Menu

vacuum frequency question

fdrinca

how many times a week do you vacuum your common area?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. You vacuum your common area

• 7+ times a week
    • 4-6 times a week
    • 2-4 times a week
    • 1 time a week
    • <1, never, other, robots are cool!

My house is presentable for unannounced company. That shall suffice; I don't need them to eat off the floor. I have plates.

I want to frame the above quote and hang it on my wall. It's brilliant.

Of course if there is a mess of crumbs or whatever on the floor, I will clean it up.  But as far as "how often do you do this particular chore," the answer is weekly. And my 14-year-old son does it, not me.  He's more detail oriented and does a better job :-)

• Like 2

Love the variety of these answers! 

It gives me hope that when my kids are not crumb and mess machines that perhaps I won't have to dedicate time every day to this task.

The upshot is that I can't hear the kids while I'm vacuuming, so it's 20 minutes of concentrated thinking.

• Like 1

Vacuum every day, but that is because we have two dogs and a cat, and two long haired females. We sweep the other rooms at least every other day, depending on what the weather is like.

I'm a once a weeker for vacuuming, but we only have 2 area rugs in the whole house and they don't get a ton of wear. We also have a mudroom where all shoes are left, so we're slippers, socks or barefoot inside. Sweeping however, can be a 3x a day thing. We have tile downstairs and I feel like I'm constantly sweeping and swiffering!

We vacuum as needed and I'm quite tolerant of dirt and hair so "as needed" generally means < once per week. When the dust bunnies and cobwebs start to take over, one of us will think about it. It's not unusual for us to vacuum about once per month - even with cats and living on a farm. I am pretty firm about "no boots in the house." Anyone violating that gets to sweep/mop/vacuum to clean up their mess.

I have warned members in the past that if they plan to come over for a visit they'd best give us fair warning if they want a semi-clean house. Dishes and clothes are kept clean (and we're not Hoarders, so there's no paths + chairs/beds are actually used for sitting/sleeping), but that's about it.

Clean just doesn't rank high on our "needs" list.

Same.

I vacuumed yesterday, but only because my parents are spending the weekend with us. Before that....it's been a week or two (or more?) since the vacuum has been used.

• Like 1

Living room every day, then upstairs and downstairs get done on alternating days.  The living room is our most common room that would need vacuuming and we have cats -- some of whom seem to shed on a whim just walking through a room. :)  I also sweep the kitchen everyday because... cats. (and I'm a messy cook :o )

• Like 1

Not nearly as often as it is needed...

A vacuum guy once told me that you should vacuum one time a week for each pair of feet that is on the floor. (A dog has two pair of feet/a human one.) That means I should be vacuuming common areas almost daily. Bedrooms once to 4 times a week. I do not. I hang my head in shame. Oh well. Not like we have much company.

2-4 times a week or more, but really it should optimally be done more often.  I have a dog that sheds tumbleweeds, so a day or two after I vacuum there are rolling tumbleweeds of fur already.

We have replaced a considerable amount of carpet with hard flooring.  Our stairs got hairy quickly from our dog who liked to look out the window from the 7th step or so.  We have since replaced the carpet on stairs with wood treads and risers, so that's a lot easier to maintain.

Once a week. We have no carpet, one shedding dog and three smallish kids. We don't wear shoes in the house and we try and wipe the dog's paws off after she comes in from a walk or playing outside. We only eat in the kitchen or dining room. I sweep the kitchen after every meal and generally sweep the common area and stairs once in the evening. That keeps everything clean enough until the next vacuuming. 

We have an open floor plan, so the dining room and living room are adjacent, and the kitchen has two wide openings to this area. 

We sweep the kitchen daily. We should sweep the dining room daily, but we're lazy, so 3-4 times a week. 

There's a large area run in the living room; dh vacuums at least 4x a week and often more. It would be much less if that were my job, lol. We have two cats, but I am much less grossed out by random cat hair than he is  :laugh:

Not nearly as often as it is needed...

A vacuum guy once told me that you should vacuum one time a week for each pair of feet that is on the floor. (A dog has two pair of feet/a human one.) That means I should be vacuuming common areas almost daily. Bedrooms once to 4 times a week. I do not. I hang my head in shame. Oh well. Not like we have much company.

hmm, 3 dogs, 4 humans = 10 times!  (and till last Oct 1 cat so that would have been 12).  That's a lot of vacuuming, even for me ...  

hmm, 3 dogs, 4 humans = 10 times!  (and till last Oct 1 cat so that would have been 12).  That's a lot of vacuuming, even for me ...  

Yeah, until the 3 girls left we were at 10X for common areas. Which is one of the reasons I decided to ignore it. The advice does make some sense though. At this point, my dog probably should count as 4 pair of feet instead of two. She is shedding like crazy! I just ignore it for the most part. It is impossible to keep up with.

I voted less than once a week, but really roughly once a week is the most accurate answer. I would say about once a week (not any particular day, but whenever I notice it needing it), and whenever someone is coming over. 

I did vacuum more often when I had very small children who were crawling around or might pick up a crumb of anything that was on the floor, but never, ever daily.

