Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW7

Robin M

I often have to use an index card as a bookmark, on which I write the full name of each character and a few identifying words. Especially important in Russian novels, where Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov may be referred to as "Ivanov," "Ivan Ivanovich," "Vanya," or "Masha's husband."

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, ladies!!  :)

Stacia, I took your quiz and got the same book as you (and half the rest of the board, apparently).

I finished "Pride and Prejudice" this weekend, really enjoyed it!  Now reading "The Peach Keeper" by Sarah Addison Allen, then onto "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman.  Then back to a couple more SAA titles!

As for Virginia Woolf... I tried reading Mrs. Dalloway some months back.  I couldn't follow it; it just wasn't meshing in my brain for some reason.  I have, however, always wanted to read "A Room of One's Own" so I may give that a whirl!

Stay warm... It's not at all enjoyable weather here.  Today on the radio the DJ joked that for Lent, he was giving up snow.  I think that's a fabulous idea, though I'm going a step further and giving up winter altogether.  Now I just need Mother Nature to indulge me.

[quote name="JennW in SoCal" post="6190590" tim

I've just started listening to Call the Midwife, and so far so good. I hope there aren't too many detailed birth stories -- I'm not grossed out I just get pathetically sentimental and weepy!!

I hope it is ok to mention this. It is not really a spoiler, but brace yourself for the chapter about Mrs. Jenkins. If you are sentimental and weepy be prepared. At least for me, I cried and was heartbroken for this woman. And I have been weary of reading the next book in the series. However, I do recall some gory details, as well. But I am not sorry I read it at all. But I did need time to think about it before I was ready to move on.

I hope this is ok to say without giving too much away or offending anyone. :)

After being dissapointed in The Circle by Dave Eggers, I saw Your Fathers Where Are They in the library, read the first page and got sucked into it immediately. Very interesting idea, a troubled young man kidnaps several people to talk with them, the whole book is written in dialogue. But despite the nice idea, it didn't work, it felt lame and unfinished. No more Eggers for me.

I was swept away by the beginning of Your Fathers Where Are They but felt that the rest of the novel did not sustain the initial pizzazz. You are right--interesting idea.  I am wondering if it could have been resolved in another fashion.

I hope it is ok to mention this. It is not really a spoiler, but brace yourself for the chapter about Mrs. Jenkins. If you are sentimental and weepy be prepared. At least for me, I cried and was heartbroken for this woman. And I have been weary of reading the next book in the series. However, I do recall some gory details, as well. But I am not sorry I read it at all. But I did need time to think about it before I was ready to move on.

I hope this is ok to say without giving too much away or offending anyone. :)

Thank you for the heads up!  I am enjoying it, and it does remind me of the James Herriot stories with a mix of colorful characters, a glimpse into a world and lifestyle that is now long gone, and the details of actual cases. If Mrs. Jenkins comes up while I'm listening when driving, I'll turn it off.  No need to arrive somewhere all teary eyed!!

Quick post while sitting in McDonalds. Finished Gilman's Pack of Lies. Ok. Not as good as the first in the series. Currently reading Faye Kellerman's Murder 101. Someone else reads her Decker books also so wanted to let them know that this one is really lovely in terms of the series....lots of payoff for the long term series reader.They have relocated to a small upstate New York college town, so different.

waving-white-flag.gif

Ok, I give up. I just can't do it.

I'm in the muck & mire of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, reading about every minute detail of a bad marriage that is self-destructing. I just did something I never do -- stopped reading & then flipped through page by page, skimming & confirming my thoughts that there would be about another 250 pages of this same manner before getting around to the original part of the story & the conclusion. I did read the last chapter in full & I'm actually a little surprised that it ended the way it did. Still, I just can't justify my time reading stuff I don't like (depressing, destructive behavior) over the next 250 pages just to get to the last chapter & especially the last two pages, kwim?

While I can appreciate the feminist undertones that Anne Bronte put in her book (yay for challenging the norm!), that doesn't mean I enjoy reading it. The Brontes sure seem to like wallowing in all the aspects of bad relationships, imo. That's just not my cup of tea.

