Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW7

Robin M

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to read that book recently and abandoned it, wasn't enjoying it at all.  It didn't strike me as very Twain-ish, but maybe I didn't stick it out long enough.  Just sympathizing with your son!  ;)   I haven't tried Ivanhoe yet, but didn't enjoy my attempt at Waverly, and abandoned it too.

He says thank you!!!!

I finished Bring Up the Bodies last night. Wow, what a book, what a writer. I am def putting Mantel on my 'must read everything by" list. 

I am starting "Daughter of time" today. It is a mystery, which isn't usually my fave genre, but I've heard this is a great story.  It is only 200 pages so I can finish it quickly. I try to read at least 350 pages a week.

DH had to run his library today to do a small task and he is picking up "Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights" by Katha Pollitt for me. I need a non-fiction book after all these dramatic books, and this has been on my list for a while. DH is going out of town to a conference tomorrow, so I will have some quiet nights to read.

ETA: I am reading The Daughter of Time by Tey. There is another book with the same title that is a time traveling romance. I am not reading the time traveling romance book, but the one about Richard III.

Today I remembered that my library does e-books. 

This is the only way I read these days. My "real books" that I've started are lonely on the shelf.

I haven't been doing much reading of any type these days. We started a small kitchen remodel, only to find that ALL of the plumbing in the house was leaking and we had a pond in our crawl space. The last week has been devoted to drying out the crawl space and replacing the plumbing. I did get an amusing story out of it, though--on the day that our drain pipes were replaced, we didn't have use of the toilet for several hours. My boys were introduced to the joy of "watering a tree" in the yard. In the afternoon, just before all the systems were turned back on, my 7 y/o said "I'll be back in a minute, mom, I'm going to go fertilize a tree." "Okay hun." Wait, did he say…."Noooooo! Wait!" I had to explain to him why watering a tree in the backyard was okay, but fertilizing….yuck. 

No, it is not!!  What is unfortunate is that we have all these other things we have to do that keep us from reading! :)

Right.  Into our 24 hours of day and night, we need to insert an hour with tea or coffee in bed to read before getting started on the day, a reading siesta after lunch, and an hour or two before we go to sleep, perhaps called crepescule or something pretty like that.  And having discovered how to insert things, we need to insert shelving that exists in the same space as our current shelving so we can double or triple or quadruple our space without needing more walls.  Some people might need a whole library room behind their front shelves.

When we were little, my sister and I used to invent castles.  They always had libraries and special places for reading.

If you could add a library onto your house, what would it be like?

I think mine would be high up, with lots of windows with panes that opened all the way looking all directions (although I know that windows and bookshelves compete for wall space) with deep windowseats under which could be stored musical instruments and cozy bedding.  There would be a fireplace with a me-plus-kitty-sized rocking chair.  There would be a wooden table for laying out papers with armless wooden chairs (my kitchen ones are really comfortable) for playing music in, and a closet for the music stands to live in so we weren't always tripping over their legs and upsetting them.  I think I would put glow-in-the-dark constellations on the pale blue ceiling and have cream-coloured wood paneling and lots of good lighting next to each place I might want to read (seem to be going blind in my old age sigh) and flashlights for finding books on the shelves.  The floor would be more of our ordinary wood ones with orientals on them (wool ones - the plastic ones are impossible to get animal hair out of and where I am, there have to be animals).  There would be pretty cushions on the window seats to add colour.  The shelves would all have glass doors because anywhere I live is inevitably very dusty, housework being very low on my priority list.

Would you organize your shelves?  How?

Nan

If you could add a library onto your house, what would it be like?

Would you organize your shelves?  How?

Ah, what a pleasant fantasy -- an in-home library!  I'd discuss shelf organization with my in-home dream librarian to see what insights she or he might offer.  I might also get input from my dream housekeeper, chef, and chauffeur.  Hey, if I'm going to dream, I might as well dream big!

Regards,

Kareni

Now there,s an idea - our own librarian. I think I,d make him or her be able to teach whatever languages and music I wanted to learn, and be an expert at finding the odd bits of information I,m always wanting, as well. I don,t want my books rearranged, but someone to help make suggestions of books to read next and ... Hmmm... Lol I seem to want this thread personified and siting discretely in a corner of my library waiting for me. But actually, I think having multipleeople is more fun. I take it back, Kareni, I guess I don,t really want a librarian. I already have one here!!!

Nan

Now there,s an idea - our own librarian. I think I,d make him or her be able to teach whatever languages and music I wanted to learn, and be an expert at finding the odd bits of information I,m always wanting, as well. I don,t want my books rearranged, but someone to help make suggestions of books to read next and ... Hmmm... Lol I seem to want this thread personified and siting discretely in a corner of my library waiting for me. But actually, I think having multipleeople is more fun. I take it back, Kareni, I guess I don,t really want a librarian. I already have one here!!!

Nan

If it wasn't for the musician requirement, I'd say "it's a her." Coz I know her! She's so cool she has internet stalkers who send her info plagiarised from her own articles. :lol:

This is the only way I read these days. My "real books" that I've started are lonely on the shelf.

Ebooks and audiobooks are all I do these days. If I can't get it on my Kindle, I usually don't bother reading it. 

I finished two audiobooks yesterday and it took me by surprise because I hadn't really paid attention to where I was in each book. Suddenly I was getting the "Audible hopes you have enjoyed this program" message. :)

The first was The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon. I was fascinated not only by how many people got caught up in looking for the mythical lost city, but also by the number of people obsessed with finding those who disappeared looking for it.

