Menu

What are you doing for 7th grade?

I've seen 8th and 5th, so I thought I'd start a 7th grade thread!

For my 12yo, [dyslexic] dd...

Language Arts:

Deciding between Jump In and Brave Writer's Partnership Writing for writing, leaning toward the latter.

Spelling Works

Free reading

Math:

Combo of Life of Fred and Math Mammoth

Science:

Biology, at her request, with Exploring the Way Life Works

Other:

Everything else will be unschooled/interest-led.

PE:

Roller derby, bicycling, hiking

Other:

Cooking, fiber arts, sculpture, maybe beginning Spanish

Edited by momto2Cs

I'm teaching 7th grade this year.  This is what we use.  I use a 6 day cycle, so some things are done only once every 6 days, or twice every 6 days, or 6 times every 6 days, etc.  Using a 6-day cycle allowed me to add in an extra two electives.  We work for about 7 hours a day.  There is almost no homework, though, so when those 7 hours are up, we're done.

ART:

A Child's History of Art: Painting, V.M. Hillyer  (Once a cycle)

Drawing Basics with Thomas Kinkade, Alpha Omega (Used a few times)

How to Teach Art to Children  (Use during vacation school -- Christmas and summer)

Mark Kistler: Draw in 3D: online class (Once a cycle)

BIBLE:

Studying God's Word H

The Bible

ELECTIVE (my boys love etiquette)

Communication and Interpersonal Relationships, Dave Marks

GRAMMAR:

Grammar 8, Rod and Staff  (the boys revolted. In November we switched to Easy Grammar)

Easy Grammar Plus

HEALTH (required by state law.  I let the boys do this on their own.)

Health Quest Lifepacs, Alpha Omega

HISTORY

The Story of the World 3, Susan Wise Bauer

A History of Us: 10 book series, Joy Hakim

PA history--books from the library (required by state law)

LOGIC

Follow the Directions: Scholastic 

Critical Thinking Activities: Scholastic

Logic Links C and D

Perplexors C and D

Nonsense, Robert J. Gula

Analogies Grades 6-12 

MATH

Math U See, Pre-algebra

Jousting Armadillos

SAT question of the day (online)

ACT question of the day (online)

SCIENCE

Mr. Q's Classic Science: Advanced Chemistry (We both didn't like this.  Did this from Aug to end of Dec)

https://learn.open2study.com/mod/youtube/view.php?id=57975 (Online 4 week Chemistry class--is pretty good.  Using in Jan/Feb)

The Story of Science, Joy Hakim  (Will use this through the end of the year.  Hope we like it.)

SPELLING

All About Spelling 5, 6, 7

TYPING

goodtyping.com

VOCABULARY

Vocabulary from Classical Roots, A

WRITING

Institute for Excellence in Writing: American History book

CIVICS (Required by state law)

P.E.

Hap Ki Do

• Like 1

7th Grade Year:

Math: Singapore Dimensions Math 7A & 7B

LA:

• Novels and shorts stories TBA  Lightning Literature 8  Using novels from The Big Read
  • The Art of Poetry
  • SAT word study
  • Spelling Workout Level G
  • WritingĂ¢â‚¬â€¹Ă¢â‚¬â€¹

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹          -Thinking in Threes

-CC Writing Companion

-Shurley English 7  Hake Grammar and Writing without the writing but with the dictation.

-Creative Writing=poetry and fiction   

• Article of the Week

Books on my writing & literature shelf:

Discovering voice

Writing with a thesis

Simple and Direct

Reading and writing about Literature

Study is Hard Work

On Writing Well

The New Writer's Handbook

Figuratively Speaking

We will not be reading all of these books. These are resources from which I will craft a writing program specific to my DD's needs. I will be using Thinking in Threes and Common Core Writing as a foundation. 

History:

• The Human Odyssey K12 vol. 2
  • History Odyssey Level 2 Middle Ages and Early Modern Times
  • Memoria Press Geography - Complete I continue onto II  World Geography and Cultures

Science:

• CPO Life Science

I'm working on putting together our first-ever 7th grade plan. 

So far I have:

Memory Work/Morning Time

Math - MUS Pre-Algebra (he's just started this level now), then MUS Geometry

Bible - A Survey of the Bible, vol. 1-4

Logic - Art of Argument

Latin - Henle Year 1 (He'll finish LFC Primer B this year)

Literature - We'll do discussion the LTW/TtC way with The Iliad, The Odyssey, and The Aeneid

History - Plutarch (AO's plan), Book of Centuries, + I'm still looking for a spine (ancient)

Science - The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way + science notebook

Writing - written narrations, commonplace notebook keeping, 2 5-paragraph papers per term (6 terms per year; we are learning 5P papers currently)

We're doing sentence diagramming this year, so next year we'll just diagram a sentence from our reading together during our meeting time, plus we'll talk about grammar as needed in Latin & writing.