I just finished Lia Silver's Laura's Wolf (Werewolf Marines).  Given the series name, you should not be surprised to learn that this is a paranormal novel.  It's a romance with adult content, and I enjoyed it.  This is not the slathering werewolf that some authors write; however, there are good and evil werewolves but that seems to be due to the inherent nature of the person.  Both hero and heroine suffer from PTSD.

"Roy Farrell is convinced that he has no future.

Roy never wanted to be anything but a Marine. But on his last tour of duty, he was bitten by a werewolf. Next thing he knew, he was locked up in a secret underground laboratory. Despite the agony caused by his newly enhanced senses, he managed to escape his captors. Unable to return to the Marines, his entire life shattered, he hid out in the woods of Yosemite.

Laura Kaplan is desperate to escape her past.

Curvy bank teller Laura was acclaimed as a hero for her courage during a bank robbery gone violently wrong. Overcome with guilt over the people she couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t save, she fled the city to seek solace in a lonely cabin in Yosemite. But she canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t run forever from the dark secrets of her past.

Can two broken people heal each other?

After Roy is badly wounded saving Laura from a mysterious enemy, they take refuge together in her snowed-in cabin. Forced to depend on each other for their very survival, they must come together to save their lives, face their fears, and find their hearts."

I haven't read it yet, but another of the author's books is available free to Kindle readers ~ Prisoner (Werewolf Marines).

Regards,

Kareni

I finished Everyman yesterday and it was quite depressing. If you do read it, it's interesting to go back and re-read the first few sections of the book after finishing it. Some books about death make you want to go out and live life to the fullest, while some make you want to give up. This book sent me towards the latter direction.  :D  It did, however, cause me to reflect on my decisions to give up my career for now and focus on my kids. I'm so glad I did that at this point in my life.

I also finished Pride and Prejudice yesterday. I really enjoyed it but somehow found it a bit tiring. When I reached the end and thought about reading another, I realized I needed a break before starting a whole new set of characters. The book also gave me some insight into my mom, who has some ideas I've never understood; I now think those ideas are the result of being raised in a British colony. I've started talking like the characters in the books and DS rolled his eyes when I called him "dear child" yesterday. I also watched the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice over the last few days. It was excellent. I now have the video for Death Comes to Pemberly on tap. The book is not very well rated, but I can't resist the Masterpiece Mystery video so the break will have to wait until after I watch this.

I started Ender's Game last night. So far I do not like it but will read it through as it was a gift from DH. I'm also pre-reading it for suitability for DS. Right now I'm thinking he's not ready for it.

I have thought Ender's Game might be too mature for Shannon too.  But then last night I started reading Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson - which she has already read. I'm thinking if she handled it she will handle Ender's Game ok? In any event, I was a little disconcerted by Steelheart (as a read for her, not for me) but she loved it and seems unfazed.  I think it's two things - she's maturing, and also that violence in a clearly imaginary world is less disturbing than violence in a world that exists now or in the past - even if the story is fictional.  What do you guys think about that? Is violence always equally disturbing, or is "real" violence much worse?

LOL!  Patronymics and Russian nicknames that don't seem to have any relation to the full name, make my head spin. 

But then I think about Margaret nickname Peggy or John nickname Jack, and I wonder if English nicknames make any more sense!

Regards,

Kareni

I have thought Ender's Game might be too mature for Shannon too.  But then last night I started reading Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson - which she has already read. I'm thinking if she handled it she will handle Ender's Game ok? In any event, I was a little disconcerted by Steelheart (as a read for her, not for me) but she loved it and seems unfazed.  I think it's two things - she's maturing, and also that violence in a clearly imaginary world is less disturbing than violence in a world that exists now or in the past - even if the story is fictional.  What do you guys think about that? Is violence always equally disturbing, or is "real" violence much worse?

I haven't read Steelheart so I can't comment about that. DS is 10 but I could imagine him being much more ready at 12. He's kind of sensitive though so I guess it depends on that too. Just the bullying at the beginning of the book he would find disturbing.

