Menu

iPhone Cases...tell me all I need to know.

mom31257

Otterbox Defender, not Commuter. I bought it off EBay. Insurance is dependent on how strapped you'd be to replace it.

I've heard there are others better than Otterbox but less expensive but Otterbox seems to be the gold standard and you can get discontinued colors for half price on EBay.

• Like 1

We got an iphone 6 for dd and an iphone 5c for me. There are so many different cases on Amazon. What kinds protect the best?

Also, do you pay for insurance on your iphone?

I had an otterbox on my 4s and now on my 5 too. I decided NOT to buy insurance because instead I buy a really good case.

I have a maroo, which is adequate for the way I use it.  It has survived a drop on concrete, which surprised me for such a thin case.  My dd got me the maroo case for my iphone because I adore my maroo ipad case so much.  Just depends on how you want your iphone to feel. I'm happy with something thin so that it still slides in the pocket on my purse, etc.  Some people need heavier duty cases.

Otterbox.  That's all you need to know about cases. ;)

We don't buy insurance.  Unless things have changed since we researched it, for us it didn't make sense.  Some common things weren't covered, and it seemed to be about as expensive as replacing a phone would be.  Plus . . . we use Otterbox cases.

• Like 1

I won't comment on cases.  But insurance.  We did buy it once.  I think the first time the kids had phones.  And then we got it for all of us.  DH is the one who dropped the phone and had to be replaced.  :-P  But in the money we had paid for the insurance all ready and the deductible we had to pay, it ended up not being worth it at all.  I think we saved less than $50, probably more like $20.

I'd say find out how much the insurance would be and set that amount aside each month.  That way when/ if you need to use "insurance" you have some or all of the money set aside.

• Like 2

Otterbox Defender - I got mine when I bought my phone, but I saw some on sale at Target recently and Amazon had good prices. Pretty much everyone I know IRL with an iPhone has an Otterbox Defender. I got one with a pattern on the back that reminds me a bit of a modern quilt. I love that case. lol

I have AT&T and the insurance came standard with the upgrade via Next. If it was not required by my carrier (and I think it is) and the devices were new, then I'd buy Apple Care+ plus just liked I do for all my Apple devices.

Otterbox.

My dh's work puts their iPhones in Otterboxes. One guy was on top of a reservoir. You know, those really tall water towers with the town's name on it? Yeah, he was up there, talking on the phone. 

He dropped it.

So he climbs down the ladder, picks up the phone, and the person he was talking to was still there. Didn't even lose the call.

• Like 1

i used an Otterbox case when I first got an iPhone. I put them on my dc's phones, too. Now we all use Mophie cases. They make the phone bigger and heavier, but it has an extra battery that charges your phone. I love that I don't worry about finding a plug to recharge my phone during the day. We aren't home very much, so it might not be a need for you.

I've had the original iPhone. That lasted until the 4s and I jumped to that. My 4s is going strong. I've never had a protective case or screen cover on either phone. I've dropped them a lot. Sometimes face down on concrete. I've never experienced a scratched screen even though I toss them into the abyss that is my purse. The only 'case' I put on them is some sort of cover that makes them grippy so they don't slide out of my hand. The first had a leather case and the current one has some sort of jelly-like wrap. My phones last for years and I'm no more careful with them than I am my keys. We've also never insured our phones. There are three iPhone users in this house and no fancy cases. The teen keeps hers in her hip pocket most of the time. I don't think we're lucky or careful. I just think the phone is tough and the protective case market benefits from that.

• Like 1

Otterbox is the worst case I have ever had. I had three of them. One (Defender) didn't last super long but it was used when I got it, so oh well. The other two, Commuters that I purchased new, both crapped out on me within a few months. The plastic on the case cracked even though I had never dropped my phone. I gave up on Otterbox. My dd bought me a case at her college's bookstore that has the college logo on it. It's a no-name brand case that has lasted me nearly 2 years and protected my phone through several drops.

• Like 2

I like silicon cases.  They're cushy, in case the phone gets dropped, and they provide friction to keep the phone from sliding off surfaces, or to keep it from sliding out of my purse pocket when I bend over.  I don't like hard cases, especially the bulky ones (like Otterbox) because they're ugly, they are slippery, they make it difficult to use the phone with one hand, and they're uncomfortable on my ear.  

The one I have now is two layers.  The inner layer is squishy silicon, and it's covered by a thin, pretty outer shell that is sleek, but not slippery.  I can't remember the brand name, but I got it from Amazon.

• Like 1

I have an Incipio case on my Iphone.  It was used for several years by my DIL when I got it.  ( the case, not the phone).  The silicone has a small tear in it after 4 years, but I plan on replacing the phone when my 2 years are up in March, so I keep on using it.  I will probably replace with the same brand of case then.

