Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW6

Robin M

Nan, I simply can't fathom that much snow.  I'm a lifelong midwest girl, so no stranger to snow or long winters.  But I've never sunk up to my armpits.  Not since I was five or so anyway, LOL!!  Our snow has been melting a bit and I have my fingers crossed that Mother Nature isn't planning a sequel.

It isn't that deep everywhere.   Our roof and (thankfully) the stairs down to the lake and my laundryroom blew clear.  Our yard is especially deep.  I think we wound up with quite a lot of the lake's snow.  It won't stay light and fluffy and sinkable-intoable, either.  Soon, I will probably be able to walk on top of it without sinking as deeply.  I'm kicking myself for not getting my snow shoes out of storage.  It was snowing again this morning.  Any paths made are gone.  I am SO glad we tromped rather than shovelled.  My husband's car did better as far as staying shovelled out goes.  The percipitation forecast sounds rather monotonous - 40% chance of snow every day. : )  The drifts are absolutely gorgeous, all lovely stripy swoopy dune patterns.

Nan

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharing a poem by Kathleen Raine whose biography I'm currently reading. Such a beautiful evocation of Immanence...

The Wilderness

I came too late to the hills: they were swept bare

Winters before I was born of song and story,

Of spell or speech with power of oracle or invocation,

The great ash long dead by a roofless house, its branches rotten,

The voice of the crows an inarticulate cry,

And from the wells and springs the holy water ebbed away.

A child I ran in the wind on a withered moor

Crying out after those great presences who were not there,

Long lost in the forgetfulness of the forgotten.

Only the archaic forms themselves could tell!

In sacred speech of hoodie on gray stone, or hawk in air,

Of Eden where the lonely rowan bends over the dark pool.

Yet I have glimpsed the bright mountain behind the mountain,

Knowledge under the leaves, tasted the bitter berries red,

Drunk water cold and clear from an inexhaustible hidden fountain.

Wow.  Is all her stuff like that?

Is this what happens when you burn all your woods?  I hope my great grandchildren don't write stuff like that due to global warming.

Nan

How I miss multiquote. And having time to read this thread. But--

Congratulations Eliana, and best wishes to the happy couple!

M-mv, congratulations and felicitations also!

Jane, I have no remorse. I'm still working through the results of the NYRB sale Stacia tipped dh and me off to, was it a year ago? Two years?

I finished The Stories of J. F. Powers, a chunkster because it's apparently three short story collections published as one great tome. I must hunt down his other books. I'm reading a little Whitman every night and may someday finish, which would be doing one better than Whitman himself. The Golden Bowl next, I think. Oh and all of us but Wee Girl went to see Marlowe's Doctor Faustus last night, which was rare and wonderful. Sometimes I envy those of you who live in less spread-apart geographies, and have more frequent access to museums, theaters and the like. It's a long, long way to Dallas or Houston.

... and the libretto of Don Giovanni, by Lorenzo da Ponte (who knew?).

Here we go, with DG seducing the lovely Zerlina:

Don Giovanni

Là ci darem la mano,

Là mi dirai di sì.

Vedi, non è lontano;

Partiam, ben mio, da qui.

Zerlina

Vorrei e non vorrei,

Mi trema un poco il cor.

Felice, è ver, sarei,

Ma può burlarmi ancor.

Don Giovanni Vieni, mio bel diletto!

Zerlina Mi fa pietà Masetto.

Don Giovanni Io cangierò tua sorte.

Zerlina Presto ... non son più forte.

Don Giovanni Andiam! Andiam!

Zerlina Andiam!

Both Andiam, andiam, mio bene,

a ristorar le pene

d'un innocente amor.

------------------

In English:

Don Giovanni There we will give each other our hands,

There you will say 'yes' to me.

See, it's not far;

Let's go there, my dear.

Zerlina I would like to, and I wouldn't,

My heart is trembling a little.

True, I could be happy,

But he could trick me again.

Don Giovanni Come, my beautiful delight!

Zerlina I feel sorry for Masetto.

Don Giovanni I will change your fate.

Zerlina Soon...I won't be strong anymore.

Don Giovanni Let's go! Let's go!

Zerlina Let's go!

Both Let's go, let's go, my dear,

To restablish the values

Of an innocent love.