As far as real or fictional violence, I think for DS it has to do with the vividness of the communication. He was fine looking at photos of distant dead soldiers on Civil War battlefields, but clear written descriptions of bullying or fear really put him out, fictional or not.

Here's a fun post ~  10 Kitchen Accessories For The Literary Foodie

Some of the offerings include a

Romeo and Julienne Cutting Board

Pride and Prejudice Cookie Cutters

Tequila Mockingbird (which makes me think of the An Illustrated Guide to Cocktails which Jane mentioned recently)

and Banned Book Matches (for you, Stacia)

Regards,

Kareni

So no one is talking about Fat Tuesday?  A couple of people said they were signing off for Lent.  See you in 40 days!

But since I have a habit of discussing food in the book thread (ahem), let me mention that I have a pot of jambalaya simmering on the stove.

Y'all come, now!

Kareni, love the kitchen accessories!  So cute.  Love the book cake pan.  Reading this week has hit a wall.  Ivanhoe is... well... not a favorite so far.

finished this year:

Wonderful Lonesome

Happier at Home

Keeping House:  The Litany of Everyday Life

Farm Girl

How to be a High School Superstar

Wuthering Heights

You're Already Amazing

Trusting God

Death Comes for the Archbishop

The Hope Chest (by Rebekah Wilson)

Treasure in the Hills

The Quilting Bible

Complete Guide to Quilting

Genesis in Space and Time

A World Without Cancer

Confessions of an Organized Homemaker

Shyness: How Normal Behavior Became a Sickness

What's Best Next

The Granny Square Book

Kids Knitting

Homespun Bride

Make Over: Revitalizing the Many Roles You Fill

Seven-Minute Marriage Solution

Invisibles:  The Power of Anonymous Work in an Age of Relentless Self-Promotion

Pollyanna

currently reading:

The History of the Medieval World

The History of the Ancient World

East of Eden

Jane Eyre

Ivanhoe

I haven't read Steelheart so I can't comment about that. DS is 10 but I could imagine him being much more ready at 12. He's kind of sensitive though so I guess it depends on that too. Just the bullying at the beginning of the book he would find disturbing.

As far as real or fictional violence, I think for DS it has to do with the vividness of the communication. He was fine looking at photos of distant dead soldiers on Civil War battlefields, but clear written descriptions of bullying or fear really put him out, fictional or not.

Yeah, there is a big difference between 10 and 12.  For sure.

So no one is talking about Fat Tuesday?  A couple of people said they were signing off for Lent.  See you in 40 days!

But since I have a habit of discussing food in the book thread (ahem), let me mention that I have a pot of jambalaya simmering on the stove.

Y'all come, now!

I'll hope on the jet and be right over.  :party:

Ivanhoe is... well... not a favorite so far.

I've tried Ivanhoe and not made it very far. I might give it one last try before giving up and assigning it in the future to my children and seeing if they like it. Vicarious reading, sometimes the best kind.

VC:  I often have to use an index card as a bookmark, on which I write the full name of each character and a few identifying words. Especially important in Russian novels, where Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov may be referred to as "Ivanov," "Ivan Ivanovich," "Vanya," or "Masha's husband."

What a great idea. I'll have to try and remember that for the next chunky or translated book.

Are you going dark as in hunkering down from the storm or leaving us for lent? 

Tress:I'm taking a board break for Lent, but wanted to post my list before siging off.

Take care and may you come back revived, refreshed, rejuvenated and rejoicing!!!!

Openhearted:  I am still here. I didn't read last week. I spent my time decluttering to make room for my new printer (love it, by the way). It is amazing how much paperwork over the years can accumulate. So now I have my printer and laptop on my desk instead of mounds of old paperwork.

Yeah for decluttering. Always feels so much cleaner afterwards.  And yeah for the new printer as well.  I'm still working on hubby and getting more bookshelves made. 

Stacia:  Ok, I give up. I just can't do it.