It's a hard case, but not huge like the otterbox ones are.

Otterbox is the worst case I have ever had. I had three of them. One (Defender) didn't last super long but it was used when I got it, so oh well. The other two, Commuters that I purchased new, both crapped out on me within a few months. The plastic on the case cracked even though I had never dropped my phone. I gave up on Otterbox. My dd bought me a case at her college's bookstore that has the college logo on it. It's a no-name brand case that has lasted me nearly 2 years and protected my phone through several drops.

I haven't liked Otterbox either. The silicone always stretches out or tears over time...and not an extended amount of time imo. I have had better luck with Body Glove or Ballistic. Dh has had a Body Glove double layered one on his phone for a couple years and has dropped it several times with no trouble. It did come with a clear screen cover built in but he removed it. I still have a 4s, and have had an Impact Gel case on it for a long time. A friend's dh is very hard on his phones and recommended it to me when I was looking for a durable case. I have dropped mine more times than i care to count and it has done a good job of protecting it.

I always used otterboxes for my iPhones and was happy with them.

Until I got the new iPhone 6. The otterbox case was too bulky - the phone kept slipping out of my pocket. So I returned it and bought the (over priced!) Lifeproof case. I hated paying Lifeproof prices, but I do like that it is a very slim case. Fit is perfect, my apple headphones and such fit just fine in the slots and it was easy to put on the phone.

I use a Speck case too. My dd used an Otterbox for awhile but she it didn't hold up well at all. They are protective, but they are heavy, bulky, and don't last, not my personal choice.

Our whole family has used iPhones for years. We've handed down generations of iPhones. We've all dropped them plenty of times. As long as the case is well made and has a lip that goes around the front of the screen so the screen itself doesn't hit the ground, they are not likely to break. If you drop it screen down on a rock - well yeah.

Each person in the family has different taste in cases. Dd has about a dozen cases. She got most of them for less than $5 - it is all about style. She does have an Otterbox and another case that is completely waterproof and she uses those when she is going somewhere that they are called for, but not everyday. Ds uses a Speck that holds his credit card and driver's license along with his phone. Dh likes the smallest slimmest cases that offer no protection, just a slightly improved grip. He doesn't like them too grippy though, because he wants it to slide in and out of his pocket easily. I use a silicone armband case for working out/biking and a Speck case like ds's w/card holder the rest of the time. My Speck is very protective, a little bulkier than I like, but I carry it instead of a wallet or purse a lot of the time, just grab and go.

Otterbox is a ripoff. I have this case from Spigen and it is amazing:

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Case-Spigen-Tough-Armor/dp/B00DMKGPP4/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1424313087&sr=1-1&keywords=spigen+iphone+5s

I'm not particularly clumsy, but we have tile floors. I can't count the number of times I've dropped my phone on the floor and the case has protected it perfectly. I have also dropped my phone in the pool (long story) and it came out of the pool working fine. I stuck it in a bag of rice overnight and it's been fine. No problems. Spigen is less than half the cost of the Otterboxes and has a slimmer profile. Love it!

The Otterbox is known for being pretty indestructible.  If a phone is dropped, the corners and the screen are the most vulnerable, so I looked for something with extra protection in those areas.  (I personally didn't prefer the Otterbox.)  I chose the Ballistic Jewel which is inexpensive, has a taller lip above the screen (which swipers don't always like), and air cushion corners.  It's advertised as being drop test safe for 6+ feet.  I also purchased a good screen protector.  I don't have insurance.

• Like 1

Well to put it bluntly the best way to keep your phone safe is to not sit on it or drop it.

If you do want a case I would recommend one that is rubbery because a hard plastic case is not going to do much if you drop the phone (though it is still better then dropping the phone without the case) whereas the rubbery one will absorb the impact of the drop while keeping your phone safe and sound.

I can't speak about brands because I have not tried any, I speak using what I have learned looking for cases for my android and personal experience with the case I chose for it. 

Has anyone tried one of these cases?  http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-CINEYO-Rugged-kickstand-Iphone/dp/B00OA4N78O/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1425048091&sr=1-2&keywords=case+for+iphone+6  I need rugged as we have horses and a hobby farm and my phone is in my pocket and out in the barn and occ. being dropped, etc.  Right now I have an otterbox defender on my droid but might go to an iphone 6 soon.

We've had expensive and cheap cases and never broken any phones... Though the cheap cases have cracked or fallen apart. The otter box defender was too bulky, but I am really happy with my latest case - the otter box symmetry. It's sturdy and slim and attractive (I have the blue floral pattern). I got it from eBay for cheaper than the regular price and I'm very pleased with it.