Menu

Twice Exceptional Questions, should I post here or on accelerated learner forum?

treasuremapper

I need help, but not sure where to post.  My daughter was in GT and special education at school and we now homeschool. She is gifted and has Asperger's syndrome.

Her issues are complex, and I need help and guidance.  She's way ahead academically in some ways and way behind in others.   I considered posting in the general education forum but that seems wrong, too.

Right now, as always, the issues cannot be teased apart.

Thank you.

I have found more information here, but I think it really depends on the situation. My son is on the high end of moderately gifted, and he is a slow enough worker (pacing) that acceleration is not really something we do a lot (he tends to work on very challenging grade level material and work on skill building that crosses content areas).

My son is 10, and he has PDD-NOS. I would be glad to help if I can. There is also a new social group for parents of kids on the spectrum. I think you can see it on the groups page, and you can request to join. 

A breakthrough book for me (and I haven't even digested the whole thing yet) is Different Minds by Dierdre Lovecky. This book talks about what 2e Aspies look like and compares/contrasts it with kids who are gifted but not 2e, 2e ADHD, etc. It's very thorough and really goes through many different learning tasks/subjects systematically.

http://www.amazon.com/Different-Minds-Children-Asperger-Syndrome/dp/1853029645/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422766033&sr=1-1&keywords=different+mindsIt made me feel more confident to have someone put words to what I was seeing and confirm that my instincts were correct. I had a very trying and demoralizing portfolio review from an assessor last summer--she didn't take issue with his academics, just with me being too xyz (basically being too schooly and not enough like her), but this book confirmed that my concerns about my son were valid, and my approach was actually very solid (hers might have been as well, but she really, really didn't want to hear about mine because it was too schooly). My approach just needed tweaking here and there and a big dose of confidence when I saw conflicting and seemingly wonky results in some areas. 

I am also becoming aware of just how pervasive the issues are for these kiddos--not in a bad way, but in a, "yeah, that's not about IQ or remediation; it's just totally different wiring and always will be." I think this helps me stay on an even keel with both good news and bad news about my kiddo.

I had luck posting on both boards depending on the topic.  

Ditto. I've got one confirmed 2E and two suspected 2E. My oldest has the GT masking the LD, and my youngest has the LD masking the GT. So I tend to mostly post about my oldest on the AL board and the youngest here, but it really depends on the specific topic.

Thank you. I did submit a request to join the social group but have not been approved yet.  I hope they will approve me.  I read Different Minds a few years ago -- I should probably read it again.  "totally different wiring" -- yes!  That's it.  I feel that my concerns for her do not fit in either forum, and yet, fit in both. Also, the issues are so intertwined for her.  

I appreciate your help.

Part of the grand scheme or things with both boards is that you are going to get a broader response base answering at times in order to help you troubleshoot. Then, you have to kind of separate out the advice into pieces and run the components through your own "What If..." filter. It's not a straight line from question to answer to application for sure--more of a chipping away at it by degrees.

When you get a feel for how different people answer questions and where they are coming from, it can help you also figure out how to ask several narrow questions to combine them into a bigger answer for your situation too. Or how to drill down to the heart of it over time (OhElizabeth is good at this).

There are many ways to skin a cat, many ways to suggest skinning a cat, and many ways to ask questions about skinning a cat to find answers for the part of skinning a cat that you are stuck on today. :-) I know, probably not terribly helpful, but just keep plugging away with the questions until you have all the parts and pieces. We all do it in our own way. Some start with the big how to skin a cat question. some ask a specific question and we don't know they are skinning a cat when we answer, and most of us combine those approaches in multiple ways. Some of us watch the others skin their cats, scribble notes, and apply the technique to how to skin a deer until we get stuck and have to ask about skinning the deer.

I have a gifted aspie dd 14, happy to help out if I can...lots of research..actual had her met with Dr. Lovecky and a ton of other people as we teased out issues

What all do you know about services (IEPs and such) for this population? We qualify for one because of our state's definition of a student with autism, but I know someone on the boards that may want to PM you if you have information.

More than I want too :) I am also a school social worker :) happy to help anyone! To the OP, girls on the spectrum are still not really understood I feel, also for many GT aspies (boys and girls) they get stuck in the rut of things being too easy or too hard..finding the just right fit is hard! We have a unique situation right now, we are still technically enrolled in public school but our IEP is for online school at home. We have hired advocates etc. I became even more well versed in the law after dealing with the school system through middle school... She is a freshman now