Menu

College Admissions Requirement (Accredited HS)

Cakes

I am in California, where life is easy for homeschoolers. In looking ahead to colleges (rising 8th grader) I have come across this a few times, 

High school graduation

You must earn a diploma from an accredited high school (or must have completed the Indiana High School Equivalency Diploma) to be eligible for admission consideration. Students who are homeschooled or attend an alternative school should submit credentials that demonstrate equivalent levels of achievement and ability.

How does a homeschooler handle this? There is a program near me, a charter school, where kids attend two days and do their work at home. I am considering this an an option because they are accredited. But I am wondering if testing in each subject is typically sufficient?

I would love some advice from those who have been there done that!

In Indiana it was very easy to homeschool.  :)  side track issue.  sorry.   I miss being there sometimes, that's all.  ok..

from following the link in that quote going to homeschool admissions, IU still wants to have you credentials that demonstrate achievement and ability.    That tranlsates to:

send in SAT (or ACT)

transcript showing lists of courses.

they may ask for course descriptions and I'm sure there's a sticky on here for how to do that.

if you have any dual enrollment courses, send those transcripts too.

They are not saying you have to take GED or HiSET, or have accredited school diploma if you homeschooled. 

ps.:  in Indiana credit means "semesters".

and rather than do another PS....  we're not currently in indiana, nor did my oldest go back there for college.  She does not have an accredited diploma.  Her ACT scores were great enough to get plenty of merit scholarships to her first choice college.  (and yes, I see this thread accidentally ended up in the writing workshop subforum . blush on that)

We had a transcript.  ACT scores.  with her scores, the college didn't ask for course descriptions.  admitted easily and scholarships.

and yes, I wish they had chosen to put a break between the sentences so it was more obvious what they meant on the info you shared. :)  just follow the link they have on there and it explains it all.  hint:  if you apply there, check out the courses for what the state schools have for graduation and make sure you meet those minimums.

High school graduation

You must earn a diploma from an accredited high school (or must have completed the Indiana High School Equivalency Diploma) to be eligible for admission consideration. Students who are homeschooled or attend an alternative school should submit credentials that demonstrate equivalent levels of achievement and ability.

All colleges DD applied to accepted:

Parent issued transcript, listing all coursework

Course descriptions

ACT/SAT scores

SAT 2 subject tests, AP, dual enrollment courses

An accredited school was not necessary. Judging from the info on the boards, this seems to be pretty standard.

Thank you everyone! I did not realize that I posted this on the writing board, my apologies. 

This is a college of preference for DD as they have a well renowned dance program. I was worried that homeschooling may be an issue.

I will note their course requirements while planning her high school years!

If it would help you plan, Indiana's public high school graduation requirements are called Core 40. Here's a link to help you plan.  I think you'll find their regular "core 40" and "honors" to be similar to many high schools in other states in terms of how much to have and the variety. 

http://www.in.gov/icc/files/Core_40_and_Honors_Diploma_Requirements.pdf