of ISIS, they have now destroyed the Mosul library.  This library was bombed by my country about a decade ago but fortunately the intervention of the people of Mosul saved its volumes.  No such intervention happened this time.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-burns-thousands-of-rare-books-and-manuscripts-from-mosuls-libraries-10068408.html

Fellow readers, I do not intend to sound glib but I believe that a Star Wars quote sums it up best for me:

Your link keeps kicking me off because I'm not a subscriber.

So, I googled & here's another news story about it (from the CSM):

http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2015/0225/ISIS-burns-Mosul-library-Why-terrorists-target-books

• Like 2

Per Jane's post about the burning of the Mosul library (and it's not just Mosul, but various art, antiquities, & libraries around the world, including Mali in the past couple of years), it makes me think of two books:

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

(Although I didn't care as much about the 'modern' day storyline, the alternating chapters of historical fiction about the Sarajevo Haggadah & the various times it has been hidden & saved throughout its history were fascinating.)

Amazon Best of the Month, January 2008: One of the earliest Jewish religious volumes to be illuminated with images, the Sarajevo Haggadah survived centuries of purges and wars thanks to people of all faiths who risked their lives to safeguard it. Geraldine Brooks, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of March, has turned the intriguing but sparely detailed history of this precious volume into an emotionally rich, thrilling fictionalization that retraces its turbulent journey. In the hands of Hanna Heath, an impassioned rare-book expert restoring the manuscript in 1996 Sarajevo, it yields clues to its guardians and whereabouts: an insect wing, a wine stain, salt crystals, and a white hair. While readers experience crucial moments in the book's history through a series of fascinating, fleshed-out short stories, Hanna pursues its secrets scientifically, and finds that some interests will still risk everything in the name of protecting this treasure. A complex love story, thrilling mystery, vivid history lesson, and celebration of the enduring power of ideas, People of the Book will surely be hailed as one of the best of 2008.

The Monuments Men by Robert Edsel

From Publishers Weekly:

WWII was the most destructive war in history and caused the greatest dislocation of cultural artifacts. Hundreds of thousands of items remain missing. The main burden fell to a few hundred men and women, curators and archivists, artists and art historians from 13 nations. Their task was to save and preserve what they could of Europe's great art, and they were called the Monuments Men. (Coincidentally or not, this book appears only briefly after Ilaria Dagnini Brey's The Venus Fixers: The Untold Story of the Allied Soldiers Who Saved Italy's Art During World War II, Reviews, June 1.) Edsel has presented their achievements in documentaries and photographs. He and Witter (coauthor of the bestselling Dewey) are no less successful here. Focusing on the organization's role in northwest Europe, they describe the Monuments Men from their initial mission to limit combat damage to structures and artifacts to their changed focus of locating missing items. Most had been stolen by the Nazis. In southern Germany alone, over a thousand caches emerged, containing everything from church bells to insect collections. The story is both engaging and inspiring. In the midst of a total war, armies systematically sought to mitigate cultural loss.

Well... and, of course, Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. (Maybe I need to revisit this classic sometime in 2015.)

• Like 6

Stacia -  How did your dad like the mysteries you got him for Christmas?

I asked him last week & he was just then getting ready to start one. (He got them at the end of January for his birthday.) I think he had a big library stack he was trying to get through when I gave him all those other books, so I guess he's just now getting around to them. (?)

I will post more when I hear more feedback from him.

• Like 6

Reading girlfriends Stacia and Pam decided that Extraordinary Renditions was a "Jane" book. They were correct!  They also noted that Jenn may also like it, particularly the third of the three intertwined stories that compose this novel.  So Jenn, it shall eventually make its way to you!

The renditions of the three tales involve one character who transcribed music as a child at Terezin, another who as a musician interprets the music of that first character who becomes a well known composer.  The middle tale involves Extraordinary Renditions of a different and disturbing nature:  that of terrorist suspects being sent to other countries that have more lenient systems for the treatment of prisoners.  That middle tale was the most uncomfortable of the three for me.