Don't blame you. It was a bit depressing. I'd forgotten that part. :leaving:

Rose:   I think it's two things - she's maturing, and also that violence in a clearly imaginary world is less disturbing than violence in a world that exists now or in the past - even if the story is fictional.  What do you guys think about that? Is violence always equally disturbing, or is "real" violence much worse?

It's kind of a catch 22.  Depends on the writing, how graphic it is and the subject matter. I think real violence is always worse.  But there have been some books, when the subject matter makes me feel physically sick my stomach, then it's too much. Which is why I avoid horror. Psychological thrillers are entertaining, blood and guts horror isn't.   I couldn't read The Hunger Games and when I finally saw the movie, more out of curiosity than anything else, was so glad I didn't even try to read the book.  I haven't read Ender's Game either.  I just find books about pitting kids against kids or training kids to be soldiers, just too discomforting.  Something I won't let James read because he's sensitive and takes things way too seriously.  

Karen: Here's a fun post ~  10 Kitchen Accessories For The Literary Foodie

Love Tequila Mockingbird and even know someone who'd it be a perfect gift for.  Thanks for the link!

So, are we giving up Virginia Woolf for lent and picking someone new?   Since march is mystery month - your choices are 

Agatha Christi,

Josephine Tey

Dorothy Sayers

It's my week for being the odd one out and liking books others have abandoned!

I read Ivanhoe last year and got a kick out of it, although I may have finally had to skim to get to the end as it did seem to go on and on.  I remember thinking it might have been a good read aloud or assigned book but wouldn't swear to what age or if I really would have inflicted it on my own kids. I also remember thinking I might enjoy Rob Roy.  

I liked Tenant of Wildfell Hall, but it was Helen's helpless predicament that most struck me.  I cannot imagine living in a time when women had no rights and couldn't leave an abusive husband, couldn't expect anyone to believe in her or help her. And I love that Anne Bronte had the nerve to write such a story! I'm just wrapped in comfortable innocence here in the 21st century, and perhaps find it easier to cope with the horrors of a story that is historical rather than cope with the stories of current horrors in the world. 

Have any of you read about the Brontes, whether biographies or historical fictions about them?  I read Becoming Jane Eyre a few years back when I was on my Bronte kick, and based on what was presented there, they certainly did have a bleak and insular life. No wonder their fiction was so dark.

Can I have some leftover Jambalaya for lunch tomorrow, Jane?  I'm off to rehearsal for the Ash Wednesday service!  Mardis Gras, like Christmas Eve and Easter morning, is for people other than church musicians...

I liked Tenant of Wildfell Hall, but it was Helen's helpless predicament that most struck me.  I cannot imagine living in a time when women had no rights and couldn't leave an abusive husband, couldn't expect anyone to believe in her or help her. And I love that Anne Bronte had the nerve to write such a story! I'm just wrapped in comfortable innocence here in the 21st century, and perhaps find it easier to cope with the horrors of a story that is historical rather than cope with the stories of current horrors in the world. 

Heh. I thought she was on a pretty good wicket, a lot of the time. Most people's abusive husbands don't leave them at home for months on end while they go and stay at their club.

I've tried Ivanhoe and not made it very far. I might give it one last try before giving up and assigning it in the future to my children and seeing if they like it. Vicarious reading, sometimes the best kind.

That is actually why I am reading it now.  It is later in the lineup this year for ds in his English class.  It will be interesting to see if he likes it.  He was not a fan of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, which I loved.  Maybe, this time, our opinions will just be swapped! 

My son and I both read and enjoyed Ivanhoe when he was about 12 or 13.  Is this one of those books that you have to be 12 (or the parent of a 12 year old?) to appreciate?  Maybe it helped that we had been in Scotland before reading it.

I think being in Scotland would help anything!!!

I read Ivanhoe last year and got a kick out of it, although I may have finally had to skim to get to the end as it did seem to go on and on.  I remember thinking it might have been a good read aloud or assigned book but wouldn't swear to what age or if I really would have inflicted it on my own kids. I also remember thinking I might enjoy Rob Roy.  

It does seem like it could be tightened up a bit.  I have Rob Roy on my TBR pile right now!