• Like 2

DD is in 7th grade this year, and this is what she has been using this year:

History Odyssey Level 2 Early Modern and Modern, with Kingfisher History Encyclopedia and Human Odyssey volumes 2 and 3

Literature -- corresponding to History Odyssey and from my own lists of Things She Should Read

Writing With Skill 1 and 2, The Creative Writer 1

Saxon Algebra 1/2

Latin's Not So Tough Level 5-6, DuoLingo Spanish

The Fallacy Detective

Art of Poetry (we will start this in a week or so, and we will do part of it this year, part next year)

Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia coupled with labs from Mr. Q Earth Science

ARTistic Pursuits

Typing Web

Family Narnia study, Keys to the Chronicles for DD

She also participates in subjects such as geography with A Child's Geography, artist and composer study as designed by me, and whatever rotating collection of things we are reading together, such as Fifty Famous Stories Retold and the Mr. Pipes books, plus memory work.

She is using Rocksmith, Synthesia, and MusIQ to learn piano and guitar.

• Like 1

Here's my plan for 7th grade this fall for DD12:

Morning:

Spelling Power/Dictation from various sources (we've started alternating days with spelling and dictation)

Christian Studies II from Memoria Press

Rod and Staff English 6

Saxon Math 7/6

Afternoon:

Earth Science & Astronomy for the Logic Stage (Elemental science)-Mondays and Wednesdays

Western Expansion Literature Study from Beautiful Feet Books (possibly the California study as well, or reading about Nebraska and Wyoming History)- Tuesdays and Thursdays

Story of the World Vol. 3 and some Lit to go along with it- Fridays

Geography workbook-Fridays

Spanish -Rosetta Stone and Getting Started with Spanish-Probably Monday thru Thursday

Fallacy Detective

Both my kids also keep a nature journal that they work on during their own time, and DD plays the guitar.  She knits and does a little bit of crochet, and is hoping to improve her sewing skills.  We live on a farm, so I try to keep our days short so that the kids can get outside and work with animals, help on the farm, etc. 

My kids enjoyed Biology for the Logic stage this year, but said they missed doing BFSU (we did Vol. 1 last year), so we will start Vol. 2 this spring.  I'll probably still use parts of the Elemental Science books.

• Like 3

I am still contemplating things for next year but right now this is what I have:

Bible:  Still working on but I may do some of the books from Sonlight

Math: Saxon Algebra II

History: Mystery of History IV

Science: Apologia General Science

Writing: IEW Continuation Course B

LA: Easy Grammar Plus and or Editor in Chief

Spelling: Spelling Power

Vocabulary:  Either Wordly Wise 3000 or Jensen's Vocabulary

Reading: We will use books to go along with the history.

Logic:  Possibly Art of the Argument

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Music: trombone lessons but I might add in some music appreciation/composer things too.

Health:  Abeka Health 6 (since we did not use it this year)

French:  Tell Me More French

Here is what we may be doing...depending on how well we do with what we have set for this year... :)

Math: Pre-geometry, Jousting Armadillos, other

English: commonplace book, dictation, grammar (uncertain), narrations, etc.

National/World History: Abe Lincoln's World, Landmark History of the American People, etc.

Ancient History: Mesopotamia/Near East

Geography: Minn of the Missisppi, Of Courage Undaunted, etc.

Science: Scientists, Entomology, Microscopes and Microbiology, Genetics, Physics (science is her favorite subject...we'll see which of these will work out)

Latin: First Form

French: Breaking the Barrier I continued

Art: Art study and/or history, drawing, painting, etc.

Music: piano, composer/opera study

Ballet and Jazz

Here is her possible list for Literature:

Age of Fable

English Literature for Boys and Girls

Shakespeare

Poetry: Rosetti, Dickinson, Whitman

Tom Sawyer

Kidnapped

Bonnie Dundee

The Trojan War

and possibly some from what is scheduled for this year, if we don't get to them, such as North and South and Pride and Prejudice

Fairy and Fantasy Literature with older sister

I've started tentatively planning, even though we might not get to it until December or January. I've already bought LL7, PZ and The Elements. Everything else is still up in the air.

Tabletclass Pre-A or Algebra 1

Lightning Literature 7

Phonetic Zoo

McHenry's The Elements, maybe Carbon Chemistry or Lyrical Earth Science

Mapping the World with Art (finish)

Latin Prep

guitar, tumbling, horseback riding, maybe gymnastics, swim team or voice

I have no idea what to use for grammar or history. Maybe Grammar of Poetry and/or Excavating English and Big History, or we might stick with interest-led history. Hakim's History of Science looks interesting, too.

We may rejoin a co-op that we took a year off from this year, so some things could change.

CLE LA 6/7

CLE Math 7

CLE Reading 7

MP Short Stories and Poetry, American Literature

BJU World Studies with some historical fiction

BJU Life Science

MP First Form Latin

I think I want to do a study of the life of Christ or the whole New Testament, but I haven't really researched that yet. 

Co-Op might do Apologia Physical Science. If so, I'll start the year with that and start BJU when they have their usual Christmas sale for DLO. Co-Op might be doing a writing program and logic course, too. 

• Like 1

I think I have our plan almost set:

DS is 12. We will begin 7th grade whenever we finish the stuff we are working on now.