Andrew Erwin's first novel is ambitious, clever, and moving.  Thank you to Stacia who keeps her finger on the pulse of independent presses and to Pam who kindly sent me the book.

Extraordinary-Renditions1.jpg

Budapest is on my places to go list; but it troubles me that neo-fascism seems to be on the rise there. 

One thing that I loved about the book was how the Danube, known in Hungary as the Duna, cuts through the tales as a unifying factor--another geographic feature as character.  This certainly is feeding my fantasy of biking along the Danube from Vienna to Budapest!

• Like 8

:hurray:  Good to see you, Maus! How are you doing?

Better, thanks, Stacia!  DH is a lot more stable, and DS is maturing out of the worst of his issues.  

There's always something.  It seems to be DD10's turn to shake things up, but her issues have been pretty clearly identified, so we know how to deal, mostly.

I don't know why I couldn't post for a while.  Every time I tried, I'd just get an error message that said, "You must enter a post."  Uh, I thought I just did. And I could post from my phone; it was just too tedious.

Anyway, here's two more I just finished.  Both are books DS will probably be assigned in the online English class he'll be taking next year.  He's both a very black and white thinker and a sensitive soul, so I thought I'd better know what we're getting into.

10. "When I Was Your Age" edited by Amy Ehrlich.  I think these will be okay.  

9. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick.  Well, I liked it, but I think I'll have to give my son a spoiler and tell him the end.  Otherwise, we'll probably have a meltdown about how unfair it is.  I don't know.  We just finished "Goblet of Fire" and he handled the death there okay, but I'd warned him that there was going to be one.

8. “Broken Things to Mend†by Jeffrey R. Holland (LDS)

7. “When You Can't Do It Alone†by Brent Top. (LDS)

6. “What to Do When You Worry Too Much†and “What to Do When Your Temper Flares†by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.â€

5. “Tales of a Female Nomad†by Rita Golden Gelman.

4. “Heaven is for Real†by Todd Burpo.

3. "Your Happily Ever After" and "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. (LDS) Small "gift books," but quick, encouraging messages. Counting them both as one, since they are only about 50 pages each!

2. "Cliff-Hanger" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson. My ten year daughter and I are both reading these "National Park Mysteries.

1. "Rage of Fire" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

• Like 10

Still reading along here.  Should finish up Jane Eyre this week after reading Wuthering Heights, then I'll pull out To the Lighthouse for Virginia Woolf reading!  I tend to resist change.  The original March read was Woolf, so Woolf it is!

finished this year:

Crazy Shortcut Quilts

A Passion Most Pure

Wonderful Lonesome

Happier at Home

Keeping House:  The Litany of Everyday Life

Farm Girl

How to be a High School Superstar

Wuthering Heights

You're Already Amazing

Trusting God

Death Comes for the Archbishop

The Hope Chest (by Rebekah Wilson)

Treasure in the Hills

The Quilting Bible

Complete Guide to Quilting

Genesis in Space and Time

A World Without Cancer

Confessions of an Organized Homemaker

Shyness: How Normal Behavior Became a Sickness

What's Best Next

The Granny Square Book

Kids Knitting

Homespun Bride

Make Over: Revitalizing the Many Roles You Fill

Seven-Minute Marriage Solution

Invisibles:  The Power of Anonymous Work in an Age of Relentless Self-Promotion

Pollyanna

currently reading:

The History of the Medieval World

The History of the Ancient World

East of Eden

Jane Eyre

Ivanhoe

• Like 11

Yes, I did pick a new author for March since quite a few BaWer's moaned and groaned about Woolf.  Which ya'll normally don't do and since many dislike her, decided to change it.   March is mystery month so going with 3 classic mystery authors to choose from:

In the past I've read Woolf's A Room of One's Own as well as Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and Michael Cunningham's  The Hours: A Novel.  I read many, many Agatha Christie novels as a teen.  I may read a mystery this month; however, it's more likely I'll read a were-Woolf novel!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

So, do you use a bookmark?  I have a vast collection, but many are prosaic and I'm known to use any scrap of paper or a tissue when needs must.