------------

But we're not really interested in Da Ponte, are we? Here it is properly:

(you can skip some seduction and go right to 2:25)

Here's a free, for Kindle readers, award winning medieval historical romance for those who might be interested.  I haven't read it, so I can't comment on its content.

Patricia Ryan's Silken Threads

"Graeham Fox comes to London to rescue his overlord’s daughter from her abusive husband, in return for which he is promised her sister’s hand in marriage and a vast estate—quite a prize for a landless soldier who’s never had a home of his own. Attacked and disabled by a broken leg, he rents a room in the humble home of Joanna Chapman, a silk merchant’s widow. Joanna, having learned not to trust handsome, charming devils like Graeham, lets him think her husband is still alive in order to keep him at a distance. Mindful of his mission—and the promised reward—Graeham tries to resist his feelings for Joanna, but the white-hot desire simmering between them cannot be denied. Inspired by Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window, Silken Threads was honored with Romance Writers of America’s RITA® Award for Best Long Historical Romance."

"Inspired by Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window" certainly makes the book sound intriguing!

Regards,

Kareni

I am not keeping up with the thread at all, sorry.  But I did finish book #5 last night, finally!  It was God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens.  Whew, that was a hard one to get through!  It's not that it offended me or that I was bored...I guess it was just too much.  I didn't need that much information.  OK, I was a little bored at times.  Some chapters were so interesting, and others not so much.  

I am SO ready for some fiction!  Next on my list is The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters.  I have no idea what it's about.  I probably ordered it from the library months ago after reading a review that I no longer remember.  It's a long one, so I'll probably continue to be behind for a while, but that's okay because it's fiction!  :)

I'm also still working on La Casa de los Espíritus by Isabel Allende.  I'm moving slowly, but this book will be finished this year.  And, I'm actually enjoying it!

The kids and I are still reading a chapter a day of The Marvelous Land of Oz.  We're also pushing our way through the second Story of the World by SWB and Among the Meadow People by Clara Dillingham Pierson.  

Dd and I finished reading Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie S. Tolan, and we've moved on to Applewhites at Wit's End.  Dd is enjoying these, but I think I'm enjoying them more.  :)

Ds and I have finished Ramona the Pest, Ramona the Brave, and Ramona and Her Father.  We're finally going back to the beginning of the series with Beezus and Ramona.  He keeps saying, "I love these books."  It makes me so happy!  Dd has also been reading through them when she has free time.

I'm also missing mulitquote. Is there any other thread where it's as important? I think not.

It looks like 2015 is going to be my Year of Abandoning Books. I'm dropping Wuthering Heights. I tried, I really did. I made it to 43%, 14 chapters. At first I even thought I was kind of liking it this time. But no. I just can't. I feel so sorry for Charlotte and Emily. They must really been miserable, and must have hated people. I've never read anything of Anne's, so I can't comment on her. These characters are just so over-the-top evil and since I know how it ends I also know there's no redemption for anyone.(Mild spoiler in white - highlight to read). I'm a little sorry because I had hoped to see this story differently this time. I actually liked Jane Eyre better upon later readings, though I still don't love it. WH is just so much worse. It probably doesn't help that I don't care much for Byronic heroes.

So, moving on, I started Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It's not my usual type of book, but it's the IRL book club choice for February. I don't know if I'll like it, but I can definitely get through it. I've even had a few actual LOL moments. These guys are wonderfully irreverent.

I love how so many of us have read or are reading As You Wish. That's one of the wonderful things about this thread. One person mentioned it, a bunch of Princess Bride fans jumped on it, and now a good number of our members have read, are reading, or plan to read, the same book. 

I just finished a book that I have been wanting to read for about a year. Why Kings Confess is the latest instalment in the C.S. Harris series that Amy, Ladydusk, and I have been reading. I think a couple of others have tried it too. It was really good. Well worth the wait. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18114102-why-kings-confess

Honestly, my BaW friends, you gals are falling down on the job these days. Sigh. Since nobody else has shared this, I have to post the link from Time Magazine:

‘Hot Dudes Reading’ Is the Best Thing to Happen to Your Instagram Feed This Week

Or, if you'd rather just go directly to the Instagram link ;) :

http://instagram.com/hotdudesreading/

(And, hey, one of the dudes is reading Moby Dick so I know I'm not the only one tackling it this year.)

