Menu

Math suggestions for kinesthetic and visual learners?

Misha

DD1 is a visual learner, she is very intense, developmentally delayed, and has some behavioral issues. 

DD2 is a highly kinesthetic learner and can not sit still for anything. This isn't an issue in anything other than math as for everything else she's just on the move. 

We started formal schooling late for both girls and this has worked out well as we're able to move ahead where it's warranted and stay behind in other areas. For math, we've used Math Mammoth up until this point, mostly successfully. DD2 is terribly bored, hates sitting still for it, hates how the written questions are worded, and is beginning to loathe math, formerly her favorite subject. 

I would like to find something that will work for both children - suggestions would be very greatly appreciated. 

Thank you! 

Try some of the suggestions on this thread: 

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499692-looking-to-do-some-relaxed-math-here-want-to-share-ideas/

FWIW, MM did not work well for either of my kids even though I think it is a great program.  Are you using any of the hands on suggestions at the front of each section?  Or just doing the worksheets?

What level of math are they in?

I'd think Rightstart would be a good fit for both of them if they're at the right levels for it--it only goes up to about a grade 5/6 level.

Make sure math is on a surface that is standing height for your second, or get her an exercise ball to bounce and rock on instead of a chair...

Try some of the suggestions on this thread: 

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499692-looking-to-do-some-relaxed-math-here-want-to-share-ideas/

FWIW, MM did not work well for either of my kids even though I think it is a great program.  Are you using any of the hands on suggestions at the front of each section?  Or just doing the worksheets?

Wow, thank you so much for sharing the link - there is so much in here to go through! I wish I could like this more than once. :)

What level of math are they in?

I'd think Rightstart would be a good fit for both of them if they're at the right levels for it--it only goes up to about a grade 5/6 level.

Make sure math is on a surface that is standing height for your second, or get her an exercise ball to bounce and rock on instead of a chair...

A yoga / exercise ball as a seat is a great idea - I always enjoyed mine (until DH broke it accidentally). I'll have to pick one up for DD2. 

I have supplemented with some K'nex kits for my hands on fella. We use a lot of different maths around here though to keep it interesting for him. MM stays as our core curriculum though.

Beast Academy is very visually stimulating as well. He also uses that one as a supplement.

ETA: When I said K'nex kits I meant the math kits, not the science kits. Thought I should just be clear with that.

I used to tutor Learning Difference kids going into college... many that I worked with were particularly Kinesthetic, visual, or couldn't sit... I specialized in working on their writing and organization... and often we outlined essays while walking outside...

that kind of thing.  

I'd say Rightstart also... in terms of picking ONE program to go with.  It's what I use with my kiddos and love it.  My kiddos are really young, so I don't know much about later programs...  

My visual kid is doing good with MM and BA.

For MM it REALLY helps if I print in color. At first I tried to be thrifty and do b&w...absolute no go. I also only do a bit of MM a day. And I try to have that include a part of a measurement chapter, which tend to be hands-on.

He prefers the BA guides over everything else. But in general he prefers to read graphic novel books. The practice books are b&w, but still have plenty of diagrams.

Algebra Readiness Made Easy is a supplement. We don't do it every day. It has a picture for each problem.

If I were richer I might have tried more things. But so far this is working out, so....