I had put Out Stealing Horses aside when the Lost City became available through my library, so when I finished the first book I went back to this one. Apparently I only had a chapter left. It was okay. I was expecting to like it more than I did.

I already have my own librarian. It's pretty handy, especially since he works for an absolutely huge research library. I can pretty much get any circulating book in the world that I want at any time, and keep it for as long as I like, as long as no one else wants it. It saves me from needing a huge home library. Not that I don't have one, mind you...

I haven't been doing much reading of any type these days. We started a small kitchen remodel, only to find that ALL of the plumbing in the house was leaking and we had a pond in our crawl space. The last week has been devoted to drying out the crawl space and replacing the plumbing. I did get an amusing story out of it, though--on the day that our drain pipes were replaced, we didn't have use of the toilet for several hours. My boys were introduced to the joy of "watering a tree" in the yard. In the afternoon, just before all the systems were turned back on, my 7 y/o said "I'll be back in a minute, mom, I'm going to go fertilize a tree." "Okay hun." Wait, did he say…."Noooooo! Wait!" I had to explain to him why watering a tree in the backyard was okay, but fertilizing….yuck.

Ha ha! Clever catch, Mum! : )

Grrr... StaLkers lol. Why would they submit material to her? And why are they stalking her?

They stalk her because she's cool. She's considered an expert in a rather geeky field, even though her PhD is in an entirely different discipline and she only does this stuff for kicks. I guess they submit material to her because they want to be thought cool by a cool person? She would think they were cool if they found new info she didn't know about. She doesn't think plagiarism is cool and more than the rest of us do.

They stalk her because she's cool. She's considered an expert in a rather geeky field, even though her PhD is in an entirely different discipline and she only does this stuff for kicks. I guess they submit material to her because they want to be thought cool by a cool person? She would think they were cool if they found new info she didn't know about. She doesn't think plagiarism is cool and more than the rest of us do.

Ah. I see now. Well, she is welcome to be my librarian. I will just find a music tutor for the music part. : )

Nan

Here's a free Kindle book that sounds intriguing.  I haven't read it so I've no idea as to the content.

Cobweb Bride (Cobweb Bride Trilogy Book 1) by Vera Nazarian

"Many are called... She alone can save the world and become Death's bride.

COBWEB BRIDE (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, Book One) is a history-flavored fantasy novel with romantic elements of the Persephone myth, about Death's ultimatum to the world.

What if you killed someone and then fell in love with them?

In an alternate Renaissance world, somewhere in an imaginary "pocket" of Europe called the Kingdom of Lethe, Death comes, in the form of a grim Spaniard, to claim his Bride. Until she is found, in a single time-stopping moment all dying stops. There is no relief for the mortally wounded and the terminally ill....

Covered in white cobwebs of a thousand snow spiders she lies in the darkness... Her skin is cold as snow... Her eyes, frozen... Her gaze, fiercely alive...

While kings and emperors send expeditions to search for a suitable Bride for Death, armies of the undead wage an endless war... A black knight roams the forest at the command of his undead father... Spies and political treacheries abound at the imperial Silver Court.... Murdered lovers find themselves locked in the realm of the living...

Look closer--through the cobweb filaments of her hair and along each strand shine stars...

And one small village girl, Percy--an unwanted, ungainly middle daughter--is faced with the responsibility of granting her dying grandmother the desperate release she needs.

As a result, Percy joins the crowds of other young women of the land in a desperate quest to Death's own mysterious holding in the deepest forests of the North...

And everyone is trying to stop her."

Regards,

Kareni

My parents used to have a library but when they downsized the library didn't fit in the new house.

My dream library has deep window seats with big windows that look out over an ocean, big squishy chairs in front of a fire place and an endless supply of tea that is always at the right temperature. Oh and one of those bookcases that is actually a secret door. It has built in oak bookcases and lots of little lights that make pools where you want them. And a big desk with a comfortable chair.

When I can't sleep I design my dream house. I usually fall asleep in the library.

Less than one. (But that's just me. :lol: )

Me,too, having been traumatized by the movie when I was little. I have no idea if they are even related but the very word Oz was enough to make me refuse to have anything to do with them or to deliberately expose my children to them. I rethought it a bit when I met someone who loved the movie and said she used it as a guide for life the same way My my husband and I use Pooh, a way to classify people and situations, sort of.

Nan

My library would be upon an Island without telephones, TVs or pets.

Not a bridge just a ferry as connection.

I might want to have a park to walk in with my book on nice days.

No cooking requirements ( food often got burned when I am reading...)

The shelves would be organized by language, and then by region/country of setting.

As I have Tinnitus ( noises in my ear) I would prefer some easy listening music as background music.

As dh works at home, a library in home will never give the same level of rest or peace.

It seems so darn luxurious to be able to multiquote again! (Thanks, OtherJohn!)

Me,too, having been traumatized by the movie when I was little. I have no idea if they are even related but the very word Oz was enough to make me refuse to have anything to do with them or to deliberately expose my children to them. I rethought it a bit when I met someone who loved the movie and said she used it as a guide for life the same way My my husband and I use Pooh, a way to classify people and situations, sort of.

Nan, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who dislikes the movie. I've never understood why it is so popular. My dc never liked it either.

My library would be upon an Island without telephones, TVs or pets.
Not a bridge just a ferry as connection.
I might want to have a park to walk in with my book on nice days.
No cooking requirements ( food often got burned when I am reading...)

I love this.