I use a post-it note--the little square ones that measure about 1.5"x1.5". A few years back I bought a couple of stacks of them at a back-to-school sale (in recent years they haven't gone on sale), and I'm still using them! I have them in every book we have going--home school read-alouds, my books in progress, etc.

• Like 9

So, do you use a bookmark? I have a vast collection, but many are prosaic and I'm known to use any scrap of paper or a tissue when needs must.

Regards,

Kareni

I have several official bookmarks although over the past year or so I have been using postcards from fellow Bookaweekers.
  • Like 9

And a fun post ~

24 Clever And Cute Bookmarks Every Bookworm Needs

And none for Kindle owners.

So, do you use a bookmark?  I have a vast collection, but many are prosaic and I'm known to use any scrap of paper or a tissue when needs must.

Regards,

Kareni

I have a few bookmarks - a few were gifts and a few DD has made for me.  Most of the time I end up using a hair rubber-band to keep my spot because I tend to read in bed and there's always a hair rubber-band sitting on my nightstand.  

• Like 9

Regards,

Kareni

Yup.  One drawer of my desk is dedicated to bookmarks.  I always have multiple books going, so I need lots of bookmarks!

• Like 9

And because the kids' had dental appointments today, I finally finished my take-along:

11. "How the States Got Their Shapes" by Mark Stein.  I found this after watching an episode of the series of the same name that the kids and I have been watching on Netflix.  Not quite as lively as the show, but I'm a history nut, so I liked it.

10. "When I Was Your Age" edited by Amy Ehrlich.

9. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick.

8. “Broken Things to Mend†by Jeffrey R. Holland (LDS)

7. “When You Can't Do It Alone†by Brent Top. (LDS)

6. “What to Do When You Worry Too Much†and “What to Do When Your Temper Flares†by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.â€

5. “Tales of a Female Nomad†by Rita Golden Gelman.

4. “Heaven is for Real†by Todd Burpo.

3. "Your Happily Ever After" and "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. (LDS) Small "gift books," but quick, encouraging messages. Counting them both as one, since they are only about 50 pages each!

2. "Cliff-Hanger" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson. My ten year daughter and I are both reading these "National Park Mysteries.

1. "Rage of Fire" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

• Like 9

I have several that I will always keep. Some because they're pretty, some because I like what's written on them, and one because ds bought it for me with his allowance when he was quite young. He chose it without any help from dh (who used to always help him pick out gifts for me) because he knew how much Mommy loves to read.

Right before I went almost exclusively digital with my reading, I started collecting magnetic bookmarks. I really like them. Again, I kept the ones I like which were mostly ones with inspirational words or pretty nature sketches on them.

I guess the answer than, is no I don't use a bookmark. I'm in the "none for Kindle owners" category.  If the question had been do I have any bookmarks, the answer would be yes, many. :)

• Like 10

I use bookmarks, have some, & love a few of them.

I finished Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor, pub. by Viking (imprint of Penguin Group). It's a YA novel that has some similarities to Harry Potter & The Mysterious Benedict Society, but with a West African/Nigerian base of myth, legend, & fantasy. I'm not usually a fan of YA lit, but this one kept me reading for the cultural uniqueness. I'd recommend it for middle grade children who have enjoyed HP or other recent fantasy novels, but who are looking for something a bit uncommon added to the canon. A caveat -- sensitive types might find part of the storyline frightening (the evil that the protagonists must fight is a serial killer who has been targeting children). Overall, a worthwhile read & recommended for fans of YA fantasy literature.

• Like 10

Earlier I finished the historical romance Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover: The Fourth Rule of Scoundrels by Sarah MacLean; I enjoyed it.  It's the fourth in a series and one would do well to start with the first.

"RITA® Award-winning author Sarah MacLean reveals the identity of The Fallen Angel's final scoundrel in the spectacular conclusion to her New York Times bestselling Rules of Scoundrels series . . .

