Menu

No More Discovering Mathematics!!!

chepyl

My plan has always been to put Aidan in Discovering Mathematics when he finished SM primary mathematics. It has worked so well for him!

I went to look for prices to add to my shopping list - and they discontinued it!!

They changed it to Dimensions mathematics, aligned it to common core, made two years worth and now don't plan to finish the other two years.

I can't start an integrated program and then stop halfway through. Ugh!!

So now I need suggestions. Here is where we are:

Aidan is 9.5. He is starting SM 6a this week. He will finish it by the end of the school year. We will start 6b in the fall or work through it over the summer I he wants to.

Math comes easy for him. He makes errors because he does not write his work out fully or because he rushes. Rarely because he does not grasp a concept.

Right now, he still needs review of dividing with fractions and some work with percents. Both will be covered more in level 6. If he is still weak, we will do "Key to ...." Books on the needed topics.

What would be a good program for a 10 year old after SM 6b???

You can still get DM 3 & 4 from Star Publishing if you like. Not sure on what the shipping would be to the U.S. as we dumped DM towards the end of 8A when it became clear that it wasn't working. http://www.starpub.com.sg/product-discovering-mathematics.php

How do you even start to order from there? I could not find prices or anything. If I can figure it out, I will probably just order everything at once. But, I still need a good back up plan. I want one program. We don't have the time to do two math programs.

I looked on eBay and Amazon for used. They are pretty pricey and I can't find everything.

If I can figure out that other website, I will try that. If not?

I have heard good things about AoPS. Is prealgebra necessary after SM 6b? I found the placement tests, but we haven't started level 6, I am just trying to gauge where we might be in the fall.

I looked on eBay and Amazon for used. They are pretty pricey and I can't find everything.

If I can figure out that other website, I will try that. If not?

You are correct this is now a "rare book" on the open marketplace and way over-priced.  Time to move on to a new series.

AoPS is good and quite popular. Use the placement tests.

How do you even start to order from there? I could not find prices or anything. If I can figure it out, I will probably just order everything at once. But, I still need a good back up plan. I want one program. We don't have the time to do two math programs.

Hmm, you're right that I don't see an easy way to order the books from Star Publishing. You'd probably need to shoot them an email.

An alternative would be ordering the New Syllabus Math through SG Box: http://www.sgbox.com/singaporemath.html

I've never seen any of the NSM books so I can't compare them to DM.

My oldest wound up switching to Lial's Beginning Algebra partway through DM 8A and my 2nd child is most likely going to do AoPS Pre-Algebra after he finishes SM 5 & BA 4.

• Like 1

The New Primary Maths books were comparable to Primary maths to the point that I could use the MItchell Cavendish books with them with no problems or tweaking except for sections on money and measurement. I'm guessing the New Syllabus maths is similar, but I've never seen them either.

Hmm, you're right that I don't see an easy way to order the books from Star Publishing. You'd probably need to shoot them an email.

An alternative would be ordering the New Syllabus Math through SG Box: http://www.sgbox.com/singaporemath.html

My oldest wound up switching to Lial's Beginning Algebra partway through DM 8A and my 2nd child is most likely going to do AoPS Pre-Algebra after he finishes SM 5 & BA 4.

Do you think we would need AoPS prealgebra after SM 6b?

I think it would be a good idea. AOPS PA is a lot deeper  than pretty much anything else out there, and it's the thinking and challenge of AOPS that makes it of value. We did AOPS after doing a full year of other PA (LOF and Key to Algebra, plus a lot of other stuff after SM 5B), and while the concepts largely weren't new, the application was. And AOPS Algebra starts hard out of the gate-it doesn't do any hand-holding.  If you've got time, I'd do AOPS PA.

• Like 2

Do you think we would need AoPS prealgebra after SM 6b?

Many of us went from SM5 or SM6 to AoPS Algebra before their prealgebra book came out. It's not a path I'd necessarily recommend except for a very strong math student. I'd tend to do AoPS prealgebra (even if you move through it quickly) before doing the algebra book. The prealgebra book also has some beginning counting, statistics, number theory, and geometry which is not in the algebra book.