Math:  TT Algebra + Real World Algebra

Science:  RSO Biology 2

History:  History Odyssey Middle Ages with SOTW & Human Odyssey

Lit:  History based booklist to start, I would like to move into LL7 later in the year, but he is pretty against doing a formal lit study at this point.

Grammar:  Hake 8

Vocabulary:  Vocabulary Workshop C

Writing:  WWS1 (I think)

Latin:  Thinking of trying Latin for Children B.  Not sure how much he retained with Lively Latin this year.  (Our first year).

Geography:  Discovering the World of Geography 6/7, and 7/8

Art:  Meet the Masters

PE:  Tennis 

Logic:  Maybe Practical Critical Thinking (from CTC), Mindbenders

• Like 1

Subject to change, but so far this is what I have planned:

Math: finish Jacobs Algebra, move on to Geometry

L/A: continue AAS as long as needed

IEW Rockets, Radar and Robotics

History: Early Modern using HO2 and textbook

Science: chemistry using Oxford Press--maybe. Might be a totally interest led year instead. Very hard to find science that introduces anything new to this kid, nevermind that challenges him.

Language: hmm. Probably should.

Maine Studies: required once during middle school. Forgot to do it this year. Going to be super fun.

Sports: XC running, track (distance), hockey, Nordic skiing, etc etc

We sorta just started a new "school year" (after schooling year-round for so long, we're on a weird schedule).  My 12 year-old is using:

1.  Lial's Basic College Mathematics (he's about a third of the way through this)

2.  Easy Grammar Plus (I think we'll start this in the summer/fall)

3.  Daily Journaling/Notebooking

4.  Self-directed learning -  After watching his sister decide to do this, he told me that's what he wanted to do, too (so I ditched my curriculum plans).  Right now, he's working through a bridge-construction kit and we read about each bridge after they're built (each type of bridge has a purpose/history behind it).  He built a suspension bridge yesterday (which was pretty cool).  We're also reading how skyscrapers are built.  I plan to buy Thames & Cosmos' Physics Pro this weekend (he already did Physics Workshop).  Those projects will probably keep him busy for a couple of months.  I also have Janice Van Cleave's Engineering for Every Kid and plan to work through that book, too.  He wants to take apart/rebuild an engine, but where or how that's going to happen is still a mystery (? I know nothing about engines!!).  I also have a couple of books on my wishlist: The New How Things Work and How Cars Work.        

• Like 3

I am still in the planning stages but this is what I have so far. 

Math - AoPS pre-algebra OR algebra (will test at the end of this year after SM 6B is completed)

Latin - Lukeion 2 (shamelessly outsourcing that one)

Writing - finish WWS 2 then move on to WWS 3

Science - Rainbow Chemistry

Grammar - AG season 3

History - Human Odyssey Vol. 3

Music - Suzuki Violin 

If we go straight to algebra, we will take is super slow and spread it out over two years with lots of supplementation.  I have no desire to get dd too far "ahead" in math.  

I am not thrilled with Rainbow Science (specifically the religious factor) but dd likes the format.  It is the one subject we have switched curriculum every year and have actually given up some years.  So even if it is not my ideal, I am willing to stick with it.  We are finishing up physics this year and it has been more successful than anything else.  I need a far better plan for 8th grade.  Something to prepare dd for high school level science.  If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.

Well, this is what I have planned so far (of course, this is always subject to change):  This always happens...I'm changing gears again.  That's what happens in the life of a perpetual tweaker!

• TOG Y4: for History, Literature, Geography, & Church History/Worldview. Emphasis on US History.
  • Logic: Fallacy Detectives (we did Philosophy Adventures this year)
  • Science: Interest-led; so far she wants Botany w/focus on medicinal plants (I'll use Ellen McHenry w/some Amazon books I've put in my wishlist on medicinal plants) and Discovering ID; we need one more topic. With all the resources I have, we'll probably just stick with this study for the year (at least that's what I'm thinking for now.)
  • Latin: Visual Latin 2
  • Math: VT's Algebra: A Complete Course Tablet Class Pre-Algebra w/Horizons Pre-Algebra.  Couldn't resist the sale price of 50% off.
  • Writing: EIW 7
  • Grammar: Fix-It Grammar, Book 2 w/Latin. Dictation from the Narnia books in Lit.
  • Bible: Interest-Led: DD chooses a book of the Bible she wishes to study; then we fill out our Goal Journals & Discovering Doctrine Journals from SCM accordingly. I'm combining Bible with Lit and doing a Chronicles of Narnia study.  For details see below.
  • Music: Band/Flute @ local high school if we can fit it in with our other studies. She would need to be at the HS 3x a week for a period of 2 hours.  This year it was only 2x a week and I was able to juggle our schedule to fit it in barely. DD has decided she would like to give up band in favor of trying Art at the PS.
  • Art: Interest-led as we can fit it in. Art at the local PS with a great teacher! Teacher has already said she would work around our schedule.