By day, she is Lady Georgiana, sister to a duke, ruined before her first season in the worst kind of scandal. But the truth is far more shocking—in London's darkest corners, she is Chase, the mysterious, unknown founder of the city's most legendary gaming hell. For years, her double identity has gone undiscovered . . . until now.

Brilliant, driven, handsome-as-sin Duncan West is intrigued by the beautiful, ruined woman who is somehow connected to a world of darkness and sin. He knows she is more than she seems, and he vows to uncover all of Georgiana's secrets, laying bare her past, threatening her present, and risking all she holds dear . . . including her heart."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Regards,

Kareni

Most of the time I use a 3x5 index card.  Something about the feel of the card is very soothing to me.  Does that sound terribly odd?  :001_cool:

• Like 11

Another of the missing checking in. I should be around for a few days. Missed everyone here but I missed dh and the kids much more......

I have skimmed all the posts and multiquote isn't working for me apparently.....have to admit I am wondering if I forgot how. Just tap the reply to x number of posts button right?

Random things I remember trying to reply to......

:grouphug: Noseinabook

Daughter of Time is a favourite. The good parts more than make up for the guy in the bed. Amy tell your dh that someday he may be looking at the burial place of several cousins of Richard's ;).......maybe that will motivate him. Honestly think that book starts a bit slow so it may pick up.

Robin, obviously the British mysteries are perfect for me but I feel guilty for moaning about Woolf. I probably will read one of the mysteries and most likely a Tey because she is the only one where I haven't read or tried to read them all.

Teacherzee, totally agree that Gaudy Night is the best! :)

Happy Birthday! To Kim

I hope everyone is keeping warm and staying safe. I will post comments about what I have finished later. Mainly fluffy stuff....

• Like 11

I use any random scrap of paper for bookmarks.  I often rip a bookmark in a current book in half lengthwise when I start a new book.  I'm totally eclectic about what I'll use - anything goes.  HOWEVER.  I seem to have a bad case of OCD when it comes to my bookmark.  While I'm reading, I really need to know where it is.  I have to check periodically to make sure it hasn't flown or blown away, or fallen off the bed/table, or gotten otherwise lost.  I mean, I *have* to know where it is, or I get anxious.  I don't have any other OCD traits, but I'm definitely OCD about bookmarks.  I always thought this was just a random idiosyncracy, and I've never admitted it to anyone before, but then I recently noticed that my 8 year old is exactly the same way - while she's reading, she keeps reaching out and patting her bookmark, or touching it, or shifting it to a safer position.  Who knew that excessive concern for bookmarks was a genetic trait one could pass to one's children????  :huh:  ;)  :D

• Like 14

Something about the feel of the card is very soothing to me.  Does that sound terribly odd?  :001_cool:

No, not odd. My favorite bookmarks are from a free set of printed postcards & bookmarks I got once at the Smithsonian National Postal Museum. They are just the right size & the right weight of paper (an uncoated card stock). No other bookmark "feels" right, kwim? Just those. I guess they're my Goldilocks bookmarks -- they're "just right".

And, I have a book on my desk that I picked up at the library the other week. I most likely won't have time to start it. Otoh, when flipping through it, the paper is so buttery (why is that the correct word as I really wouldn't want to rub butter, lol?) that I couldn't bring myself to return it yet. The paper feels so good.

I guess I'm not a book sniffer, I'm a book (or rather, paper) feeler. :lol:

And I'm a little like Rose in that I'm a bit OCD about keeping up w/ my favorite bookmarks. I check often to make sure they're still in the books, or beside my books, etc.... :huh:

• Like 11

More on bookmarks:

Those who choose not to use bookmarks when reading library books but instead fold corners of pages drive me crazy!  If you want to do this to your own books, fine.  But why do people do this with publicly owned books?

I finally got the first Inspector Rutledge book (Charles Todd) from the library.  In addition to appearing that someone spilled their soup in the book, the pages are completely mutilated by folds.  I'm doing my best to ignore anything beyond the words.

