Menu

Will Thinkwell Chem be a good fit?

Space station

My rising ninth grader completed Bridget Ardoin's Physical Science in 7th, FLVS Earth and Space Science this year, and is in the middle of their Biology class. She will be in PreCalc next year. She really enjoys on-line classes to which we add hands-on labs, projects, & extra readings. Do you think that Thinkwell Chemistry sounds like a good fit for this kid? I was thinking of adding CK01A Chemistry kit to it to give her hands on labs. The price of both of those together would be less than doing FLVS for the year, and it sounds like it would be a higher level chemistry. What do you think?

Yes.  It's not bad. 

You'd definitely want a kit.  They do some demonstrations, but otherwise there is no hands on stuff. 

I think my only complaint is that sometimes they assume too much with the practice problems.  But keeping that in mind just don't get too frustrated by it.  KWIM?  The tests seem easier than the practice stuff in between. 

Sometimes Homeschool Buyer's Co-op runs deals.  I got it for half price. 

Has your student taken a regular high school chemistry class?  Thinkwell's chem is the equivalent of advanced chem.  I personally wouldn't use it with a student who wasn't ready to jump into the equivalent of AP content.   (Note that the last time I looked, Thinkwell had not updated their AP course to align with the new AP chem test and that the only difference between the 2 versions was that the AP one was more aligned with the AP exam.  Both cover chem at the advanced level.)