:lol:

Objectifying men AND their reading. Yes, I'm shallow. :P

And, you're welcome. :biggrinjester:

Moby what? Beg pardon--I didn't quite catch that...?

Speaking of articles, I read an NYRB piece on, among other things, California's controversial "affirmative consent" (aka "Yes Means Yes") statute right after going over Don Giovanni, and reflected how there really is nothing new under the sun. What is consent? What is coercion? Is it a dramatic or comedic opera, this "human life" project that all the world's staging?

One good thing about all the field work I'm doing right now - long drives are good for audio books.  I finished My Antonia, which I decided to listen to because of this thread. So, thanks! It was lovely. It's definitely going on my girls' high school reading lists.

The only other interesting thing I had on my phone to listen to was The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, so I'm giving those another listen. A classic pleasure, kind of like mac 'n cheese.

Well today was NOT conductive to thinking about Obsession in Death. All hell broke lose around lunch time and that is all I can say online. Need sleep now.

I shouldn't have liked your post and wouldn't have if my jet lagged brain had been thinking. Sorry. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: I hope a good night's sleep helps.

I was just looking at the top 100 romances over on Goodreadshttps://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/487-top-100-romance-novels-on-goodreadsand discovered that I have only read 9 of them. One book on the list really surprised me, Murakami's Norwegian Wood......is it a romance? Someone here read it, most of the books are pretty fluffy.

I've had a hard time keeping up with the thread this week - my apologies.

My "currently reading" list is much too long, so this week I have tried to focus on only reading a few titles in an attempt to actually finish something.  My focus books this week are Raising Your Spirited Child and Northanger Abbey. I'm also continuing with 2 chapters per week of HotMW so that I can catch up to the rest of you.

I am about 75% of the way through Northanger, but I can only read a few chapters at a time.  I find Catherine to be too naive/gullible/dense to be enjoyable.  I find myself cringing and being embarrassed on her behalf, which is not enjoyable. (and is also the reason that I avoid most contemporary "comedy" movies and sitcoms)  I think that the other reason I find it to be uncomfortable is that Catherine has such a runaway imagination, and builds up so many unrealistic fantasies in her head, which is very much like a certain woman I know... :blushing:

In case anyone is interested, The Green Ember is free on Kindle today.  I put in on DD's Kindle, and then had to drag her away from it to eat lunch today!

This is just not going to be a productive reading week for me.  I attended a conference that required me to be away from home for two nights.  My audio book started on the drive is a Terry Pratchett that my son suggested.  But between meetings and coming home to file a report, start on taxes, get caught up on miscellaneous stuff (How does a pile build after three days/two nights away?), I just don't seem to have much time to crack open a book.

Sigh.

Where is the Instagram feed:  Hot Mamas Reading? 

ETA:  Or given the East coast weather pattern, should that be Cold Mamas Snuggling under Afghans Reading?

I was just looking at the top 100 romances over on Goodreadshttps://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/487-top-100-romance-novels-on-goodreadsand discovered that I have only read 9 of them. One book on the list really surprised me, Murakami's Norwegian Wood......is it a romance? Someone here read it, most of the books are pretty fluffy.

It probably won't surprise regular readers here when I say that I've read (or in some cases attempted to read but did not finish) fifty-three of these hundred romances.  It's an interesting list.  And, no, I haven't read Murakami's Norwegian Wood!

Regards,

Kareni

Where is the Instagram feed:  Hot Mamas Reading? 

ETA:  Or given the East coast weather pattern, should that be Cold Mamas Snuggling under Afghans Reading?

Hot Mamas reading would be appropriate here today.  It is 88 degrees outside right now!  At violin lessons yesterday one of the moms commented she was refusing to run the a/c in her house because it is freaking February!!  

With all the recent mentions of The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure and As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride, it's possible that some might enjoy reading this Jo Walton post from last year.  I did.