As I've aged, I've discovered that the floors are one of those subconscious "my house is clean" signals for me. The rest of the house can be cluttery and crazy, but if the floors are swept/vacuumed, I feel like I can breathe. Everything else can be relatively clean, and if there are bits and pieces on the floors, crumbs in the kitchen, the high traffic areas are grubby and flat, etc., I feel like we live in squalor. If I could, I'd vacuum daily for my own peace of mind, but ultimately, I don't have time. And there's always more stuff gathering on the floors as soon as I turn my back, so if I let myself start focusing too hard on the floors, that starts to lead me into OCD territory :lol: (but really, :scared:). 

So my vote is 2-4 times a week, but if I had my way, it would be more like a quick pass once a day. (And I used to  :001_rolleyes: at people who cleaned their floors once a day  :blush:.)

I wouldn't worry too much about what your DD said. As long as you're not making the rest of the family members crazy about it or edging over into compulsiveness, I don't see anything wrong with liking a clean floor. We all have "things" that are important to us. Someday she'll be an adult and will have "things" too :D

• Like 2

Today DD6 said that vacuuming was my hobby, and my heart broke a little. I realize that I do it at least once a day, probably twice. I'm curious how often others do, too?

There are lots of caveats in a poll like this (small kids, pets, being at home, personal mess threshold variances), but I'm hopeful to see that daily vacuuming is the norm. 

bullet_star_rated.png <1, never, other, robots are cool!

My common area is not carpeted.  :001_tt2: 

But to be honest I don't sweep it very often, either.  The only carpeted room in the house is my bedroom...  and until last night it had so much stashed clutter that vacuuming was actually not possible.

when the carpet goes in the spring, I will have ZERO carpeted rooms, and no area rugs except little ones that fit in a washing machine.

I live in the country, with no garage or sidewalks, so I really need to vacuum several times a week. In theory, each of the rooms in the main floor, plus the upstairs hallways and the steps, gets vacuumed daily, by the child who cleans up that area (and bedrooms about weekly), but in reality, the 3yo doesn't vacuum the area he tidies, and some days we skip vacuuming, so it works out to 4 or so times a week, slightly more than every other day.

I don't sweep much, just around the table, but the vacuum gets most everything.

Once per week. It is dd16s chore. We have zero pets and a concrete driveway so little outside mess. My youngest is 8yo so we don't have any babies around. We have a whole house air filter so we have very little interior dust as welL.

Okay, I love to vacuum. And I rarely, rarely get to do it. When I lived in the dorm in college, I would vacuum other people's rooms. I'd check the vacuum out from the front desk, vacuum my room, and go and ask other's if I could vacuum their room.

Would you care to visit?

• Like 1

One time a week. We do not wear shoes inside, have no pets and don't eat outside the kitchen so it really is enough.

Lol. Trust me, this is still variable based on number of feet. ;). We are exactly the same (with the exception of just getting a puppy a week ago) and we still vacuum daily.

I suspect it is partially that my kids are mostly girls so thread, yarn, fiber, paper crafts, pencil shavings are a daily mess.

One time a week. We do not wear shoes inside, have no pets and don't eat outside the kitchen so it really is enough.

Lol. Trust me, this is still variable based on number of feet. ;). We are exactly the same (with the exception of just getting a puppy a week ago) and we still vacuum daily.

I suspect it is partially that my kids are mostly girls so thread, yarn, fiber, paper crafts, pencil shavings are a daily mess.

Holy cow there are people out there vacuuming every day and more than once a day???!!!    :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

I hate vacuuming.  My DH does it when he is not working out of town, probably once every week to two weeks, or when we are having company.  When he is out of town often in the summer-time.....well, it is the only area I can be like DH and DD and magically "not look at it"...

.....well, it is the only area I can be like DH and DD and magically "not look at it"...

To be fair, I hate vacuuming too. But I hate cruddy floors even more. I walk around barefoot all the time, and having bits of gerbil litter, crumbs, tiny pebbles from outside, bits of paper or plastic or whatever from the latest craft projects sticking to my feet creeps me out. I can ignore it for only so long before I want to scream!

Now, dusting, on the other hand... I loooooooooathe dusting, and I generally don't "see" dust at all--at least until the kids start writing in it :lol:

Once a week when housekeeper comes. Touch up when absolutely needed (ie: a bowl of goldfish dumped and stomped on) in between.

7 months pregnant with a ds age 1, ds age 6 who is sensitive to the noise of a vacuum... and we live in the country. I'd like to do it daily, but it is low quality off white carpet that just looks grubby and tracked down within 3 hours. No point. My time is better spent elsewhere for now.

Once a week when housekeeper comes. Touch up when absolutely needed (ie: a bowl of goldfish dumped and stomped on) in between.

7 months pregnant with a ds age 1, ds age 6 who is sensitive to the noise of a vacuum... and we live in the country. I'd like to do it daily, but it is low quality off white carpet that just looks grubby and tracked down within 3 hours. No point. My time is better spent elsewhere for now.

OK, I read this several times and I finally realized you're talking about goldfish crackers!!!! I was really feeling badly for your goldfish AND impressed at your vacuuming skills :lol: 

• Like 1