Menu

Question for those who use Sonlight - higher cores

I've used SL in the past. I currently use P3/4 with my 6yo special needs daughter. I will be going back to SL in August for my older kids as well. In the upper cores, do they include literary analysis in the IG? I'm talking about things like symbolism, theme, etc. Or will I have to find those things in the books myself? Thanks.

SL upper levels teach very, very little literary analysis, at least in cores 100 and 300 which are the only ones I own. I do have the most recent versions. The questions are either too shallow (basic comprehension) or too open-ended with no direction in the guide as to acceptable answers. ("How did the character's actions make you feel? Reflect on a time in your life when you betrayed a friend.")

Most of my dc use TOG at the high school level but one son has a legitimate need for a simpler, git'er-done program so he is doing SL Core 300. I have yet to use the SL IG for literature, because I have found very good study guides online for all of the books he's studied so far. I recommend this approach if you want to use SL's upper cores. Look for study guides by Glencoe, Penguin, Cummings, GradeSaver, and PinkMonkey. Any of these will be comparable to a decent public school approach to these classic high school texts.

I do use SL's lit schedule because the pacing is a good fit for my son. If your students are not very fast readers but you want to use the more in-depth study guides, you might want to trim out a third or more of the novels.