After Paris: Meta, Irony, Narrative, Frames, and The Princess Bride

Regards,

Kareni

LOL - Well that list wasn't exactly what I was expecting.  I have read Jane Eyre, Gone with the Wind, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility,and most most unfortunately The Thorn Birds (which taught me to avoid anything that says sweeping or saga on the back).   I know that North and South, The Rosie Project (here), and the Geisha one exist.  I've never heard of the other 88, probably thanks to The Thorn Birds lol.  Romance to me means something more along the lines of Friends and Lovers or The Riddlemaster of Hed or The Blue Sword or Countess Below Stairs or Artists in Crime or The Householder or Lord of Two Lands or The Sorcerer and the Signet or Green Grass of Wyoming or Gaudy Night or ... I read lots of romances.  I'd say I mostly read romances. I guess they aren't the same ones that everyone else reads.  Is there a literary definition of romance that I don't know about?  I also read lots of romances of the grand adventure type.  Or are those are romanTIC rather than romances?  Is there difference?

Nan

Mind if I interrupt the book discussions with a brief proud mama brag?  I've "known" many of you for years now, so want to share...

My college boy was awarded his department's annual prize for having the top academic standing among juniors!  Don't think there's any scholarship money involved, but it will look good on those grad school applications and I've got proud mama bragging rights for a while!

Mind if I interrupt the book discussions with a brief proud mama brag? I've "known" many of you for years now, so want to share...

My college boy was awarded his department's annual prize for having the top academic standing among juniors! Don't think there's any scholarship money involved, but it will look good on those grad school applications and I've got proud mama bragging rights for a while!

What fantastic news Jenn! Congratulations to your college boy and to his proud parents.

Mind if I interrupt the book discussions with a brief proud mama brag?  I've "known" many of you for years now, so want to share...

My college boy was awarded his department's annual prize for having the top academic standing among juniors!  Don't think there's any scholarship money involved, but it will look good on those grad school applications and I've got proud mama bragging rights for a while!

College Boy's "Aunt Jane" is also proud of his accomplishments!  Bravo!

:party:

That's wonderful!

I read the first 5 chapters of Pride and Prejudice last night. I personally found it hilarious but I'm thinking it's unintentional. Is it?

What makes you think it was unintentional?  I assumed it was intentional.  The author pokes fun at people and situations many places in her books, doesn't she?

Nan

How wonderful!

What makes you think it was unintentional?  I assumed it was intentional.  The author pokes fun at people and situations many places in her books, doesn't she?

Nan

Jane Austen's humor is totally intentional, and very funny -- Mr and Mrs Bennet are a hoot, and just wait til you meet Mr. Collins and Lady Catherine!  

I think her works have an unearned reputation for being schmaltzy romances when they are actually sharp social satire.  That's the premise of the Bitch in a Bonnet books, reclaiming Austen and setting her high on the humor pedestal where she belongs.

They were both named to the President's List for their Fall 2015 work, and they've received invitations to the honor society.

Congratulations to your daughters!

And congratulations to your son!

Regards,

Kareni

Jane Austen's humor is totally intentional, and very funny -- Mr and Mrs Bennet are a hoot, and just wait til you meet Mr. Collins and Lady Catherine!  

I think her works have an unearned reputation for being schmaltzy romances when they are actually sharp social satire.  That's the premise of the Bitch in a Bonnet books, reclaiming Austen and setting her high on the humor pedestal where she belongs.

Yes, this is exactly it! Not having read Austen before, I was expecting a schmaltzy romance and what I got was her poking fun. My confusion made me wonder if it was intentional or if that was "just the times" and I didn't get it.

I read the first 5 chapters of Pride and Prejudice last night. I personally found it hilarious but I'm thinking it's unintentional. Is it?

Congratulations! Most people don't get Austen's humor the first time they read one of her novels.They think it's all about romance, and there's actually very little of what we call romance in any of her works. She was sharp tongued (penned?) and hilarious.

Well, I never thought of Austen as romances, really, I always thought of it as social satire. But here is a new twist I got from reading the intro to my particular version of P&P:  it can be understood in the tradition of stories about failures to see clearly, failures in vision & judgment - which places it in the tradition of Oedipus and King Lear.  I wouldn't have thought of this myself, but once it was suggested, I thought - of course! Elizabeth is failing to see what is in front of her - re: Wickham and Darcy - just like Lear failed to see which of his daughters really loved him, and Oedipus failed to see the many obvious signals that his story wasn't going to end well.  But instead of this failure to see leading to tragedy, it is redeemed, and it all ends well . . . Anyway, sometimes reading the introduction to a book can actually lead to an epiphany! And a whole new plan for approaching tragic literature  with your high schooler . . . 