I've decided we'll do an in-depth study of the Chronicles of Narnia for Lit and combine it with our biblical studies as well.  Not to interject one into the other, but just to see the parallels and talk about the teachings of Christ, analyzing the characters of the books and how or how they don't demonstrate those teachings.  I'm still fleshing all this out so things may evolve.  For this, I've purchased the following books for my reference:  A Family Guide to Narnia & Journey Into Narnia.  Our lit study guide will be "The Chronicles of Narnia" by Tillman. Over the summer, in preparation for this study, DD's reading list will include the following:

• The Odyssey for Boys & Girls
  • The Iliad for Boys & Girls
  • The Aeneid for Boys & Girls
  • A Wonder Book for Girls & Boys
  • Phantastes
  • Sherlock Holmes: A Study in Scarlet
  • Story of the Treasure Seekers

Since this year, each morning I have had DD answer the SAT question of the day.  So far she is acing the English questions.  Most of the math is heavy algebra and geometry which she hasn't had yet, but she does get the easier ones. We will continue with this next year.

Am I missing anything? Any glaring holes?

We do have two state requirements which need to be completed by the end of 7th grade: health, which was done in 4th grade, and Maine State History which we will do this summer. Maine State History will be on our schedule in lieu of Geography next year.  I have found some great books at our local library.  Our cores will be All About Maine: Historical People, Places, Events and/or The Amazing Story of Maine, plus Studies Weekly qtrly papers (we won't do activities).  Other books to be read during this study will be:

• Lost on a Mountain in Maine
  • Maine Immortals
  • Visions of Maine Woods w/The Maine Woods by Thoreau
  • The Bear-Dogs of Katahdin
  • The Mountains of Maine-Stories Behind Their Names
  • The Best Maine Stories
  • Lizzie Bright & The Buckminster Boy

Hopefully, that will be it for changes!  Oh, I'm also pursuing a more CM approach with TOG by scaling down to core readings only for next year with lots of discussion and rotating narrations throughout our curricula.  In addition, I actually have planned one day a month to rotate Music/Artists/Inventors study!

Extra-curricula includes: To-Shin do (martial arts), Star Bright Children's Theater, Horsemanship, puppet ministry @ our church, youth group.

Our 7th grade this year:

Math: Foerster Algebra

Science: Derek Owens Physical Science

History: American Odyssey, Read Like a Historian, Crash Course US History

English: Glencoe American Literature, DBQs for American History, How to Read Like a a Prof.

French: Online G3

Geography: McHenry

Home Ec: CLE

• Like 1

It's time to sign up for online classes! I don't know how that sneaked up on me so fast...So now for all the changes!!!!

T is going to do:

Intro to Literary Analysis at Landry Academy   Ancient Lit at Landry due to scheduling conflicts. She did the May term mythology class so she's well prepped to tackle the Iliad and the Odyssey.

Writing With Skill 2 at WTM Academy

These are both continuations of what she's done this year, so there's no major decision to be made. She's happy, I'm happy, it's a no brainer.

Finishing Algebra 1 and starting Algebra 2 using Virtual Homeschool Group's online, at your own pace Saxon courses. We stumbled onto this and it works well for us, but we need to take it slow and sometimes add in Keys to Algebra if something stumps T. If WTM Academy offers an AoPS Algebra 1 class, T will enroll. Here's hoping! ETA: IT'S LISTED ON THEIR WEBSITE!!! That's math sorted.  She's signed up for WTM's AOPS Algebra 1.

Latin 2 with Landry Academy. It's a continuation of Latin 1 using Jenney's Latin. The teacher, Mrs. Parnell, is very nice and does an excellent job breaking Latin down into doable chunks.  They switched textbooks so now it's Latin Alive 2. I like the looks of this better than Jenney's.

Spanish 3 is up in the air. If Landry changes the textbooks to something other than BJU 3, T will enroll. If not (and I won't know for a couple of months) we'll work at home using Breaking the Barrier 3 and the extras on the Potter's School syllabus. Alternatively, we might try Destinos again. It bombed a couple of years ago, but T is a different student now.  She's signed up for Landry Spanish 3, but the textbook is still not decided. They added Spanish IV with Avancemos, so I hope they'll pick soon.

American History 2 at G3 Online. This is a fun, discussion based class using the History of US books. T really loves this class this year and would pitch a fit if she couldn't do the sequel. 

Medieval Middle School history at WTM academy. This depends on their schedule, it might have to be Ancients, we'll see. I would like T to do a more rigorous history class before she starts the high school level classes at WTMA and this fits the bill perfectly.  Major change in history due to the literature class conflict. Now, we'll listen to the rest of History of US over the summer in the car and start ancient history next year using Roman Road's Ancient Greek Historians and Roman Historians. I got the deal at HSBC. I'm happy to have this all laid out and exactly the books I wanted to cover.

Science is up in the air. Possibly the history of science course at Athena's Advanced Academy, possibly Chemistry at Landry using the Spectrum textbook, possibly Chemistry at VHSG using Apologia 1st edition, possibly nutrition and electricity at Landry. We'll have to see how her intro to chem class goes in May. This is stressing me out a bit even though any of these is a good option.  T did the Pre-Chem class at Landry in May, so I feel confident about Chemistry next fall.

T asked for Intro to Python Using Minecraft and Intro to Computing with Raspberry Pi. I said yes as long as she dropped her Friday enrichment coop and she agreed.