I liked Tenant of Wildfell Hall, but it was Helen's helpless predicament that most struck me.  I cannot imagine living in a time when women had no rights and couldn't leave an abusive husband, couldn't expect anyone to believe in her or help her. And I love that Anne Bronte had the nerve to write such a story!

I really did want to like it. And I know it was pretty extraordinary for its time. But, it feels like slogging through mud (depressing, thick mud) to me. (I felt the same way about the LotR trilogy.) So, while I appreciate her thoughts & efforts, I don't actually want to read the whole thing. :blush:

For contrast, I've decided to start a master of brevity: Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises. :D  (Already, it is much more my style.)

Interviews Ernest Hemingway, The Art of Fiction No. 21

(In the interview, it mentions some of the books on Hemingway's bookshelves, including Virginia Woolf's The Common Reader. Maybe I'll try that one of hers. Btw, Robin, even though I said I was hesitant to try Woolf, I probably will give her a try in March since I feel like she's an author I 'should' have read by now.)

And also...

Character Studies: Lady Brett Ashley

I did read the other (free to Kindle readers) Lia Silver book I mentioned above ~ Prisoner (Werewolf Marines). I enjoyed it though it's not as complete a story as Laura's Wolf (Werewolf Marines).  Prisoner is the first of two books that feature the same couple.

"Echo was created to be a weapon.

Echo was born when a secret laboratory tried to genetically engineer the perfect assassin. Two clones survived: Echo, the success, and Charlie, the failure. Stronger and faster than any normal human, Echo knows no life but killing, and has never loved or been loved by anyone but her frail sister. But thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s about to changeĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

DJ Torres made himself into a Marine.

DJ was born a werewolf. But he grew up to be a rebel, and left his pack to join the Marines. When his helicopter was shot down in Afghanistan and his best friend lay dying in his arms, DJ bit him to save his life. Revealed as a shifter, DJ is imprisoned in the lab and subjected to mind games and experiments. But the lab rat is about to bite backĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

Can two misfit people fit together?

Echo was engineered to surpass the limits of the human body, but she doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know how to relate to other human beings. No one thought DJ could make it as a Marine, but he doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know when to quit. When theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re forced to partner up, will they betray each other as their only chance to escape? Or will they risk everything on a love that crosses the battle lines?

Prisoner is a full-length paranormal romance novel. It has a happily for now ending. The sequel, Partner, will have the happily ever after."

Regards,

Kareni

Here's a Rosemary Sutcliff book that is currently free to Kindle readers ~

Lady in Waiting by Rosemary Sutcliff

From the author's website: "The lady Ă¢â‚¬ËœwaitingĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ is Sir Walter RaleighĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s wife, Bess Throckmorton, who shared her husband with his Ă¢â‚¬Ëœbright, devouring dreamĂ¢â‚¬â„¢. From their first meeting when she was very young, to their secret marriage in the face of Queen ElizabethĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s displeasure, Bess was the one who had to stay home as he travelled the worldĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s oceans. It was she who glimpsed the treachery of Cecil. She could do little during RaleighĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s many years in the Tower of London and was alongside him when, after ElizabethĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s death, there was intricate plotting under King James, and when he attempted suicide. His trip with the ship Destiny spelled death for their son Watt, and ultimately Raleigh was beheaded. This was Rosemary SutcliffĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s first novel written expressly for adults."

From Amazon:

"Handsome and gifted, Walter Ralegh was a star even in a court of brilliant men ruled by one of the greatest monarchs of all time, Elizabeth I.

Ralegh held position and power, and was loved by the Queen, but his dream was to conquer new lands for Elizabeth, to find El Dorado.

Bess Throckmorton was one of the Queen's Maids of Honour.

Shy and retiring, her dream was to capture the heart of the proud and restless Ralegh, in whose life it seemed she would always come second.

But when Elizabeth dies and James I comes to power, RaleghĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s fortunes take a dramatic turnĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

Once a beloved courtier, he becomes a disgraced prisoner.