Anyway, I am entirely enjoying my revisit to Austen this month.

Good work Jenn! Because really, it's mom who gets the credit for these things. You did the heavy lifting for the first eighteen years.

You probably already have something in mind, however I found Discovering Literature: Romantic and Victorians with an article about the Pre Raphaelites. Every thing you want to know with lots of names and rabbit trails to follow.

I've got The Pre-Raphaelites and their Circle, with a useful introduction and generous selections from the Rossettis, Morris, Meredith, and Swinburne, that has been sitting on my shelf unread for too long. It would be nice to read some Victorian poetry not by Browning or Tennyson. But it'll mean four fairly hefty books going at once.

Yes, I'm about 2/3 of the way through Pride and Prejudice, and I've found many moments to be quite funny.  A few of the characters are rather over the top (looking at you, Mrs. Bennet and Lydia!), and though I hadn't thought of it as satirical, I can see that now that it's mentioned.  Really enjoying it.

Jenn, congrats to your son!!  Tell him there's a whole gaggle of mamas quite proud of him.  :)

Well, I never thought of Austen as romances, really, I always thought of it as social satire. But here is a new twist I got from reading the intro to my particular version of P&P:  it can be understood in the tradition of stories about failures to see clearly, failures in vision & judgment - which places it in the tradition of Oedipus and King Lear.  I wouldn't have thought of this myself, but once it was suggested, I thought - of course! Elizabeth is failing to see what is in front of her - re: Wickham and Darcy - just like Lear failed to see which of his daughters really loved him, and Oedipus failed to see the many obvious signals that his story wasn't going to end well.  But instead of this failure to see leading to tragedy, it is redeemed, and it all ends well . . . Anyway, sometimes reading the introduction to a book can actually lead to an epiphany! And a whole new plan for approaching tragic literature  with your high schooler . . . 

Anyway, I am entirely enjoying my revisit to Austen this month.

Being a dork and quoting myself to disagree with myself - I read the chapter with Darcy's first proposal last night, and I actually think Elizabeth was seeing him pretty clearly to judge him harshly at that point - who spends his proposal explaining all the reasons he really didn't want to fall in love, and how he had to work so hard to convince himself that it was ok to demean himself to make an offer?  Assuming it will be immediately jumped at, of course.  Pride, all right, and the Prejudice at this point seems entirely reasonable.

Jenn, woohoo for college boy!

Stacia, I love the Hot Dudes Reading. Awesome.

I finished Parenting The Wholehearted Child and hope to finish up The Outlaw Demon Wails today. My aunt passed away on Wednesday so I spent my entire day yesterday at my mom's trying to keep her together. The funeral will be Monday so we still have a lot ahead of us. February is not my month.

JennW congrats to your son!

Since it is now in the press I can talk about why my week has sucked and why I haven't read much after I finished Obsession in Death. Have you seen the movie Mean Girls? Well some of our first year students thought making a burn book was a good idea. It of course was not, and all hell broke lose. My second years have been fantastic. My firsties have been a mixed bag. My seniors are clueless. (high school here is three years). Other seniors have been idiots. I had to stop a mob yesterday. I am going to spend the weekend reading Northanger Abbey because that seems like the perfect antidote. If I finish that I am going to read one of the romances that Kareni has recommended as free that I have downloaded.

Since it is now in the press I can talk about why my week has sucked and why I haven't read much after I finished Obsession in Death. Have you seen the movie Mean Girls? Well some of our first year students thought making a burn book was a good idea. It of course was not, and all hell broke lose. My second years have been fantastic. My firsties have been a mixed bag. My seniors are clueless. (high school here is three years). Other seniors have been idiots. I had to stop a mob yesterday. I am going to spend the weekend reading Northanger Abbey because that seems like the perfect antidote. If I finish that I am going to read one of the romances that Kareni has recommended as free that I have downloaded.

Oh, no - what a horrible thing. I'm so sorry.  :grouphug:

:grouphug:   I'm sorry that you and the students had such a bad week.  Hugs to you all.