She'll continue with theater classes, voice/choir and violin. She plays tennis on a homeschool team and does speed skating 3 times a week. She may want to try crew next year if we can fit the practice times in. A new homeschool string/woodwind ensemble is forming, so we'll probably add this to the line-up if we can make the practices.

• Like 1

We sorta just started a new "school year" (after schooling year-round for so long, we're on a weird schedule).  My 12 year-old is using:

4.  Self-directed learning -  After watching his sister decide to do this, he told me that's what he wanted to do, too (so I ditched my curriculum plans).  Right now, he's working through a bridge-construction kit and we read about each bridge after they're built (each type of bridge has a purpose/history behind it).  He built a suspension bridge yesterday (which was pretty cool).  We're also reading how skyscrapers are built.  I plan to buy Thames & Cosmos' Physics Pro this weekend (he already did Physics Workshop).  Those projects will probably keep him busy for a couple of months.  I also have Janice Van Cleave's Engineering for Every Kid and plan to work through that book, too.  He wants to take apart/rebuild an engine, but where or how that's going to happen is still a mystery (? I know nothing about engines!!).  I also have a couple of books on my wishlist: The New How Things Work and How Cars Work.        

Can you provide the website for your "self directed learning" projects?  My son would love to make this part of his daily work - bridge construction, etc.  We will be studying Biology, so this may need to be part of future plans.

• Like 1

From Chiguirre : Science is up in the air. Possibly the history of science course at Athena's Advanced Academy, possibly Chemistry at Landry using the Spectrum textbook, possibly Chemistry at VHSG using Apologia 1st edition, possibly nutrition and electricity at Landry. We'll have to see how her intro to chem class goes in May. This is stressing me out a bit even though any of these is a good option.

I am having trouble with quotes.

In response to above post. Science is stressing me out also. My ds did Athena's advanced Academy (AAA) Physics this year. He loves it and can not wait each week for the homework videos. He answers the unit homework problems with no issues (15 mins every 3 weeks). I strongly believe he is learning but I have not way of knowing. He is now an expert on YouTube science videos. I would however like more productivity. I want an online science the pushes him not just entertains him. Do you find the Laundry classes to be more productive/more effort require than the AAA classes. I also plan for ds to sign up for AAA meet the scientist next year. I thinking about requiring a weekly paper on the scientist.

Can you provide the website for your "self directed learning" projects?  My son would love to make this part of his daily work - bridge construction, etc.  We will be studying Biology, so this may need to be part of future plans.

We don't follow a program or curriculum.  I wish there was something we could follow!  My oldest two are kinesthetic learners and they are constantly building, experimenting, building models, etc.  I can give you some links to what I'm using/plan to use, though!

I bought Physics Pro yesterday (shop around for a better price, tho).  I think it's supposed to be here tomorrow:   http://www.hometrainingtools.com/physics-pro-kit/p/KT-PHYSPRO/  He did the cheaper/easier version a couple of years ago (Physics Workshop) and really enjoyed it.  We paired Physics Workshop with Real Science 4 Kids' Physics textbook (the middle school one).  He was able to figure out most of the projects, but there were a few that we had to *ahem* wait until Daddy came home from work (I'm not the most mechanical person in the world).   :D

Here's some bridge kits - we bought one of the K'Nex Education kits:  http://www.hometrainingtools.com/knex-bridges-kit/p/KT-KNBRIDG/  Here's an expensive version (Holy cow, this has 2,000 pieces):  http://www.hometrainingtools.com/knex-real-bridge-building-kit/p/KT-KNREAL/  Here is a simple kit that builds 13 different bridges:  http://www.amazon.com/KNEX-Education-Intro-Structures-Bridges/dp/B000PQJJ42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423772676&sr=8-1&keywords=bridge+building+kit  We found several books at the library about the types of bridges and their uses.  He also read a book about how skyscrapers are built.

I'm buying this book: The Art of Construction.  You can use paper and craft items to demonstrate architectural/engineering principles.  This actually looks pretty cool.  http://www.hometrainingtools.com/art-of-construction/p/BK-ARTCNST/  

I'm also planning to buy this or borrow it from the library: The New How Things Work.  http://www.amazon.com/New-Way-Things-Work/dp/0395938473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423773001&sr=8-1&keywords=the+new+how+things+work   He's read several other books by this author - Castle and Cathedral.  They're very good - both at our library, too.

We checked out Junk Drawer Physics from the library this week.  It's a book with simple experiments that you can do with stuff around the house.   He's been ok with it, but he seems to do better with stuff like the Thames & Kosmos/KNex kits.

He wants to build an engine, but I have no idea how we're going to do this.  There are some engine kits out there, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to go (they're expensive, too).  Here's one that looks really cool:  http://www.amazon.com/Trends-UK-Haynes-Build-Engine/dp/B00GJYE0S4/ref=pd_sim_b_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=17CNWY2KA4KG49CSH274   This one looks interesting, but it looks more like a model:  http://www.amazon.com/Revell-Metal-Body-Ford-Engine/dp/B0006I8QHK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1423773941&sr=1-1&keywords=ford+engine  I wonder if I couldn't just look on craigslist for a junk engine that he can take apart or something...   :confused1:

Sorry for rambling!