And his dreams of reaching El Dorado seem to be forever out of reach.

Will Bess lose Ralegh to his seemingly unattainable goal?

Will Ralegh ever be free to re-take his position in court?

Or is he doomed to stay forever out of favour with the new kingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.?

Set against the dramatic backdrop of their times, Sir Walter Ralegh and Bess ThrockmortonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s love was passionate and enduring."

Regards,

Kareni

I hear you there.  I have to keep reminding myself of their ages and that it's important for them to stretch their limits a little.  Violence is not always equally disturbing.  For me, real violence (non-fiction type) is truly worse.  Fantasy violence-I think kids really can see that it's not "real".  Ender's Game, though, was much worse because psychologically it is so screwed up.  It's not just greedy power hungry superhumans, it's adults just screwing with little kids.  It's sick.  Not that it was a bad book, but to me it is very different. There is a bit more like that in the Mistborn trilogy if she is interested in those. 

I hear you there.  I have to keep reminding myself of their ages and that it's important for them to stretch their limits a little.  Violence is not always equally disturbing.  For me, real violence (non-fiction type) is truly worse.  Fantasy violence-I think kids really can see that it's not "real".  Ender's Game, though, was much worse because psychologically it is so screwed up.  It's not just greedy power hungry superhumans, it's adults just screwing with little kids.  It's sick.  Not that it was a bad book, but to me it is very different. There is a bit more like that in the Mistborn trilogy if she is interested in those. 

For me this is the kind of thing I only started seeing once I became a parent.  When I read Ender's Game as a young adult -- it wasn't about adults screwing with little kids at all.      I would have a lot harder time offering The Hunger Games than Ender's Game  (although of course I read Hunger Games for the first time after becoming a parent). 

At the same time I think, in general, books coming out these days have much more violence - just like movies really -- and are being read at a younger age these days too.   I personally do not plan on offering any books I consider more 'teen' or 'adult' to my upcoming 10 yo (older is past that and not a reader so for her Ender's Game is a high school book at earliest anyway).   Of course, if they find books on their own that is a different story  (and so far it appears younger will be a reader - so I will have a chance to walk my talk lol).  

I read more of Ender's Game this evening and there's no way DS is ready. I myself am disturbed by the soldier mentality in young children. The protagonist is only 6 years old.

The content of the Jewish leadership discussion ("K_ke Force") put it over the edge for me as far as DS reading it anytime soon. Even though that title seems to be bestowed as praise and is a play on "Strike Force" I have no desire to introduce that word to DS. Plus some other things too small to mention but disturbing nonetheless.

I read more of Ender's Game this evening and there's no way DS is ready. I myself am disturbed by the soldier mentality in young children. The protagonist is only 6 years old.

That's the thing about Ender's Game.  You forget Ender is 6 and it's not nearly so disturbing.  Then you remember how old he (and the other kids) is and suddenly, it's extremely disturbing.  It's supposed to be.  I'm pretty sure my 13 year old son has listened to the audiobook, probably a couple years ago.  But he just gets the psychologically disturbing books and understands the deeper lessons.  Otherwise, no way would Ender's Game be okay.  My daughter (15) doesn't even want to read it because what she knows of the story disturbs her.

I took that next book quiz and got the Kid President book.  No thanks, not interested.  I can't stand him in his videos.

I finished reading Apron Strings by Mary Marony.  It was... depressing.  And I'm not sure just what the point was.  I'm thinking maybe don't drink alcohol since that seemed to be the root of all the problems, but I'm pretty sure that's not what the author's intent really was.

I got As You Wish since so many on here have enjoyed it.  I love Cary Elwes (particularly in his many appearances on Psych).  I'm enjoying it very much.

That is actually why I am reading it now.  It is later in the lineup this year for ds in his English class.  It will be interesting to see if he likes it.  He was not a fan of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, which I loved.  Maybe, this time, our opinions will just be swapped! 