• Like 11

Bookmarks....embarrassed to say we either use the out of date ones from the library, they have a stack of really old free ones that no one wanted advertising things like the 2012 Booker Prize, or I cut up nice weight brochure type scrap paper into one inch strips. We go through lots of bookmarks....

• Like 8

The Akata Witch book library book I read had lots of previously-folded corners. My mom always folds corners in her books, so I guess I'm somewhat used to seeing that from my childhood. So, it doesn't particularly bother me (but I don't do it myself). If I get a library book that has folded corners, I always unfold them as I go through the book. :laugh: (What drives me crazy is that neither of my dc use bookmarks; they just leave books splayed open to the page they're on, esp. ds. :willy_nilly:  If he does have to close it, he just remembers the page number he's on. :001_huh: )

Otoh, I don't like when a library book has obviously been around a smoker. I can smell it on the book & it is often strong enough to make me return the book w/out reading it at all. Fortunately, it rarely happens that I get one that smells like cigarette smoke. (My sil used to always give me books of hers to borrow, but since they were her books, lived in her house, & she smokes, they had such a strong odor that even reading a few pages would make my nose run & give me a tremendous headache. Though she still has plenty of paper books, most of her books now are on the nook, so that has taken care of the issue to a large extent.)

• Like 9

Otoh, I don't like when a library book has obviously been around a smoker. I can smell it on the book & it is often strong enough to make me return the book w/out reading it at all. Fortunately, it rarely happens that I get one that smells like cigarette smoke. (My sil used to always give me books of hers to borrow, but since they were her books, lived in her house, & she smokes, they had such a strong odor that even reading a few pages would make my nose run & give me a tremendous headache. Though she still has plenty of paper books, most of her books now are on the nook, so that has taken care of the issue to a large extent.)

:iagree:  That's the real reason I couldn't read The Night Circus and I never picked it back up to try again.  That library book reeked!

And also just want to say thanks for recommending The Strange Library.  I was looking at my Book Challenge that I'm doing with IRL friends, and I needed a book that was originally written in another language.  I looked it up and The Strange Library was translated from Japanese  :hurray:  I don't know that I would have gotten to check that box off otherwise  ;)  Funny enough, I still find myself musing about that book every now and then.  I think I might need to reread it.

• Like 9

Per Jane's post about the burning of the Mosul library (and it's not just Mosul, but various art, antiquities, & libraries around the world, including Mali in the past couple of years), it makes me think of two books:

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

(Although I didn't care as much about the 'modern' day storyline, the alternating chapters of historical fiction about the Sarajevo Haggadah & the various times it has been hidden & saved throughout its history were fascinating.)

The Monuments Men by Robert Edsel

From Publishers Weekly:

Well... and, of course, Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four. (Maybe I need to revisit this classic sometime in 2015.)

Don't forget Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury

And a fun post ~

24 Clever And Cute Bookmarks Every Bookworm Needs

Regards,

Kareni

I use whatever is handy. Gum wrapper, booby pin, scrap of paper, index card, free bookmarks from library, wooden popsicle stick (not one from an actual popsicle), and I even have bookmark pens which I love but can never find around my house. 

I'm still using bobby pins for bookmarks. :leaving:

I use those too. They are perfect as they don't fall out. 

I'll read Woolf as well. I loved the one and only book I've read from her so far. Still need to read my Austen though. In case you're tsk, tsking me, I did finish my reading before class. I figure I can knock out ch. 6 and the homework and read Austen all in the next few days. 

• Like 9

I'll catch up in a minute.  I started Thunderstruck by Erik Larson.  I just couldn't take more of Court.  So I feel the need to defend Marconi in this book.  The author seems very dismissive of his mother's education of Marconi until ~age 12 and the support for this seems to be his teachers who smacked, bullied, humiliated, and abused him because he was shy and knew English (Irish mother) more than Italian.  This just angers me.  Homeschooling and schooling by tutors is not the ultimate cause of shyness, for goodness' sake.  I was desperately shy and formal schooling nearly destroyed me.  Ugh.  The author details Marconi's unusual brightness in electricity, music, etc. but of course his "solitary upbringing" was "a liability". 