• Like 3

My DD will be in 7th this fall. She will do:

Daily Bible reading

Saxon 7/6

Apologia General Science

Veritas Press 1815-Modern self paced

Grammar Revolution-Get Smart

Essentials in Writing 7

Logic of English advanced spelling lists

Teaching the Classics

Cover story ( Maybe for fun. She loves to write)

In response to above post. Science is stressing me out also. My ds did Athena's advanced Academy (AAA) Physics this year. He loves it and can not wait each week for the homework videos. He answers the unit homework problems with no issues (15 mins every 3 weeks). I strongly believe he is learning but I have not way of knowing. He is now an expert on YouTube science videos. I would however like more productivity. I want an online science the pushes him not just entertains him. Do you find the Laundry classes to be more productive/more effort require than the AAA classes. I also plan for ds to sign up for AAA meet the scientist next year. I thinking about requiring a weekly paper on the scientist.

The Landry classes I'm considering are listed for 8-12 for nutrition and electricity and 9-12 for chemistry. The high school chemistry class is a just that. Judging from the English and foreign language classes she's done, it will require about 5-6 hours/week including the 1.5 hours of class. I'd expect a slightly lighter work load for nutrition or electricity, but I could be totally wrong about that.

There's also an online, at your own pace chemistry class at VHSG.org that uses Apologia's 1st or 2nd edition chemistry 1 text. That might be a good option if you think he'd enjoy the challenge but might need more support or need to skip some of the tougher topics. They also have physics if he'd like to try a course with more math. There are also video based high school classes at GPB:

http://www.gpb.org/chemistry-physics

These might be a good option.

CLE Math 700's + LOF Pre Algebra (Fridays with Fred) ----I think we'll be keeping it simple with JUST CLE and see what happens.

Rod and Staff Spelling 7 - maybe--nope. His spelling is fine so I'm dropping this off to do list

Apologia General Science

Uncle Eric Books--just Penny Candy and Whatever Happened to Justice Also Lots of living books on WW1 and WW2

Rod and Staff Bible -maybe--nope he'll be soaping his way through the life of David

Easy Grammar Plus--not sure

Jump In?? or maybe Essentials in Writing 7???--writing is the subject I struggle with every. single. year.

Piano

Yes, I'm tweaking

Oh my word. I just looked back through this thread and realize that what we will be doing is almost unrecognizable from what I originally planned

Soooo I'll retype

CLE math, la, ss, reading, and Bible (yes, really)

Apologia General Science

ArtPac(s)

We may throw is something like WWS if I feel like it is needed. We'll see, but I want to get into the year first and see how it goes.

Piano

• Like 1

*curls up in fetal position; cries*

I'll be back...

Okay, on the laptop now.

I'm in denial.

My Father's World Exp.-1850, adding in SOTW 3 AG

Saxon Algebra 1/2 (fingers crossed)

Apologia General Science

Rod & Staff grammar 7, spelling 8

CLE Reading 7

Progeny Press guides for Witch of Blackbird Pond and Johnny Tremain

IEW writing for early American history

Discovering the World of Geography 7-8

Fallacy Detective

Competitive gymnastics, hopefully level 7, which means ~20ish hours in the gym every week.  She LOVES it.

She also crafts when she can. Rainbow Loom, sewing, knitting, crocheting.  She loves to cook, so I'm trying to find things for her to learn.

If you are doing CLE 700, are you taking two years for pre-algebra?  I love CLE and hate to switch, but I don't want to take two years for pre-a.

If you are doing Apologia General Science, are you using the notebook?

I want to add in Spanish, probably in 8th, but I need something fairly self-directed and something that I can continue through high school for credit.

• Like 1

My 12yo started 7th two weeks ago. This is what she is doing:

Math: Easy Learn Maths 6a & 6b and Mathsonline for further practice and supplementation.

English: Successful English 5b and 6a (includes grammar, comprehension, writing).

Writing: Sonlight Core F LA and plenty of free writing as she loves to write stories.

Literature: SL Core F lit.

Music: piano, violin, family singing, music theory.

History: SL Core F

Science:SL Science F

Group subjects with siblings (rotated....that's the subjects, not the siblings...)

Modern History: Sotw 4 & Diana Waring material

Science in the Beginning (wanted to finish this)

Australian History

Art: Mark Kistler online drawing, and units from Layers of Learning.

She also wants to do Latin but we haven't started that yet.

I'm sea-sawing between calling him 6th or 7th next year.  His bday is Jan 2003, but he is dyslexic and so could maybe use an extra year.

Math:  AoPS Pre-Algebra

Plutarch, composer, artist, nature study & Shakespeare from AO

A Picturesque Tale of Progress (spreading this out over 2-3 years)

A USA biography every 6 wk term.  (haven't picked them yet; may let him choose)

Science???  What do I want for science???? 

Literature and Free Reading from AO years 5-6

Narrations, Book of Commonplace, Timeline, Nature Journal ala CM

b/c we are remediating spelling (dyslexia)...a homegrown spelling program based on the old Pearson lessons.

• Like 1

We may rejoin a co-op that we took a year off from this year, so some things could change.

