Menu

How do you find colleges with study abroad programs?

Greta

This might seem like a strange basis upon which to choose a school, but I'd like to find out about colleges/universities in the US which have exchange or study-abroad programs with schools in London. And I have no idea how to go about getting that information.

My daughter's dream is to go to school in London, so I have been looking into that. But for any number of reasons (not the least of which is financial) that dream may not become a reality. So, I'd like to have a Plan B with a school (or several schools) here in the US that could offer her a year in London.

I don't even know how/where to start! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I think every school dd looked at had a study-abroad program! Either it was one entirely run by the university or they we a member of a consortium. The information was easily found on the schools' websites.

There are other study abroad programs to which colleges direct their students if they do not have their own program.

I think using your own school's program would be much easier than using another school's, as there would be no difficulties with credit acceptance and transfer.

I think every school dd looked at had a study-abroad program! Either it was one entirely run by the university or they we a member of a consortium. The information was easily found on the schools' websites.

Well that's good to know! I guess it will be more a matter of narrowing it down than finding one. Thanks!

Schools that run their own programs often have a few scholarships to attend their own program. That's how one of my roommates spent a year at St. Andrew's. She could not have gone, otherwise. 

I like the option of school run programs because you do not have to do anything to make the credits transfer. 

Most of the university websites we've researched have a section on study abroad. The ones that have their own programs highlight that. They also make note of programs they participate in through third party groups. 

Almost any school is going to have some study abroad opportunities.  The term "study abroad" refers to many different types of programs.  Some universities take a group of students to a foreign location to study.  In this case, your child would be predominantly with students from the home school, register for a class at the home school, pay tuition at the home school, etc.  Financial aid packages will extend to these courses just as if a student was taking the course at the home campus. Other study abroad programs are based upon specific agreements with a foreign school--students can register for A, B, and C and it will count for X, Y, and Z at the home school.  Other programs are through consortiums--these tend to be the most expensive and the most difficult to get course credit to transfer.

Does your daughter have a particular major in mind?  Because of sequencing of courses, it is easier to plan a semester study abroad for some majors than others.  If you are in a major that has a particular sequencing of courses (especially a smaller school where there are not as many course offerings every semester), it is often easier to do study abroad within a home school environment rather than a consortium.

(I just realized within this context my use of the term "home school" might be confusing--I mean the US college at which the student has matriculated and will receive a degree.)

Diana and jdahlquist - thank you for clarifying this! I didn't even realize the two different types, but what I had in mind was the school-run type programs (what's the term for this?). At the university that I attended, it was always mentioned in my French classes that the university had an arrangement with a particular university in France so that you could study there for a time, but still pay the same tuition - you basically just had to buy your plane ticket I think. That's the kind of thing I was picturing.

How does one find out about those? Just at each college or university's own website?

She wants to study graphic arts (aka graphic design, digital arts - different schools seem to use different terms, but as far as I can tell those are all similar).

Often the type of program in which you would pay home school tuition would be an "exchange program."  But, different schools will use different names.  Often "faculty-led" programs will be where you pay home school tuition but go with a faculty member from the home university.  Often the programs will be major specific.  I am not aware of a singe source for this information.  It is sometimes difficult at a university to find that information in a single place because it does often vary by major and with college of the university.  (For example, I teach in a business school; we have a program that is only available to declared business majors; there is another program out of liberal arts that business students would find difficult to participate in....)

If there is a specific school at which your daughter wants to study in London, I might try working backwards.  Look at that school and see if they have exchange programs with US schools.  

Often the type of program in which you would pay home school tuition would be an "exchange program." But, different schools will use different names. Often "faculty-led" programs will be where you pay home school tuition but go with a faculty member from the home university. Often the programs will be major specific. I am not aware of a singe source for this information. It is sometimes difficult at a university to find that information in a single place because it does often vary by major and with college of the university. (For example, I teach in a business school; we have a program that is only available to declared business majors; there is another program out of liberal arts that business students would find difficult to participate in....)

If there is a specific school at which your daughter wants to study in London, I might try working backwards. Look at that school and see if they have exchange programs with US schools.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

This might seem like a strange basis upon which to choose a school, but I'd like to find out about colleges/universities in the US which have exchange or study-abroad programs with schools in London. And I have no idea how to go about getting that information.

My daughter's dream is to go to school in London, so I have been looking into that. But for any number of reasons (not the least of which is financial) that dream may not become a reality. So, I'd like to have a Plan B with a school (or several schools) here in the US that could offer her a year in London.

I don't even know how/where to start! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

They pretty much all have them today.  They are very, very lucrative.  Though there may be minimal tuition in the destination school, the home school will still charge a big chunk of money.

One of My kids wanted to study overseas and so arranged it directly.  That's an option too. 

If you want to research it, maybe College Confidential could help you there. 

They pretty much all have them today. They are very, very lucrative. Though there may be minimal tuition in the destination school, the home school will still charge a big chunk of money.

One of My kids wanted to study overseas and so arranged it directly. That's an option too.

If you want to research it, maybe College Confidential could help you there.

Thanks!

Butler University has a HUGE exchange program -- but you don't have to go to Butler to be part of their exchange program.

My son spent a year at Oxford through Butler. Affter applying to Butler for the exchnage program, he then applied to Oxford through Butler. He lived at his college, was 100% an Oxford student while he was there, but Butler provided a very worthwhile orientation, handled the visa, and coordinated with Oxford so he received American credits for his classes. Then his college took the info from Butler and incorporated the Oxford classes into his college transcript. The whole experience was highly professional -- my husband and I were extremely impressed!

Butler University has a HUGE exchange program -- but you don't have to go to Butler to be part of their exchange program.

My son spent a year at Oxford through Butler. Affter applying to Butler for the exchnage program, he then applied to Oxford through Butler. He lived at his college, was 100% an Oxford student while he was there, but Butler provided a very worthwhile orientation, handled the visa, and coordinated with Oxford so he received American credits for his classes. Then his college took the info from Butler and incorporated the Oxford classes into his college transcript. The whole experience was highly professional -- my husband and I were extremely impressed!

Wow, that does sound very impressive! Thanks so much for mentioning this!