• Like 7

I've been enjoying all of the bookmark conversation.  Please continue to share.

Last night I re-read Lisa Marie Rice's Nightfire: A Protectors Novel.

"Chloe Mason’s childhood memories consist of seemingly endless hospital stays. Now all grown up and healthy, her determination to fill the gaping holes in her past leads her to her long-lost brother, Harry . . . which brings Harry’s friend and business partner, Mike Keillor, crashing into her life and her heart.

Former Marine Force Recon sniper and SWAT officer—a martial arts expert and owner of a successful security company—Mike can deal coolly and efficiently with any threat . . . until he’s blindsided by something he never expected: fierce, fiery passion . . . and love.

But when Chloe inadvertently crosses the Russian mob, Mike realizes that evil is darkening his world once again. He has already lost his family; he will not lose the woman who enflames him, who makes him whole. Failure is not an option."

I like this series more than the author's newer Ghost Ops series.  Adult content plus trigger warnings: attempted rape and violence

I also recently read and enjoyed the author's older series Midnight Man,  Midnight Run,   and Midnight Angel.  (Definite adult content.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I have a wonderful collection of bookmarks from China, Japan, & Indonesia as well as pop culture ones from Comic-Con and some fun Harry Potter ones. But do I use them?  Of course not!  When I need to mark my place in a book I'm usually not in the part of the house where all those lovely bookmarks are put away, so I use what ever is at hand whether a scrap of paper, or the library receipt or taco shop receipt.  Besides, like Rose, when I do use them I start to get worried about them getting lost!  Or they are too stiff to stay put in an unread section of the book while I'm reading.

All my childhood books and my parents' books that I've kept, and all the music and old photographs and letters, have that stale smoke smell as my mom was a heavy smoker. One of my kids said he didn't know the smell was due to her smoking, he thought it is just how old books smell! What a shame, though it hasn't put him off from the joys of used book stores.

My husband is guilty of the folded corner.  I was horrified to discover it back when he was reading aloud to the kids, but I didn't kick him out of the house, lol!  And this habit is in a man who used to collect comic books, kept them in mylar bags and had rules about how to properly handle them!

As to my current reads, Moriarty is a riveting listen.  My college boy and I share my Audible account, so when I start to listen on my iPhone, I get a message asking where I want to start listening, the last spot I was at on my iPhone or the spot where my college boy is on his iPhone? The stinker is way ahead of me -- doesn't he have studying to do?  

• Like 12

Reading girlfriends Stacia and Pam decided that Extraordinary Renditions was a "Jane" book. They were correct!  They also noted that Jenn may also like it, particularly the third of the three intertwined stories that compose this novel.  So Jenn, it shall eventually make its way to you!

Extraordinary-Renditions1.jpg

Yes, please!  

I was in Budapest for a couple of days during a European tour I took with my mom back in 1990.  It was just as Eastern Europe was opening up, which made it a very emotional experience for my mom and most of the tour group who were of the WWII generation, and who remembered all those countries falling behind the Iron Curtain. All that to say that Budapest is indeed beautiful.  

• Like 6

No, not odd. My favorite bookmarks are from a free set of printed postcards & bookmarks I got once at the Smithsonian National Postal Museum. They are just the right size & the right weight of paper (an uncoated card stock). No other bookmark "feels" right, kwim? Just those. I guess they're my Goldilocks bookmarks -- they're "just right".

And, I have a book on my desk that I picked up at the library the other week. I most likely won't have time to start it. Otoh, when flipping through it, the paper is so buttery (why is that the correct word as I really wouldn't want to rub butter, lol?) that I couldn't bring myself to return it yet. The paper feels so good.

I guess I'm not a book sniffer, I'm a book (or rather, paper) feeler. :lol:

And I'm a little like Rose in that I'm a bit OCD about keeping up w/ my favorite bookmarks. I check often to make sure they're still in the books, or beside my books, etc.... :huh:

Yes!  The bolded is why I will likely always prefer physical books to ebooks. I love some good paper :D

• Like 7