CLE LA 6/7

CLE Math 7

CLE Reading 7

MP Short Stories and Poetry, American Literature

BJU World Studies with some historical fiction

BJU Life Science

MP First Form Latin

I think I want to do a study of the life of Christ or the whole New Testament, but I haven't really researched that yet. 

Co-Op might do Apologia Physical Science. If so, I'll start the year with that and start BJU when they have their usual Christmas sale for DLO. Co-Op might be doing a writing program and logic course, too. 

I met with the co-op families, and they would like me to head it back up again. I started the co-op and took a year off.

Apologia Physical Science is a definite. I'll have ds do it and begin BJU Life science the 2nd semester and spread it throughout the year we have the DLO access.

There is going to be a middle school writing and/or literature class. The teacher is looking into some things, so I'm not sure yet if there will be an actual curriculum involved. If there's no literature, I will still use the MP book at home and spread it out over 7th/8th grades.

The electives are going to be one semester of GA history and Music Appreciation.

He'll do swim team this summer, play in a church basketball league, and I'm going to check out our local 4H.

Math: MM Pre-algebra, LOF Pre-algebra 0, 1, and 2

History: Finish SOTW 4 with lots of go along books from the library. He'll outline the chapter and then take the test on Fridays. We do a chapter per week but sometime slow down and take a few weeks on parts of history that interest us like Civil War and WW II.

Writing: start WWS 2 (will take 2 years to complete) and The Creative Writer 2 (he does a lot of creative writing in his free time so he is currently doing the 1st level on his own)

Grammar: continue Analytical Grammar and finish Killgallon Paragraphs for Middle School (going back and forth between them)

Spelling: Natural Speller (This will be a new resource for us)

Foreign Language: Getting Started with Spanish

Science: Ellen McHenry resources and BFSU 3

Logic: ?

Literature: ?

I have a few things hashed out, but not all.  

WTMA Expository Writing 2

Duke TIP The Reader's Journey, Vol. 1 (So excited about this!)

The Magic Lens

Word w/in the Word 

AoPS - Intro. to Algebra, Number Theory

Spanish @ co-op

Latin for MS (Cambridge) @ co-op

Art of Argument 

Science - probably whatever live science is available at co-op, this year was chemistry/physics for MS. Maybe biology w/dissection for MS? Waiting to see the options local & live.

History - We're finishing up SotW this year and I'm sad :(. History has been such a constant, I can't believe it's time for a change! I still have to do my research here.

We don't follow a program or curriculum.  I wish there was something we could follow!  My oldest two are kinesthetic learners and they are constantly building, experimenting, building models, etc.  I can give you some links to what I'm using/plan to use, though!

I bought Physics Pro yesterday (shop around for a better price, tho).  I think it's supposed to be here tomorrow:   http://www.hometrainingtools.com/physics-pro-kit/p/KT-PHYSPRO/  He did the cheaper/easier version a couple of years ago (Physics Workshop) and really enjoyed it.  We paired Physics Workshop with Real Science 4 Kids' Physics textbook (the middle school one).  He was able to figure out most of the projects, but there were a few that we had to *ahem* wait until Daddy came home from work (I'm not the most mechanical person in the world).   :D

Here's some bridge kits - we bought one of the K'Nex Education kits:  http://www.hometrainingtools.com/knex-bridges-kit/p/KT-KNBRIDG/  Here's an expensive version (Holy cow, this has 2,000 pieces):  http://www.hometrainingtools.com/knex-real-bridge-building-kit/p/KT-KNREAL/  Here is a simple kit that builds 13 different bridges:  http://www.amazon.com/KNEX-Education-Intro-Structures-Bridges/dp/B000PQJJ42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423772676&sr=8-1&keywords=bridge+building+kit  We found several books at the library about the types of bridges and their uses.  He also read a book about how skyscrapers are built.

I'm buying this book: The Art of Construction.  You can use paper and craft items to demonstrate architectural/engineering principles.  This actually looks pretty cool.  http://www.hometrainingtools.com/art-of-construction/p/BK-ARTCNST/  

I'm also planning to buy this or borrow it from the library: The New How Things Work.  http://www.amazon.com/New-Way-Things-Work/dp/0395938473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423773001&sr=8-1&keywords=the+new+how+things+work   He's read several other books by this author - Castle and Cathedral.  They're very good - both at our library, too.

We checked out Junk Drawer Physics from the library this week.  It's a book with simple experiments that you can do with stuff around the house.   He's been ok with it, but he seems to do better with stuff like the Thames & Kosmos/KNex kits.

He wants to build an engine, but I have no idea how we're going to do this.  There are some engine kits out there, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to go (they're expensive, too).  Here's one that looks really cool:  http://www.amazon.com/Trends-UK-Haynes-Build-Engine/dp/B00GJYE0S4/ref=pd_sim_b_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=17CNWY2KA4KG49CSH274   This one looks interesting, but it looks more like a model:  http://www.amazon.com/Revell-Metal-Body-Ford-Engine/dp/B0006I8QHK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1423773941&sr=1-1&keywords=ford+engine  I wonder if I couldn't just look on craigslist for a junk engine that he can take apart or something...   :confused1:

Sorry for rambling!