I tried to read that book recently and abandoned it, wasn't enjoying it at all.  It didn't strike me as very Twain-ish, but maybe I didn't stick it out long enough.  Just sympathizing with your son!  ;)   I haven't tried Ivanhoe yet, but didn't enjoy my attempt at Waverly, and abandoned it too.

Oh no. Oh no, no, no, no, no.  I am DOOMED.  I can barely handle many characters with different names, so forget characters with the same name. It almost killed me that David Copperfield gets called different names by different people.

I am gonna need a bigger boat

Boat?

I am slowly catching up on the thread.  I have had various family things going on (all good stuff, well almost all) and haven't read much, and the books I'm currently reading are slow - Pride and Prejudice for the umpteenth time to go to sleep to, and Dragonsinger translated into French.  Not that I mind the slowness.  Just don't have much to post here.

Nan

So today's book purchases were not anyone here's fault. And I had already paid for them since it was with an audible credit.

Oh what the heck....

Hi my name is Zee and I have a book buying problem....

But you lot are my enablers, and I surround myself with other enablers so no one is ever going to stage an intervention...

I got Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence and Kit (The American Girls Series)

Last week I finished The Legacy, then I got stuck. The next book in the series was checked out, I put it on hold. The Fountainhead was still not available. I have several books on hold, but nothing came up. I really had trouble picking a book (in spite of the fact my house overflows with paperbacks). I finally started listening to a collection of short stories that I had downloaded from Audible some time ago. I enjoyed them, but afterwards, still none of my holds were in. I decided to make another pass through the LOTR. I read The Fellowship of the Ring over the long weekend and started The Two Towers yesterday. It is cold and snowy and I just want to cuddle and relax, not think. Instead of comfort food, I'm going with comfort books. I do need to move out of my winter funk soon though.

So far this year I've read: 

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Legend of Drizzt (collection of short stories)

The Legacy

Earthbound 

The Halfling's Gem 

The Kings & Queens of Roam 

Streams of Silver 

Son 

Messenger 

The Familiars 

The Crystal Shard 

Songmaster

I do agree that violence in different situations is different. Ender's game is disturbing to me because of the mental games they are playing with children, not because of the violence. 

We allowed more fantasy or very imaginary violence before we allowed more realistic violence. When I say allowed, it wasn't like the kids were asking for things and we refused them, but we didn't offer books, movies, or video games with realistic violence until later ages. To me there is a difference.

My dd is almost 16 and is reading Ender's Game right now. She doesn't love it. It is too violent and twisted for her. She really dislikes anything disturbing or violent. Ds and I both read it over the summer and really liked it. We had some great discussions after it and I have read two more Scott Orson Card books since. I think reading things at the right time, makes a huge difference in both enjoyment and how much depth you take away. 

I read Ender's game years ago, and tried to read the next book but couldn't slog through it. I don't remember being particularly disturbed by it, but I probably skimmed it more than read it--I am not really into most sci-fi. There. I said it. :)

I would be happy to read a golden age mystery rather than Virginia Woolf. I read To the Lighthouse years ago, and found it a slog. Hmm--with all the books I seem to slog through, maybe I don't actually enjoy reading. Lol

Currently working on a book about winter gardening in my area. Back to the lovely world of nonfiction.

That's the thing about Ender's Game.  You forget Ender is 6 and it's not nearly so disturbing.  Then you remember how old he (and the other kids) is and suddenly, it's extremely disturbing. 

Yes. I think part of the "danger" of the book is that Ender is extremely precocious so when we read about things like his examination of military tactics, we forget his age. 

I read Ender's game years ago, and tried to read the next book but couldn't slog through it. I don't remember being particularly disturbed by it, but I probably skimmed it more than read it--I am not really into most sci-fi. There. I said it. :)

I hated Sci-fi when I was young. I really didn't like fantasy as a genre either. Now if you look at my reading list for the year, it is all I'm reading at the moment. I also spent a couple of years reading tons of classics. Many of them I hated when I was forced to read them in high school or college, but actually enjoyed as an adult. Some I still hated. Some I liked better the first time.

Again, I think reading a book when it fits into your life and experience is important. Tastes can change, dramatically, through a lifetime.