• Like 1

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Secondary_Math_s/16.htm

looks like their new math program was adopted in 2013:

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/syllabuses/sciences/

Have you looked at Video Text Algebra?  It encompasses Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and Algebra II.  There are 172 lessons.  For each lesson, the student watches the video lesson (starting and stopping as prompted to figure out answers to questions), then reads over the printed notes that go with the lesson (no need to take notes during the lesson).  They do the practice exercise.  The next day, they take a quiz on the material from the previous lesson.   If they pass, the watch the next lesson.  If not, they review the previous video, and do the second set of practice exercises (there are two sets for each lesson).  The next day, they take the second quiz for the previous lesson (again, there are two quizzes for each lesson).  If they pass, they go on to the next lesson.  (There are more practices exercises and quizzes available online, if needed).  If he is still having trouble, there are tutors available by phone who will help.

A student who has little or no trouble understanding the material will be able to get through it in one school year.  

The lessons are short and very well laid out, so this is conceivable, but two years is what the company recommends.  

My dd did it after SM6B, and it was a smooth transition.  

Have you looked at Video Text Algebra?  It encompasses Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and Algebra II.  There are 172 lessons.  For each lesson, the student watches the video lesson (starting and stopping as prompted to figure out answers to questions), then reads over the printed notes that go with the lesson (no need to take notes during the lesson).  They do the practice exercise.  The next day, they take a quiz on the material from the previous lesson.   If they pass, the watch the next lesson.  If not, they review the previous video, and do the second set of practice exercises (there are two sets for each lesson).  The next day, they take the second quiz for the previous lesson (again, there are two quizzes for each lesson).  If they pass, they go on to the next lesson.  (There are more practices exercises and quizzes available online, if needed).  If he is still having trouble, there are tutors available by phone who will help.

A student who has little or no trouble understanding the material will be able to get through it in one school year.  

The lessons are short and very well laid out, so this is conceivable, but two years is what the company recommends.  

My dd did it after SM6B, and it was a smooth transition.  

I hear very little about Videotext on this forum, but I've heard Tom Clark speak, and he makes sense. He sounds like he enjoys teaching. 

Anyway, with short lessons, do you know if they tend to go over the same concept from lots of different perspectives and use those concepts in many contexts? My son really needs that--he blazes through Singapore TB, but the IP is what makes him remember, understand, and get comfortable with a concept because the IP turns things around and asks you to think of a concept in multiple ways.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest adhurwitz

Has anyone found a place to get Discovering Mathematics 4A and 4B?  I just found out about this 'problem' when I went to order the books for this year.  Now I'm scrambling to figure out what to do for my son for his 'last year' of math.  I was able to find 1 copy of 4A Textbook on Amazon, but am still looking for 4B and the Teacher's guides for both.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Angie

I actually have DM levels 1, 2, and 3.  My DD13 decided that she wants to go to high school and I've been thinking about selling them.  I don't have level 4 (sorry). DS16 decided he wanted to go to college when he was 13, so I ended up not buying it when he finished level 3.  I've read some of these forums occasionally for a few years, so I was browsing today to see there was still a sale/swap page & set up an account when I found it.

Jill 

Has anyone found a place to get Discovering Mathematics 4A and 4B? I just found out about this 'problem' when I went to order the books for this year. Now I'm scrambling to figure out what to do for my son for his 'last year' of math. I was able to find 1 copy of 4A Textbook on Amazon, but am still looking for 4B and the Teacher's guides for both.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Angie

Just fyi, 4B is two chapters of math-in-the-real-world kinds of stuff, and then just a bunch of chapters of review. We have 4A and 4B, and even so I'm only planning on having her do 4A and. keeping 4b just in case she wants more review before standardized testing. So if you agree, then you're only a teacher's guide away from having everything you need! At worst, could you pay a math tutor to answer questions? You will have all the answers in the back of the book, so your only issue will be with the questions your kid gets wrong and can't figure out alone.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Singapore NEM (it's a little more mathy than DM) 1, 2 & 3. I will be selling them all next year when my daughter graduates.

Have you tried to find NEM used?

NEM 1&2 are still available new in print... http://www.singaporemath.com/New_Elementary_Math_s/47.htm

3&4 are out of print.

From the singaporemath.com FAQ

What about New Elementary Mathematics?

New Elementary Mathematics is an older series no longer in print or used in Singapore. We continue to sell it since it is still popular here in the U.S. and is also used in the Elementary Mathematics for Teachers text that we sell. It is more challenging than the Dimensions Mathematics®. It has not been adapted in any way for the U.S. The series meets the criteria for Singapore’s syllabus in 1990. If you have a student good in math, and do not have to worry about what specific topics are covered at a specific grade level, this series is an excellent preparation for higher math since it requires more problem solving abilities and have more challenging problems compared to Dimensions Mathematics®.