My oldest is in 7th now. 

Math: finished TT prealgebra, but I felt it was thin, and she wasn't getting the concepts, so I moved her into AOPS prealgebra, hoping that she will get the concepts more.

Science: outsourced this to a general science class. Best money I ever spent!

Writing: WWS2 and some additional papers I've assigned, usually related to history.

LA: Easy Grammar, Wordly Wise 8

Lit: TOG and I added in a bunch of great books with Garlic Press lit guides, because I thought ToG was thin on lit. Also added in some poetry.

SS/History: TOG Dialectic Year 3

We are nearly done with 7th.  This is what we've done:

Math-CLE 700s and started TT Algebra.  I think I'm going to consider this all Pre-Algebra, though.  He did not like AoPS PreA, but I'm going to try iAoPS for Algebra when he's done with TT.

LA-Landry English III

Science-Biology with labs

World Geography using Trail Guide to World Geography.  I would not recommend this resource.

Spanish for Children A

Morning meeting time with the family: Bible, Grammar rule to recite/memorize, Latin chant, Fable or poem, and a problem or two from Challenging Word Problems

• Like 1

I am doing 7th now and will have a 7th grader next year.  

grammar:  Rod & Staff

writing:  IEW theme, next year SWICC course

spelling:  lists

vocab:  First Form Latin this year...Second form next year and the  new 8th grader is moving on t Vocab for Cl Roots

math: Jacobs Algebra w/Callahan videos

history:  this year Sl Core H, my 7th grader next year is doing Biblioplan Ancients(her choice)

science: this year Astronomy/geology,  my 7th grader next year is doing BJU Life

Lit:  tied to history, next year some tied to history and some with lit guides(maybe MP)

So some things in our home stay the same for 7th, others are changing for 7th

• Like 1

We are nearly done with 7th.  This is what we've done:

Math-CLE 700s and started TT Algebra.  I think I'm going to consider this all Pre-Algebra, though.  He did not like AoPS PreA, but I'm going to try iAoPS for Algebra when he's done with TT.

LA-Landry English III

Science-Biology with labs

World Geography using Trail Guide to World Geography.  I would not recommend this resource.

Spanish for Children A

Morning meeting time with the family: Bible, Grammar rule to recite/memorize, Latin chant, Fable or poem, and a problem or two from Challenging Word Problems

Would you please share why you would not recommend the Trail Guide resource? I am considering this for next year. Thanks!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For 7th grade in the fall my dd will be doing.....

Heart of Dakota Revival to Revolution

Bob Jones Life Science DLO

Writing With Skill 1

Easy Grammar Plus

Teaching Textbooks/Life of Fred

Swim Team

violin

Well, I think I finally got English straightened out, though I'm still working on history. My plan:

Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Maths 1-2

So You Really Want to Learn English 2-3

Jump In Maxwell's School Composition

Lightning Literature 7

Phonetic Zoo

McHenry's The Elements, then either Carbon Chemistry, Dr. Dave's Chemistry, or Lyrical Earth Science

Mapping the World with Art (2nd half)

Latin Prep 1 - on second thought, we will just do English From the Roots Up. Latin is becoming a time suck that I'm not sure I want to invest in.

Theory Time

guitar lessons, horseback riding, gymnastics, maybe swimming and/or voice lessons

After looking at the Project Passport packs from Home School in the Woods, she thinks she wants to do that, plus additional studies of the Vikings because "they're cool."  :laugh:

Current plan is Vikings/Middle Ages using A Picturesque Tale of Progress, Famous Men of the Middle Ages and The Useborne Internet Linked Viking World as spines. 

Edited by Aurelia

So far I have:

Vocabulary: Ceaser's English 2

Grammar and writing: MCT Essay Voyage, WSS2

Literature: Lightning Literature 7

Math: ds needs to chose: Jacob's algebra, or Foerster's Alg or Lial's and/or LOF Algebra

History/Art: We are going to do renaissance and I want to mix art and science with history together

Science: Ellen Mchenry's Elements and Carbon Chemistry

DD will be in 7th and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m trying to combine her as much as I can for one last year with her 8th grade brother, so I can save time teaching.

Bible: ? 
Math: Saxon 8/7

Spelling: SWR
Grammar: Analytical Grammar (We used the junior version a few years ago), ELTL 5
Lit/Writing: Teaching the Classics and Windows to the World
Easy Writing

History/Civics: Classical Historian American  (includes essay writing instruction)
Our Constitution Rocks by Juliette Turner
One Vote by Ben Carson

North Star Geography Two-year plan

Science: ABeka Earth & Space (with video streaming)
IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m going to have her do this with her brother in 8th since sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s already done botany and zoology twice which is what ABeka 7th grade science would cover and I can keep them together. SheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s using Ellen McHenryĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Elements right now, so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll have her do Carbon Chemistry and Cells in 8th when DS is in 9th. Ellen McHenry's Carbon Chemistry, Cells, Botany, Herbology-various resources

Foreign language: Chinese
Piano lessons
I have Atelier Art 6 on the shelf, so we might use that